Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do you believe Global Warming is happening?

Yes
 9 (36%)
Yes, but not as bad as they say
 2 (8%)
Yes, and i think it will be even worse than they say
 6 (24%)
No, its all made up
 3 (12%)
No idea, i live in a cave(with internet accesst o LSD only)
 0 (0%)
Yes, bit its not man made...
 5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 9073 times)

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »
I also want to say, in this thread, that, while I agree with the idea of conservation, and while I definitely think humans are (perhaps severely) exacerbating what would've been a problematic long-term weather pattern, I have huge problems with many environmentalist tactics.  One of these is pandering to apocalyptic panic.  Another is the rabid appeal to recycling propaganda without regard for the full picture.

My favorite is the snazzy little term I've just started hearing: "global warming denier."

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »
Global warming charges flare
Scientific group says Exxon Mobil misleading public

Associated Press

W ASHINGTON Exxon Mobil Corp. gave $16 million to 43 ideological groups between 1998 and 2005 in an effort to mislead the public by discrediting the science behind global warming, the Union of Concerned Scientists asserted Wednesday.

The report by the advocacy group mirrors similar claims by Britain's leading scientific academy. Last September, the Royal Society wrote the oil company asking it to halt support for groups that "misrepresented the science of climate change."

Many scientists say carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases from tailpipes and smokestacks are warming the atmosphere like a greenhouse, melting Arctic sea ice and alpine glaciers and disturbing the lives of animals and plants.

Irving-based Exxon Mobil called the scientists' report Wednesday "yet another attempt to smear our name and confuse the discussion of the serious issue of CO2 emissions and global climate change."

Exxon Mobil lists on its Web site nearly $133 million in 2005 contributions globally, including $6.8 million for "public information and policy research" distributed to more than 140 think tanks, universities, foundations, associations and other groups. Some of those have publicly disputed any link between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming.

Alden Meyer, the Union of Concerned Scientists' strategy and policy director, said in a teleconference that Exxon Mobil based its tactics on those of tobacco companies by misrepresenting peer-reviewed scientific studies or emphasizing only selected facts.

Dr. James McCarthy, a professor at Harvard University, said the company has sought to "create the illusion of a vigorous debate" about global warming.

The company said its financial support doesn't mean control over any group's views.

"We find some of them persuasive and enlightening, and some not," Exxon Mobil spokesman Dave Gardner said. "But there is value in the debate they prompt if it can lead to better informed and more optimal public policy decisions."

He said the company believes that despite many scientific uncertainties, the risk that gas emissions may have serious environmental effects justifies taking action to limit them.

when companies try to mislead the public(oil, tobbacco, etc...) should they be fined HUGE fines, so large that there would be no incentive to ever mislead people?

i say yes!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
At a firm interview, I talked to a partner about freedom/liberalism (as in political theory), and he said, "I believe in freedom, which is exactly why I don't believe in global warming.  That's just a left-wing conspiracy to restrict our freedoms and control our lives."

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »
At a firm interview, I talked to a partner about freedom/liberalism (as in political theory), and he said, "I believe in freedom, which is exactly why I don't believe in global warming.  That's just a left-wig conspiracy to restrict our freedoms and control our lives."

what a nut.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »

hehe

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2007, 04:17:10 PM »

i love his ears...

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2007, 08:06:04 PM »
Ok here's my chance to promote my shameless liberal environmentalist ideals.

www.fightglobalwarming.com

www.carbonfund.org

I donate $7.50 a month to replace my carbon output so that its 0 for the whole entire year. Paying this much will get farmers in California to turn carbon into energy and will make an impact.

"Many small people doing many small things will change the world" - Quote on the Berlin Wall
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
Cow power California has 1.7 million cows and more than 2,000 dairies. A dozen dairies have already installed methane digesters to turn cow manure - a source of one of the most destructive greenhouse gases - into electricity. The digester extracts methane gas from cow poop and uses it to power an electricity-generating turbine. Other dairies have plans to produce a bovine biogas that will be piped to power plants.

from CNNMONEY

Whole article for you other crunchy granola types

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz2/0701/gallery.8greentechs/index.html
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2007, 10:37:18 PM »
Ahhh environmental protection, it's like my engineering ethics class all over again. Still, I gotta say that the manure to electricity scheme is pretty brilliant. Unlike wind power which is just a dud.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2007, 09:17:26 AM »
if the sea levels really do rise, where will people on low lying islands move too?

who will take them in?