Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ok, so this is kind of a stupid question about postage....  (Read 2340 times)

lawyerboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, so this is kind of a stupid question about postage....
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 09:30:26 AM »
I agree completely with Ginatio. I've already had professors tell me not to worry about it, they will take care of the mailing. I've gotten many recommendations in the past, and they always do it on University Letterhead and Envelopes and the University pays for the postage. The only exception would be a professor who is no longer at the university (perhaps retired). Then, you may wish to supply an envelope and postage. But really, I've never come across a professor who demanded postage--in fact, most of them would rather charge the university (which has budgeted for postage) than take the money out of your pocket (they know that law school applications are $$$$$).

Just my two cents.

Whether or not they use your envelope and postage, it's rude to not include it.  You're asking them, essentially, to do you a favor.  Therefore, you should provide everything they need to do it, including postage.  It's the polite, considerate thing to do.

whatever makes you feel better, i guess.

my dad's a prof, and i asked him about all this LOR etiquette stuff back when I was applying. He said that the department covers postage for things like this, and that profs send recs using university envelopes/stationary, so if you include a stamped, addressed envelope, they'll likely throw it out anyway. and generally, you shouldn't worry too much about small formalities such as this, since writing recommendations is basically part of a professor's job description.

and although including a postage-paid envelope may be polite and considerate, not including it isn't impolite or inconsiderate...  ::)

newy

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 10:33:28 AM »
We are so obsessive.  I can't believe there a whole thread debating about whether or not to give profs a stamped envelope.   ;)

But on that note, when you go to get your Dean's Certification, do you need to give them addressed envelopes for every certification they are filling out?  And how about postage?

dgatl

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 10:36:31 AM »
yes, and yes.  or look at my previous post for a less stressful method

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 01:30:09 PM »
For the Dean's cert, I'll most likely be sending 6 of them to my school.  I know they'll some office schmuck look at my record, check off the "no" boxes, and use a stamp to put the dean's signature.  (I went to a huge school, so there's no way the dean does them himself).  I don't plan on including postage.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 11:24:56 AM »
My UG said specifically that a SASE must be included with the Dean's forms.  I think it's worth the extra $.74 to not have my 2 most important apps screwed up by lack of a Dean's Cert.

Cool Hand Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 06:27:10 AM »
Um, applications cost $70, so go ahead and spring for 60 cents postage (two ounces 37+23 cents--which should be more than safe).
3.58/172 LSN: CoolHandLuke
Since that seems to be the thing y'all do around here.

pepem

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2004, 10:34:43 AM »
I am of the "providing postage as common courtesy" mindset, however my recommender is on sabatical in the UK right now, and I don't know of any way of getting the proper postage to mail from the UK to the US.  I think you have to use UK stamps, not US stamps.  Anyone know anything about this?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2004, 03:25:33 PM »
I'd ask the post office...maybe they have a suggestion.

I am of the "providing postage as common courtesy" mindset, however my recommender is on sabatical in the UK right now, and I don't know of any way of getting the proper postage to mail from the UK to the US.  I think you have to use UK stamps, not US stamps.  Anyone know anything about this?