Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ok, so this is kind of a stupid question about postage....  (Read 2298 times)

murkydreamer

Ok, so this is kind of a stupid question about postage....
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:36:56 PM »
I'm sending my profs a package with all the materials they might find relevant in writing me a recommendation.  If I include a stamped envelope (for sending the rec to LSAC) in that package, how much postage should I put on that? 

Ahh, the little details.  ;D

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, so this is kind of a stupid question about postage....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 05:43:41 PM »
I'm sending my profs a package with all the materials they might find relevant in writing me a recommendation.  If I include a stamped envelope (for sending the rec to LSAC) in that package, how much postage should I put on that? 

Ahh, the little details.  ;D

37 cents?  The recommendation probably won't exceed a couple pages, right?  I doubt it would need more than the standard amount of postage.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 05:46:31 PM »
ask them to sign across the envelope seal and give it back to you.  tell them that you intend on sending the letter with a tracking device to ensure LSAC receives it.  then do it.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 05:51:36 PM »
I wouldn't include postage. There's just no need to worry about it. Profs send this stuff out through their academic department, which will cover the postage.

M2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »
I disagree...itsb etter to include postage rather than assume that postage will be paid for by the department

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 06:52:09 PM »
I disagree...itsb etter to include postage rather than assume that postage will be paid for by the department

but that's what they do... the prof isn't going to put postage on it himself and mail it out. he will put it in a departmental mailer, and give it to the secretary to send through the campus mail system, since the university is probably paying for mass postage anyway...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 07:29:34 PM »
Whether or not they use your envelope and postage, it's rude to not include it.  You're asking them, essentially, to do you a favor.  Therefore, you should provide everything they need to do it, including postage.  It's the polite, considerate thing to do.

M2

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 07:37:39 PM »
Whether or not they use your envelope and postage, it's rude to not include it.  You're asking them, essentially, to do you a favor.  Therefore, you should provide everything they need to do it, including postage.  It's the polite, considerate thing to do.

my thoughts exactly

KareBear

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kare516
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 07:55:26 PM »
I agree. Including postage shouldn't even be a question, its common courtesy.

But back to the original question - if you decide to use a large envelope (for example, if you don't want your recommendation to be folded) it might require additional postage.  Otherwise, a regular 37 cent stamp would do.

Ginatio

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

whatever makes you feel better, i guess.

my dad's a prof, and i asked him about all this LOR etiquette stuff back when I was applying. He said that the department covers postage for things like this, and that profs send recs using university envelopes/stationary, so if you include a stamped, addressed envelope, they'll likely throw it out anyway. and generally, you shouldn't worry too much about small formalities such as this, since writing recommendations is basically part of a professor's job description.

and although including a postage-paid envelope may be polite and considerate, not including it isn't impolite or inconsiderate...  ::)