Law School Discussion

Is this prompt ONLY a DS?

.zone.

• View Profile
Is this prompt ONLY a DS?
« on: July 16, 2006, 09:02:06 PM »
I haven't read each school's prompt or suggestions for a personal statement, but this is the only prompt from UW (sorry for its length):

"The primary goal of the admissions process is to enroll students who demonstrate outstanding academic and professional promise and whose background and experience will enhance the diversity of the student body, thereby enriching the law school educational environment. An applicant will be regarded as potentially contributing to student diversity if his or her background or experience would not ordinarily be well represented in the student body. Factors that indicate this diversity include, but are not limited to, the following: persevering against substantial obstacles such as economic disadvantage, family or personal adversity or other social hardships, disability, prejudice or discrimination; having lived in a foreign country or spoken a language other than English at home; career goals (with particular attention paid to the applicant’s commitment to public service); employment history; educational background (including graduate study); evidence of and potential for leadership (perhaps demonstrated by extracurricular, school, civic or community service achievement); special talents or unique life experiences; or geographic diversity. Applicants are invited to describe these and other aspects of their backgrounds that would benefit the diversity of the law school community. Please limit your response to 700 words (two double-spaced pages)."

Is this a general PS prompt or is this a diversity statement only?  Would this mean UW only requires a diversity statement instead of a more general PS?
 :-\ ???

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: Is this prompt ONLY a DS?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:34:22 PM »
It's a PS prompt for you to tell them why you are different.  That should be the goal of the ps anyway, for you to stand out to adcomms.  It's not as 'specific' as a diversity statement, which is usually more narrow as to what makes you diverse.

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »
It's a PS prompt for you to tell them why you are different.  That should be the goal of the ps anyway, for you to stand out to adcomms.  It's not as 'specific' as a diversity statement, which is usually more narrow as to what makes you diverse.

Thanks for the clarification!   :)

redemption

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:14:54 AM »
I read it as a pretty standard prompt for a diversity statement. Look around the application instructions and you may find that they require a PS in addition to this.

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
I read it as a pretty standard prompt for a diversity statement. Look around the application instructions and you may find that they require a PS in addition to this.

Well, they do require a PS, but this is what they tell you to write the PS about. :-\ I guess they just want your PS to be a DS basically?   ??? 

P.S. If there's anyone reading this that applied/are applying to UW, let me know how you approached/are approaching it... :)