• View Profile
« on: July 15, 2006, 05:28:23 PM »
,kjl

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: retaking 170?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:12:47 PM »
Just get a 180 dude... whats with these people always saying "My goal is a 175" or similar.

Get them all right, then they have to give you a 180...

wovst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 07:55:58 PM »

does anyone know where i can find the preptests in pdf format?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:57:13 PM »
it seems risky, but i'm aiming for stanford or serious scholarship from columbia, and it seems like a 170 won't cut it.
i have a 3.9 (humanities) from an ivy.

with the new policy, it should be a no-brainer, but i'm not in a strong financial position.

realistically, i'll get a 174/175. blegh, not worth it if they're averaging-- possibly worth it now.

The only people who, on average, score 4-5 points better on their second attempt are the people scoring in the 120s on their first try (see page 18 http://www.lsac.org/pdfs/2006-2007/informationbk2006.pdf).

For people scoring 170, barely half manage to do better the second time around; the average retake score for a 170 scorer is 170.2.

Unless you believe you're the exception for whatever reason, it's much more realistic that you'll get another 170, not 175.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:53:35 PM »
I think that you are taking a huge risk by retaking the LSAT.

If I was you, I would focus on my letters of recommendation and my personal statement.

They don't just look at your LSAT score and GPA, but they also look at who you are and how you are going to enhance their law school.

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:05:01 PM »
Dude, just let it go. It's not like you got a 120.
Vanderbilt 2010

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »
Lets say for the sake of converstion that you retake and do better and end up with a 172 (realistically a 2 point increase would be better than normal).  You are now sitting on a 172 instead of a 170....... For Stanford this puts you in about the same boat anyway.  Your GPA is still strong, but its going to come down to your letters of recommendation and your personal statement, just like it would have at 170. 

I think you are way better off writing a kick ass PS with the extra time you have and not driving yourself crazy, or better yet go VISIT and make your desire to attend known. 

I just dont think the different between a 170 and a 172 would be that big, and you cant possibilty anticipate a jump any bigger than that (realistically, everybody starting at 170 is very smart and good at the LSAT so it is tough to believe that you are so much above the average that you will see a bigger jump).

It can be done (as you have seen on the board) but it just doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

GreyStreet

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »
I think that you are taking a huge risk by retaking the LSAT.

If I was you, I would focus on my letters of recommendation and my personal statement.

They don't just look at your LSAT score and GPA, but they also look at who you are and how you are going to enhance their law school.

Vera :)

Umm, not really.  Re-take for sure.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:19 AM »
SLS: admissions are arbitrary no matter what the LSAT score. You're always going to be in the same boat there. You have around a median score for that school...and you have the GPA. You have the necessary elements. It's the rest of the story that is going to get you in or keep you out (have you saved any lives lately?). Everyone knows that Stanford is not moved by pure numbers people. I really don't think they would give a *&^% if you retook and got a 174.

CLS: have to score at least 6 or 8 points higher (one of those) in order for them to consider focusing on your higher score. You probably need at least a 176 to get the Hamilton from Columbia. And still, with two LSAT scores, you may not be viewed as a 176 person.

I too think it would be best to spend your time now perfecting your PS. You should probably also apply as early as possible. If you do decide to retake, then make sure you're practicing in the high 170s-180 range come Sept. Otherwise, I think it would be a worthless endeavor.
The University of Chicago
The Law School

wovst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 01:12:09 AM »
thanks for the advice. i'm leaning toward a retake but making the ps priority #1