Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What "school supplies" are really needed for a 1L??  (Read 4851 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What "school supplies" are really needed for a 1L??
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 07:12:41 AM »
To me, a printer is a printer.  But I was glad I had a laser and was able to print all my own resumes and stuff instead of having to go to Kinkos or whatever.

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »
whats so important about laser printers???

i agree with the prevailing sentiment in this thread about PDAs + Outlook. its worked well for me so far.
Iowa Law Class of '09

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »
Lots of law schools allow free unlimited printing to their printers that can be accessed from anywhere, so that's probably what I am going to do. My master's program and one of my jobs required a serious amount of printing that I had to do on my own, and it got really expensive to have to replace the cartridges all the time. Regardless of which type you have, it's going to cost you to replace a cartridge or toner.

rubberbandman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 03:06:19 PM »
Rather than use a bunch of sporadic post-notes, 3M has a program that allows you to put electronic notes up on your desktop.  Mine are color-coded (bills, assignments, etc.) so it is really helpful.  The download was free, but I downloaded it about a year ago - just google "post it notes".

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 11:49:41 PM »
I use Outlook + 4x6 cards that I stand up using little holders I make out of those large paperclips. It's worked well for me over the years. I have to always be able to see the reminders to keep them at the front of my mind. But maybe that's just me.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

lexinash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 12:02:25 AM »
Not sure if anyone has a gmail account (email) but I read a couple of months ago several postings where current students save all of their materials on thier gmail accounts and it has worked well for them.  I'm not sure if that will do the trick or not, but I do have access to gmail.  If anyone needs an account, just lemme know.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 12:22:04 AM »
Not sure if anyone has a gmail account (email) but I read a couple of months ago several postings where current students save all of their materials on thier gmail accounts and it has worked well for them.  I'm not sure if that will do the trick or not, but I do have access to gmail.  If anyone needs an account, just lemme know.

You can invite yourself with a text message now.

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 03:36:24 AM »

Yep. You could do that. If that's the approach you want to take, I might suggest you look into this: http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm. It lets you drag and drop to your GMail account and basically use it like online storage through the Windows Explorer interface. (But, take note of the caution on that site about it being an experimental tool.)
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

lbritton

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 11:19:22 AM »
Don't spend any more money on a printer than you must. Most schools have a printing allotment and anything you print from Lexis or Westlaw is not counted against that allotment. You will spend far more time printing cases and other research than your resume.

Different colored highlighters are definitely required.

stephanie says...

• Sr. Citizen
  • puppy monster <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 12:51:56 PM »
BS different colored highlighters are required. i HATE highlighters. i dont plan to even own one.