Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What "school supplies" are really needed for a 1L??  (Read 4968 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What "school supplies" are really needed for a 1L??
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:28:42 PM »
I second most of what's been said.  Having a back up system for your computer is an absolute necessity.  This is said over and over again; yet no matter how many times a classmate loses half a semester of notes and information, it will inevitably happen again to someone else.  And again.  And again.  People never seem to learn.

That aside, I used a ton of highlighters, pens (get different colors for editing your work), legal pads, etc. 

Aside from the basic stuff, I had a good supply of binder clips, and found myself using them fairly often.  A travel mouse is nice if you hate using a trackpad.  And a decent planner is a necessity, IMO.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »
OH--and backup printer cartridges, black and color if applicable

Thank you for reminding me of this. One question: Did you spring ofr a Laser Printer? I have a really, really good Canon inkjet that I do not want to replace (you really can't tell it isn't laser)

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

lexinash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 08:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the input to all!!!!! 

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 08:34:48 PM »
I second most of what's been said.  Having a back up system for your computer is an absolute necessity.  This is said over and over again; yet no matter how many times a classmate loses half a semester of notes and information, it will inevitably happen again to someone else.  And again.  And again.  People never seem to learn.

That aside, I used a ton of highlighters, pens (get different colors for editing your work), legal pads, etc. 

Aside from the basic stuff, I had a good supply of binder clips, and found myself using them fairly often.  A travel mouse is nice if you hate using a trackpad.  And a decent planner is a necessity, IMO.

About the planner......every tempted to use Microsoft Outlook for this purpose? It worked for Matthias but I wonder how much of a pain in the a$$ it was to have to go back to the laptop everytime you wanted to check your schedule or added something?

Oingo

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »
I used MS Outlook for things like bills or anything that has an extremely important deadline.  I need the constant pop up reminders.

Otherwise, I like having a physical planner to use.  I like having something I can just pull out and write in, as opposed to waiting for my laptop to start to put a meeting date in.

I think as long as you have some sort of organizational system to keep aware of what you need to get done when, you'll be ok.  I know a few people that went out and got the cell phone/computer/planner things, and they seem to like that.  (sidekicks or whatever they are now.  I don't keep up)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 09:06:25 PM »
I used MS Outlook for things like bills or anything that has an extremely important deadline.  I need the constant pop up reminders.

Otherwise, I like having a physical planner to use.  I like having something I can just pull out and write in, as opposed to waiting for my laptop to start to put a meeting date in.

I think as long as you have some sort of organizational system to keep aware of what you need to get done when, you'll be ok.  I know a few people that went out and got the cell phone/computer/planner things, and they seem to like that.  (sidekicks or whatever they are now.  I don't keep up)

Thanks man. Even though I have a tablet and planned to try and use it for this purpose, I am somewhat reluctant though because of the whole ackwardness factor. I've been imagining the scene, where I bring out the tablet to make an appointment and the person I'm meeting with looks at me in horror, shielding themselves from me with their Franklin Planner :)

I might just try a dual system (planner plus outlook) and go from there.

Oingo

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »
The dual system is SO annoying.  I had it going for a while, and it sucked big time.  Outlook either becomes redundant or useless.  The point of outlook is to simplify, not to complicate.

The solution is a PDA or phone that syncs with outlook.  I have the MDA, and it's fantastic.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 09:39:16 PM »
The dual system is SO annoying.  I had it going for a while, and it sucked big time.  Outlook either becomes redundant or useless.  The point of outlook is to simplify, not to complicate.

The solution is a PDA or phone that syncs with outlook.  I have the MDA, and it's fantastic.

Eh....I am so trying to not spend any more money this summer. The stupid thing (on my part) is that I sold my PDA (an iPAQ 3835) earlier this year in an attempt to "simplify." Perhaps I'll buy a cheap used Sony Clie or something or the other.

bah

OIngo

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 10:45:31 PM »
OH--and backup printer cartridges, black and color if applicable

Thank you for reminding me of this. One question: Did you spring ofr a Laser Printer? I have a really, really good Canon inkjet that I do not want to replace (you really can't tell it isn't laser)

Oingo

I didn't spring for a Laser yet either. I'm going to rely on regular printer head cleanings and a little TLC to see if I can get my current printer to hang in long enough. I figure if there is anything I really want to look nice (resumes, cover letters etc...) then I could always take it somewhere to be printed

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 12:02:03 AM »
Regarding backing up, see this thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,67438.0.html

You don't need a laser printer if you have a high quality inkjet. But, you don't want a low quality inkjet. High quality ink jet or a laser.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009