Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

So, are you one?

Yes
 19 (23.8%)
No
 54 (67.5%)
Like A Virgin (Gave it up, but been so long its grown back/shriveled up)
 3 (3.8%)
Like A Virgin II (Foreplay only)
 4 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Virgins Are Too Cool For School  (Read 1710 times)

Saxby Clemens II

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
Virgins Are Too Cool For School
« on: July 14, 2006, 06:00:11 PM »
:D

I think he was, too, along with the faint stab in my general direction.  No harm done.

Oh, yes, well it was very funny.  I guess I just didn't understand that because I am quite sure that I have read Brave talking about "hookups" and stuff.  I guess this is all above-the-belt, Jesus-sanctioned sexual activity?

Hookups sure, but intercourse is a different issue.  I've chosen to draw a line there because of my social convictions as well as my religious beliefs.

OK, now I'm confused.

Did you trade it in, or did the ATM suck it in and refuse to give it back until the bank opens Monday morning?
Quote from: Cady
::clutches doll with matching outfit::
Quote from: TheJ
::flippers Sax on ass just for the hell of it::
Quote from: For All Intensive Purposes
i'm not gonna judge, i just think you are a f-ing weirdo

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Virgins Are Too Cool For School
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:30:52 PM »
Archival, oldtime prohibitions were against all "spillings of seed," so this does seem to be a new-fangled interpretation of the Bible -- not that I don't think it should be subject to modern re-interpretations and such, of course!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 06:34:05 PM »
I didn't say it was Biblical at all.  At one time it was due to my beliefs, but it's moved beyond that to a personal decision involving more than just my religious beliefs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attribute your particular form of virginity to your religion.  But I think this is pretty common.  I mean, I grew up with a lot of Mormon kids, for instance, who did everything but vaginal intercourse precisely because they didn't consider non-procreative sex before marriage to be sinful. 

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:37:22 PM »
I didn't say it was Biblical at all.  At one time it was due to my beliefs, but it's moved beyond that to a personal decision involving more than just my religious beliefs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attribute your particular form of virginity to your religion.  But I think this is pretty common.  I mean, I grew up with a lot of Mormon kids, for instance, who did everything but vaginal intercourse precisely because they didn't consider non-procreative sex before marriage to be sinful. 

Which, you know, I really can't get my head around.  It's a lot easier for me to respect the argument that it's just a personal thing.

I am with you.  And it's far easier still for me to get my head around not wanting to worry about getting or getting a girl pregnant!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 06:44:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm not going to twist the Bible around to say I can do oral/anal, but as long as i'm a virgin when it comes to the vagina, then it's cool.

Many reasons such as pregnancy, STDs, not wanting to be a slut, etc. are in there with my religious beliefs in making my decision.  I also want it to be something special between my wife and I... so even romantic reasons

I like how "oral" and "the vagina" are in two completely separate categories!  :D
(Brave, I'm just teasing you.)

Also, Sax, I would totally take this conversation to the V thread, but wouldn't this post be a little weird there?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 06:45:12 PM »
Oh, damn...I guess I shouldn't be saying I lost my virginity at 17 anymore.   :D

Oh, Chica, I have a feeling you and I are in trouble here.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 09:01:50 PM »
You guys and this virginity stuff, Ill never understand.

Me neither, and I have a bunch of REALLY nice toys.

Hey Britt, can you explain the born again thing?  I have heard this a bunch, but I don't totally understand it.  I'm not trying to be critical AT ALL.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »
Hey Britt, can you explain the born again thing?  I have heard this a bunch, but I don't totally understand it.  I'm not trying to be critical AT ALL.

Oh ha-ha.  I'm not sure about *real* born again virgins.  I think they have decided to wait until marrage until doing it again.

I just don't expect to be in a situation where I'll want to do that again for at least the next few years.

I can't tell if you believed that my question was sincere, but it was!

I understand the desire to take a break, I guess.  I don't think I'd ever refer to sex as "doing that" though!  It sounds so disparaging!  :D

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
Yeah, I changed it right after I posted it.  Doing that did sound bad.

Ooops, sorry I missed that.  I was uncharacteristically speedy. :)

jorge

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 12:17:25 AM »
Archival, oldtime prohibitions were against all "spillings of seed," so this does seem to be a new-fangled interpretation of the Bible -- not that I don't think it should be subject to modern re-interpretations and such, of course!
Since the Bible isn't really a sex ed manual, it doesn't get into the nitty gritty of sexuality so much outside of the Mosaic law. I assume you are refering to the story of Onan, whose offense was not the actual act of spilling his seed, but rather had to do with lineage, birthright property, and instruction from God.
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/monanism.html
Many conservative, evangelical Christians today, notably James Dobson, view masturbation as healthy/non-sinful/whatever. There really isn't a prohibition on it in the bible, other than Jesus saying not to look at a woman (or a man, one assumes) with lust in your heart (which, of course, often goes hand in hand with masturbation).

It's clear that Paul didn't expect Christians to follow the Mosaic law--most notably not requiring them to be circumcised.  Jesus, also, seemed to take a pragmatic approach to sabbath rules. There's a pretty decent essay on the distinction between old testament and new testament law here: http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/article_law_hays.html

Without a clear line, there seems to be a pretty wide variety of views on acceptable pre-marital behavior. Some Christians go so far as avoiding romantic kissing. Others take a more pragmatic approach and, assuming that laws and instructions are given for our benefit, draw the line at activities that might spread STDs or create an unwanted pregnancy. Still others view biblical rules on sexuality as archaic and irrelevant altogether.

Edit: My post was a bit protestant-centric. Official Catholic doctrine views any sex that definitely won't lead to pregnancy, or wouldn't under other circumstances, to be sinful (masturbation, birth control, etc.)