Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Iraq is now a lost cause.  Do you agree?

Yes
 16 (64%)
No
 8 (32%)
Unsure
 1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Iraq War  (Read 45992 times)

rising2l

• View Profile
Re: Isreal and Lebannon
« Reply #240 on: July 17, 2006, 06:42:36 PM »
You need to read the other posts of this thread.  There was a movement to disarm Hezbollah through national reconciliation.  Obviously they couldn't just say okay disarm now because Hebzollah's military capabilities surpass that of the Lebanese Army. 

Having a movement to do X and actually doing X are two different things. There can be a movement trying to persuade me to brush my teeth in the morning and there can be my actual brushing teeth in the morning.

And your breath stinks, so I'm going to hazard a guess that that movement didn't succeed.  I guess you summoned your strength from other sources.  I'd try to blame you and them and not the failed movement.

That's true. I am lazy and resort to using Listerine. :)

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 17, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
This issue and how it implicates the sentiments of the Arab world at large--not the riotous complaining of a few who can't stand inevitable human collateral damage in Lebanon--is very telling of the importance of this.

Read this article.  These are Arabs responding to Arabs.  The "silent Arab majority" says drop dead Hizbullah and Hamas.  For the first time probably EVER the Arab world stands behind Israel.

http://www.nysun.com/article/36110

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2006, 10:04:51 PM »
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2006, 10:57:55 PM »
anyone else get annoyed how they hate us all the time, except when they need us?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/17/us.diplomacy/index.html

grrrrrrrrr
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2006, 11:13:01 PM »
ridiculous. when was the last time the new york sun published something that made sense?

it's very true that arabs don't want to be ruled by religious fanatics, and that many are upset at hizbullah - very justifiably - for providing israel with a pretext for its next terrorist attack on the arab world. but arabs are generally appreciative of hizbullah and hamas for their resistance to the terrorism of israel and other foreign nations (don't read iran, as ibrahim suggests, but the US and turkey). and arabs generally despise the presidents, emirs and kings that ibrahim cites as representative.

check out the angry arab as a good source. i'm not saying he's representative, but way more arabs would agree with his writings than with youssef ibrahim's.

http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

This issue and how it implicates the sentiments of the Arab world at large--not the riotous complaining of a few who can't stand inevitable human collateral damage in Lebanon--is very telling of the importance of this.

Read this article.  These are Arabs responding to Arabs.  The "silent Arab majority" says drop dead Hizbullah and Hamas.  For the first time probably EVER the Arab world stands behind Israel.

case '09

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2006, 11:21:01 PM »
need us? don't flatter yourself.

the US is israel's terrorist backer, just like iran is hizbullah's terrorist backer. the arab world's need for the US is to stop enabling israeli terror. they phrase it in nice diplomatic terms as a request because they have no power to compel or persuade the US, so they resort to pleading.

anyone else get annoyed how they hate us all the time, except when they need us?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/17/us.diplomacy/index.html

grrrrrrrrr
case '09

jballer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2006, 11:26:41 PM »

You make it seem like if you are against Hezbollah you have to be completely in favor of what Israel is doing.  Yes most Arab states (and the rest of the world) that are mad at what Hezbollah has done.  But ALL Arab states and a majority of the international community feels that what Israel has done in response is just as bad.  200 people dead now...a majority women and children...half of the country is in complete shambles. 

It's okay to support what Israel aims to do.  But what they are actually doing is flat out disgusting.  It's gone too far. 

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2006, 11:31:45 PM »
ridiculous. when was the last time the new york sun published something that made sense?

it's very true that arabs don't want to be ruled by religious fanatics, and that many are upset at hizbullah - very justifiably - for providing israel with a pretext for its next terrorist attack on the arab world. but arabs are generally appreciative of hizbullah and hamas for their resistance to the terrorism of israel and other foreign nations (don't read iran, as ibrahim suggests, but the US and turkey). and arabs generally despise the presidents, emirs and kings that ibrahim cites as representative.

check out the angry arab as a good source. i'm not saying he's representative, but way more arabs would agree with his writings than with youssef ibrahim's.

I'll take it on your authority since you obviously you have your finger on the pulse of Arab sentiment far more than little Youseff.  The Arab League condemns Hizbullah.  You don't but, you've revealed yourself as a Jew hater so its not really a surprise.  Keep praying that eventually the Zionist nazis will be defeated.

jballer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2006, 11:36:08 PM »
AJ were you talking to me?

Trollik..I hold Hezbollah (Syria and Iran) MORE accountable to what has happened to Lebanon than I do Israel.

But Israel is bombing Lebanon that has endured so much oppression in the past thirty years and was finally getting better.  I just feel that what Israel is doing is wrong...both morally and strategically. There was a way to disarm Hezbollah without bombing the crap out of Lebanon.  Targted bombings I suppported...but what is happening now is something I don't support.  I feel that Israel is not going to achieve its objectives from what it is doing.  Therefore, I feel the civilian bombing is unnecessary.  I know you don't agree with me...you think it is okay for Israel to bomb the crap out of Lebanon and destroy a state when you admit yourself that there are others more responsible...but don't you at least understand the point of view that I am coming from?

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2006, 11:38:18 PM »

You make it seem like if you are against Hezbollah you have to be completely in favor of what Israel is doing.  Yes most Arab states (and the rest of the world) that are mad at what Hezbollah has done.  But ALL Arab states and a majority of the international community feels that what Israel has done in response is just as bad.  200 people dead now...a majority women and children...half of the country is in complete shambles. 

It's okay to support what Israel aims to do.  But what they are actually doing is flat out disgusting.  It's gone too far. 

Well I disagree.  Apparently the Arab world at large may disagree with you as well.  Perhaps this so-called silent majority will not be silent forever.  Perhaps the G8 i.e. the so-called international community you refer to hasn't condemned Israel because they know damn well Israel is doing their work for them.

Unfortunately the Lebanese have to stomach this war.  Clearly the middle east cannot sustain rogue terrorist nations upsetting the balance of peace by randomly kidnapping soldiers and empty rocket stores on Israeli innocents.  You focus entirely on one side of the equation.  Again and again you cite Lebanese dead but make no mention of the attacks Israel is enduring; the attacks Israel is justifiably responding to.