Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official Mac Loyalty Thread  (Read 6050 times)

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Official Mac Loyalty Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2006, 01:05:18 PM »
Not everyone owns Photoshop.  Just sayin'

There's no such thing as a "native Safari spell checker."  The spell checker is OS X-wide, and can be accessed by right clicking on any word.

I have it, but it's a reeeally old version... let's put it this way, I have to open up OS9 to use it.  Speaking of, I had question about that... is there any possibility of being able to use the program on my new Macbook without opening an old OS?  Is that what Rosetta does?

Intel Macs cannot run OS 9. :(

Rosetta translates Power PC programs into Intel code.  (Under OS X)
USD 2L

gch

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »
For a limited time, Zengobi will be giving out a cool project management application called Curio for FREE (regular price is $39).  It's a Universal application so it supports the Intel Macs.  If you're interested, you can read all about it and sign up for a free license at the link provided below.

http://www.zengobi.com/products/curio/

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2006, 02:27:30 PM »
Does anyone here know how I can transfer my files (like music and photos) from my old iBook to my new MacBook? 

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2006, 02:52:08 PM »
Did you already go through the setup assistant?  The user guide says that there's a "Migration Assistant" to help do that if you already blew through the setup.

Mine just came this morning.  I'm trying to get to know it a little.

oh, awesome.  my macbook came but it's at my parents' house so i wont see it until this weekend.  i had no idea there would be a program built in. sounds great!  do i need any special cables or something? or is everything i need in the box?

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »
It says to make sure:
your other mac has built-in firewire and supports firewire target disk mode
your other mac has osX v10.1 or later
you have a standard 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable

That makes only a limited amount of sense to me; I assume its a Mac thing.   :D

it only makes limited sense to me, too  ;)  the only thing i'm not sure about is that 6pin firewire cable. i wonder if i have to buy that separately?

Josef.K

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2006, 04:40:26 PM »
I just got mine and I'm on it right now...it's gorgeous but will definitely take some getting used to! :)

tangerine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2006, 09:18:45 AM »
Hey! What kind of virus protection do I need to get for my mac? I went to the apple store and they told me I didn't need anything, but, I feel like the school would require some sort of virus protection software for me to be able to log on to their wireless network. Anyone know? (I've never had a mac before, always PCs, so I have no idea). Thanks!

firant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2006, 09:43:32 AM »
Hey! What kind of virus protection do I need to get for my mac? I went to the apple store and they told me I didn't need anything, but, I feel like the school would require some sort of virus protection software for me to be able to log on to their wireless network. Anyone know? (I've never had a mac before, always PCs, so I have no idea). Thanks!

Welcome to a world without viruses. :)
GPA: 2.8.. LSAT: 173
Enrolled: University of Notre Dame

(GPA at graduation was 3.3)

Josef.K

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2006, 10:28:56 PM »
hey did you buy a printer with yours?

I bought a printer and my macbook is just simply not recognizing it. I have tried two different USB cables, but still no luck; it's jut not connecting.

Any ideas?

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2006, 10:58:45 PM »
archival, I'm sure others have more suggestions but for a great deal of keyboard shortcuts coming from PC to mac, all you do is replace ctrl with the apple key and it works the same way more of the time, not all.  I personally haven't done too much wth iTunes but if no one else gets back to you, I'll check with my partner.