Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official Mac Loyalty Thread  (Read 5965 times)

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Mac Loyalty Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2006, 10:22:11 AM »
wow, great to hear...thanks so much!

I'm really leaning towards the MacBook, but I'm weighing all options.

I'm trying not to let my girly "they're SO PRETTY" thought process cloud my logic here, but seriously...they're SO PRETTY!!! ;D

like many others, i've switched after being a lifelong PC user, and i dont see myself switching back. go macbook, you wont be sorry!
Iowa Law Class of '09

himay

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2006, 10:46:14 AM »
I went with the Macbook Pro, for several reasons.  One, it's quicker with anything related to video - looking at pictures, watching movies, etc. 

Two, I LOVE the feeling of the keyboard.  To me, that is worth several hundred dollars.  I'll be spending the next 4 years typing all...the...time...  The Macbook keyboard is definitely better than the old iBook, but it's not as nice as the MBP.

Three, backlit keyboard is just cool.

Four, the bigger screen size with a minimal weight difference is really huge to me.  The 14" widescreen MB is nice, but since it is a widescreen, it is fairly short.  With the 15" MBP, it's a taller screen and much nicer because of its size.

Five, cool factor.  It looks cooler, and that's worth a little bit of money :)

I love love LOVE my MacBook Pro, and I was a hardcore PC user before this.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2006, 10:51:41 AM »
Hey! I just started a new thread about this, so if any of you have read it, please disregard this message and excuse the repetition. If not... MacBook vs. MacBook Pro... any opinions?

Since I already have a nice G4 desktop, my main concern was portability, not funtionality for videos and photo editing--so the Macbook was the right call for me.  And surprisingly, the price is pretty damn competitive with the PC market!
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Josef.K

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2006, 01:51:24 PM »
yeah the main thing throwing me off is these laptops that I keep seeing on sale for like $600-$900, and I keep thinking to myself, "do I really need the MacBook if I can have a laptop with very similar specs for about $500-$800 cheaper?"

any thoughts?  ???

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2006, 01:58:45 PM »
yeah the main thing throwing me off is these laptops that I keep seeing on sale for like $600-$900, and I keep thinking to myself, "do I really need the MacBook if I can have a laptop with very similar specs for about $500-$800 cheaper?"

any thoughts?  ???

what laptops have you seen for $500-$800 cheaper than a MacBook with truly comparable specs? That would mean getting a computer for about $300-$600, maybe $800 if you we're talking about a MacBook with added options.  I can't imagine getting a quality PC for those prices.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »

any thoughts?  ???

Two words: duo core.   ;D

Josef.K

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »

any thoughts?  ???

what laptops have you seen for $500-$800 cheaper than a MacBook with truly comparable specs? That would mean getting a computer for about $300-$600, maybe $800 if you we're talking about a MacBook with added options.  I can't imagine getting a quality PC for those prices.

I've seen many, actually. There were a bunch in Sunday's paper for back to school sales.

The MacBook that I want will end up costing me about $1500 when all is said and done (after all the upgrades that I need), so I'm trying to shop around a bit. I've seen laptops for $600-$900, but I'm not sure if they would last me through 3 years of law school...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

any thoughts?  ???

I've seen many, actually. There were a bunch in Sunday's paper for back to school sales.

The MacBook that I want will end up costing me about $1500 when all is said and done (after all the upgrades that I need), so I'm trying to shop around a bit. I've seen laptops for $600-$900, but I'm not sure if they would last me through 3 years of law school...

Most of the computers in those prices ranges have inferior processors, although you can't always tell that from different manufacturers' websites.  For instance, Dell is offering a sale for an Inspiron 1505 that "starts at" $639, and it they sort of imply that you're going to get a Core Duo... but when you click on it, of course it's only built with a Core Solo... for the Duo, you're up to $849 (on sale from $1,049).  What else don't you get?  Windows Pro will bump you up by $150, and the specs will need to be upgraded to reach the Mac...  make sure you finish adding what you what to those so that you're comparing apples to apples (pun intended  ;)).

Plus, don't forget to add in the value of the free iPod (which you could sell, if you want the money) and the $100 off a printer.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2006, 02:19:37 PM »
This is one of the classic myths that keep people going back to PCs.  I think it's safe to say that a base model Macbook (ie the $1100 model) is already far more computer than what you see on sale for $600-$900.  They're probably not comparably equipped.  

People have done some interesting technical breakdowns and shown that penny-for-penny, Macs and PCs are usually around the same price point.  Apple just doesn't offer a stripped-down model like a lot of the PC manufacturers.  
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Josef.K

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2006, 02:21:14 PM »

any thoughts?  ???

Most of the computers in those prices ranges have inferior processors, although you can't always tell that from different manufacturers' websites.  For instance, Dell is offering a sale for an Inspiron 1505 that "starts at" $639, and it they sort of imply that you're going to get a Core Duo... but when you click on it, of course it's only built with a Core Solo... for the Duo, you're up to $849 (on sale from $1,049).  What else don't you get?  Windows Pro will bump you up by $150, and the specs will need to be upgraded to reach the Mac...  make sure you finish adding what you what so that you're comparing apples to apples (pun intended  ;)).to those

Plus, don't forget to add in the value of the free iPod (which you could sell, if you want the money) and the $100 off a printer.

:D