Law School Discussion

The Official Mac Loyalty Thread

Re: The Official Mac Loyalty Thread
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2006, 08:22:52 AM »
excellent thread. i was hoping to consult you all on a few questions; please don't mind the length, and thanks in advance for any help. also, windows=pc in the following text.

I'm an old-soul Mac user (last owned a Performa 6200 using System 7.5) thinking about going born-again with a MacBook. The key for me, though, is to be able to use the cadre of PC programs I have (which include some CAD and graphic programs), instead of replacing all of them with Mac versions (which I will hopefully afford to do after 2L summer, cross my fingers).

So BootCamp would be key for me. While I hope to gradually come to re-learn all of the graces of the Mac OS, I envision basically using a MacBook like a glorified PC at least in the beginning. Problem 1 arose when I went to the Apple Store. They advised me that since bootcamp is in beta, it isn't supported by Apple now, and they tried to steer me to Parallels, which was sold out at the time, but also simply seems to be an emulator. I don't want to just have a software emulator. Any thoughts?

Problem 2 has to do with how comprehensive bootcamp/parallels might be. Can I use peripherals and the internal dvd burner in both environments? Or would I need to find PC-version drivers for, say, the burner, and both types of drivers for every peripheral i bought in order to use it in both environments? also, can i partition an external hd down the middle and format 1/2 for pc, 1/2 for mac?

Problem 3 has to do with the use of keys over the mouse. As a result of one summer banking internship using a lot of excel, i discovered the joy of doing a lot of basic navigation and operations in Windows using a keyboard instead of a mouse, which I often find to be much faster and convenient than wheeling my mouse or finger around. For example, I think Mac borrowed from Windows the alt-TAB method of switching among programs. Also, if I want to minimize the window I am in, I just do alt-space-n. And if I have 10 docs open, each of which I want to print, save as, and then close, then just training my fingers to alt-F-P, then alt-F-A, then ctrl-W lets me get through those operations much more quickly (any batch or macro solutions notwithstanding). When bootcamp/parallels is running PC, does the Mac keyboard imitate the keys on a PC keyboard such that it can suit my keyboard-centered use? And, while I know that the Mac OS carries a lot of shortcuts (I still remember apple-I for Info and apple-W for close), does the OS have an additional level of functionality for its keyboard that matches that of what I find in windows?

I can't answer all your questions, but as to partitioning your HD--you can do it however you like, down to a minimum (10Gs?).  So if you want it 50-50, that you can do.  For the other stuff regarding peripherals and such, check out the Mac forums... I'm sure the techies over there will know.  There are a million threads about Bootcamp.

For problem 3, I'd recommend a book called "The Mac is Not a Typewriter."  Has all the quick keys and stuff.

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
excellent thread. i was hoping to consult you all on a few questions; please don't mind the length, and thanks in advance for any help. also, windows=pc in the following text.

I'm an old-soul Mac user (last owned a Performa 6200 using System 7.5) thinking about going born-again with a MacBook. The key for me, though, is to be able to use the cadre of PC programs I have (which include some CAD and graphic programs), instead of replacing all of them with Mac versions (which I will hopefully afford to do after 2L summer, cross my fingers).

So BootCamp would be key for me. While I hope to gradually come to re-learn all of the graces of the Mac OS, I envision basically using a MacBook like a glorified PC at least in the beginning. Problem 1 arose when I went to the Apple Store. They advised me that since bootcamp is in beta, it isn't supported by Apple now, and they tried to steer me to Parallels, which was sold out at the time, but also simply seems to be an emulator. I don't want to just have a software emulator. Any thoughts?

Problem 2 has to do with how comprehensive bootcamp/parallels might be. Can I use peripherals and the internal dvd burner in both environments? Or would I need to find PC-version drivers for, say, the burner, and both types of drivers for every peripheral i bought in order to use it in both environments? also, can i partition an external hd down the middle and format 1/2 for pc, 1/2 for mac?

Problem 3 has to do with the use of keys over the mouse. As a result of one summer banking internship using a lot of excel, i discovered the joy of doing a lot of basic navigation and operations in Windows using a keyboard instead of a mouse, which I often find to be much faster and convenient than wheeling my mouse or finger around. For example, I think Mac borrowed from Windows the alt-TAB method of switching among programs. Also, if I want to minimize the window I am in, I just do alt-space-n. And if I have 10 docs open, each of which I want to print, save as, and then close, then just training my fingers to alt-F-P, then alt-F-A, then ctrl-W lets me get through those operations much more quickly (any batch or macro solutions notwithstanding). When bootcamp/parallels is running PC, does the Mac keyboard imitate the keys on a PC keyboard such that it can suit my keyboard-centered use? And, while I know that the Mac OS carries a lot of shortcuts (I still remember apple-I for Info and apple-W for close), does the OS have an additional level of functionality for its keyboard that matches that of what I find in windows?

I can't answer all your questions, but as to partitioning your HD--you can do it however you like, down to a minimum (10Gs?).  So if you want it 50-50, that you can do.  For the other stuff regarding peripherals and such, check out the Mac forums... I'm sure the techies over there will know.  There are a million threads about Bootcamp.

For problem 3, I'd recommend a book called "The Mac is Not a Typewriter."  Has all the quick keys and stuff.

You mean Mac forums within LSD or elsewhere? Thanks.

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2006, 10:08:29 AM »
I looked stuff up here: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1165

and here: http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=3969032

You can Google and find lots more, but pretty much every topic is covered in the above forums.  LSD is great, of course, but at those places you get lots of computer programmers and such... so it's a better resource overall.

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
Went to the Apple homepage today and saw this:  http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

I want, I want!  Anybody got one?

firant

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2006, 01:23:42 PM »
Went to the Apple homepage today and saw this:  http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

You couldn't pay me enough.

I am a recent mac convert.. I bought in for a Tough laptop that would still come with all the bells and whistles I wanted. The one and only thing I miss from my PC is a 2 button mouse. When this first came out I was THRILLED! Then I tried one.

Is it sooo hard to split the mouse so you don't have to rock the whole thing. It's hinged oddly which is frustrating, and I tended to press it accidentally while moving the mouse forward.

Logitech mice are cheap, and they work with macs (well, the USB ones do).

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2006, 01:26:35 PM »

You couldn't pay me enough.

I am a recent mac convert.. I bought in for a Tough laptop that would still come with all the bells and whistles I wanted. The one and only thing I miss from my PC is a 2 button mouse. When this first came out I was THRILLED! Then I tried one.

Is it sooo hard to split the mouse so you don't have to rock the whole thing. It's hinged oddly which is frustrating, and I tended to press it accidentally while moving the mouse forward.

Logitech mice are cheap, and they work with macs (well, the USB ones do).

Guess I should go to the Apple store and give it a try before buying... I don't care about having two-button functionality, but I certainly don't want to have the accidentally pressing stuff problem...

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2006, 01:37:43 PM »

I go back to the Mac IIcx and System 6.2.  I think the "more things change, the more things stay the same" axiom is appropriate here.  While the robustness of the operating system has improved 100 fold, its basic operation is still consistent with 7.5.  

Let me explain what Boot Camp is, and it may make things a little clearer.  Intel Apples could not boot Windows at first because the computer's internal firmware (essentially the most basic computer instructions) only loaded EFI, not the older BIOS.  Windows requires a computer with BIOS.  When Boot Camp was released, one of the huge key was the accompanying firmware updater which loaded BIOS and EFI onto the computer's firmware.  

The second big thing Boot Camp did was provide drivers for all of the Mac hardware.  (Video card, USB, keyboard, etc)  This begs the question, if the important parts were a driver disk and BIOS update, what is Boot Camp?  It is simply a Windows installer that can start the Windows installation process in the Mac OS (and it's also a hard drive partitioner).  Very very basic program.  Currently, there are no windows drivers for the iSight camera, automatic screen dimming, and the backlit keyboard.  

You can with both.  While Parallels is technically an emulator, it's not one in the traditional sense.  It runs at near Windows full speed, but it does not support the graphics card natively.  For your applications in CAD and graphics, you will want to use Boot Camp exclusively.  

When you're running Windows XP, your Mac is, for software purposes, indistinguishable from a Dell or HP.  Everything you can do on those computers can be done on the Mac running Windows.

OS X has a ton (possibly more) keyboard short cuts than XP.  It's also user programmable if you want more!  OS X even offers "Automator" in which you can create "work flows" to automatically accomplish ardeous time consuming tasks (e.g. changing 100 photographs from .bmp to .jpg and decreasing the size).

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2006, 01:42:48 PM »
>>OS X even offers "Automator" in which you can create "work flows" to automatically accomplish ardeous time consuming tasks (e.g. changing 100 photographs from .bmp to .jpg and decreasing the size).<<

Whoa... that sounds AWESOME.  Man, I'm thinking back to how long it took to convert my 11x14 portfolio files into web-friendly images...

I want my Macbook to come!  I shoulda just bought it at the Apple store... total mistake. 

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2006, 02:13:30 PM »
>>OS X even offers "Automator" in which you can create "work flows" to automatically accomplish ardeous time consuming tasks (e.g. changing 100 photographs from .bmp to .jpg and decreasing the size).<<

Whoa... that sounds AWESOME.  Man, I'm thinking back to how long it took to convert my 11x14 portfolio files into web-friendly images...

I want my Macbook to come!  I shoulda just bought it at the Apple store... total mistake. 

how long have you been waiting for it to come? I just ordered mine last night and the guy said it should arrive sometime next week...

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2006, 02:26:59 PM »
Thank god for this thread because it has lots of great information... but y'all are making me jealous!  I wanna buy my Macbook now!!!  I have an ibook that I love dearly but we need another computer anyway and I need something with Windows for exams so we're planning on getting a Macbook.  However we cannot afford one until after we move and get student loans (no room on the credit card right now... at least not in addition to the home stuff we need).  I'm so jealous  :'(