Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In off Cornell WL  (Read 5939 times)

2Legit

• View Profile
In off Cornell WL
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:23:44 PM »
So I got in off the WL and have to respond ASAP, looking for advice. 

-No word on financial aid, but I'm assuming it won't be much (assume 150k debt).
-I was set on Fordham part-time (financial + family reasons).
-If I attend Fordham, I would continue working at my current firm (small, modest pay, but very relevant to my legal interests and would permit me to graduate with minimal (maybe 50k?) debt). 
-I'm 100% sure I want to practice in NY, and both schools are great for placement in the city, but Fordham would allow me to network with more people in my area of interest.

I already passed on Michigan, would I be crazy to even consider Cornell?
In: Cardozo, Fordham, U Mich, Cornell
Out: Columbia, Penn, NYU
Waitlist: Northwestern

M DOT

Re: In off Cornell WL
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
2 legit did you just find out today?? if so how and congrats!!

honestly if you passed on michigan to be near family & for money reasons then i would say stick with it unless the debt won't be too much on you. cornell is about 3 hours away from the city so you'd be able to maske it home more often than not.

best wishes with your decision

So I got in off the WL and have to respond ASAP, looking for advice. 

-No word on financial aid, but I'm assuming it won't be much (assume 150k debt).
-I was set on Fordham part-time (financial + family reasons).
-If I attend Fordham, I would continue working at my current firm (small, modest pay, but very relevant to my legal interests and would permit me to graduate with minimal (maybe 50k?) debt). 
-I'm 100% sure I want to practice in NY, and both schools are great for placement in the city, but Fordham would allow me to network with more people in my area of interest.

I already passed on Michigan, would I be crazy to even consider Cornell?

goosecap2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 01:09:03 PM »
Well, if you passed on Michigan for compelling personal reasons (family and financial), then I think that it really wouldn't make much sense going to Cornell. Michigan is clearly a notch above Cornell academically. And Cornell is actually closer to 5 hours from NYC; a do-able semi-regular commute to the city, but not so convenient. Unless you've been to campus and know that you would be happy there for 3 years, I think I would stick with your original choice. Upstate is a far cry from NYC, and also from Ann Arbor. But if you are seriously considering it, you need to *go there* for a visit, check it out, and talk to some students. It would be insane to sign on to Cornell without knowing what you're getting yourself into....

Good luck!

MrRooney

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »
i'd go to fordham.  realistically, it'll take 4.5-5hrs to get to the city from cornell, once you deal with traffic and all that (i've done the drive a few times).  although you could drive back to the city to see family, i seriously doubt that you'll have the time to make that trip more than once or maybe twice during the semester.  since you know you want to stay in nyc and your debt from fordham will be so low, i'd definitely stick with fordham.  good luck!

2Legit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »
found out today by phone, I spent a year at Cornell, so I'm familiar with the area and the school.  Thanks for everyone's input!
In: Cardozo, Fordham, U Mich, Cornell
Out: Columbia, Penn, NYU
Waitlist: Northwestern

M DOT

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 04:38:27 PM »
ditto, i'd love to know if i need to break out the prayer beads this week  :D
2Legit, have you decided yet?  just curious since i'm on the Cornell wait list.

decisions

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »
I just got an email offering admission to Cornell (off the summer waitlist).  I have to decide by Thursday and I'm not sure.  I'll provide the relevant info and ask those who care for their opinion.

If I don't go to Cornell, I would go to George Washington.  I'm fired up about GW.  My fiance is fired up about living in the D.C. area.  We got engaged during GW preview weekend, so the place just feels right.  Cornell, not so much, and I'm from upstate NY.  Moneywise, it's basically a wash.  Both very expensive.

After law school I would like to live in D.C. and work in a firm for a few years, then pursue a career in government (State, CIA, etc.).  Here's the kicker:  the program I would be attending at Cornell would be the J.D./L.L.M. in International and Comparative Law.  One would think that my options upon graduation from Cornell with that degree would be significantly more attractive that a J.D. from GW. 

At the end of the day, it's my decision, but for now I'm curious about what people think.  Any insights are much appreciated.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
Take GW if you want DC.

MrRooney

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 04:35:51 PM »
Wow, seems like fate is telling you to go to GW!  If you want to work in DC and your fiance is really looking forward to living in DC, then I'd go to GW.  From what you said, it seems like you'd be happier in DC than Ithaca (I would be too!).  There's not much going on in Ithaca, so I'm not sure how your fiance would feel about living there.

The LLM might help a little with jobs right out of school, but I don't think it's going to really do a ton for you.  Good luck with your decision. 

goosecap2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 04:36:44 PM »
Congrats on your acceptances!

It sounds to me like GW is the better choice for you -- especially given that your fiance wants to settle there and you want to work in govt afterwards.

If you look at the Leiter Law Rankings, Cornell and GW are ranked 9 and 10 for international and comparative law. Cornell does not have a distinct advantage here -- no matter what their viewbook says. They crow a lot about the international law program, but they really are not that distinguished anymore. Certainly not the decisive advantage you imagine.

As well, nationally, their private sector placement is about the same. Placement with national firms -- available at http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2005/03/new_study_of_na.html -- Cornell is 13 and GW 15. However, **GW strongly beats Cornell at firm placement in DC,** and they surely do as well in placement at govt agencies. (See http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/students/sullivan/law/data.htm for DC Biglaw numbers).

Besides, who wants to live in Ithaca for three years?