Law School Discussion

In off Cornell WL

Re: In off Cornell WL
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
PS The DC Biglaw placement is GW 65 and Cornell 26 -- and that's pretty reflective of the general trend here for placement with govt agencies. GW has a lot more pull for what you're trying to do.

Good luck with your decision! And congrats with your acceptances....

M DOT

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 03:21:58 PM »
congrats decision, i'd say stick with GW if you want to eventually end up in DC and go the gov't route....def keep us updated and good luck

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 03:25:02 PM »
PS The DC Biglaw placement is GW 65 and Cornell 26 -- and that's pretty reflective of the general trend here for placement with govt agencies. GW has a lot more pull for what you're trying to do.

No, Cornell does, GW is just closer.

GO TO CORNELL!  I know people that regret their decision of Fordham over Cornell that are at top firms, because it still haunts them every time they send their resume.

M DOT

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »
but the ppl you speak of r prolly in nyc where cornell would be the obvious choice if that's where they wanted to be post grad, for DC it's a whole nother story, but hats just my take

GO TO CORNELL!  I know people that regret their decision of Fordham over Cornell that are at top firms, because it still haunts them every time they send their resume.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 03:40:45 PM »
but the ppl you speak of r prolly in nyc where cornell would be the obvious choice if that's where they wanted to be post grad, for DC it's a whole nother story, but hats just my take

Disagreement is fine.

I am confident that Cornell is better than GW for DC.

M DOT

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
in the end it really comes down to what decision does with his time in school as to whether or not Cornell is better for post grad opps in DC.

i'm not going to argue with you dun, b/c there is no argument (just playing  :-*) GW wins hands down for a garunteed future in DC. it's second to G-Town in the area and when you bring top schools like HYS, regionals like UVA, W&L, W&M and even the lesser ranked schools; American, Catholic & Howard Cornell grads have to put in a lot of work to make it happen. That is unless they have exceptional contacts, above avg grades & activities (law review) and planned their summers accordingly (working in dc.) Not saying that decision won't have al of the above but who wants to gamble like that?? This is serious business. Plus GW has an amazing alum network, especially in DC for obvious reasons........

don't get me wrong if cornell admitted me tomorrow i'd jump on it, but my motives are different than decisions, i'm not already in at a school that has everything i'm looking for. the only thing that Cornell trumps GW on is class size (low student to faculty ratio) and location if you're not a city kid.

Do you honestly think someone who wanted to be in Boston for the long run would go to G-town over BC?? let's be real

then there's decision's fiance who we're all forgetting about, she'll prolly be the deal breaker for decision's choice, so we all need to realize that nothing we say actually matters this go round, i mean does it really ever?

Disagreement is fine.

I am confident that Cornell is better than GW for DC.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 04:45:14 PM »
Confident based on what? Your logic was about people regretting Fordham over Cornell. Well, guess what? GW is a definitely better than Fordham.

First, Fordham doesn't even make the grade in terms of most national law firm placement studies and surveys like Vault, Leiter's rankings, etc. -- it's simply not competitive on a national basis with GW and Cornell.

For specializing in international law -- the poster's stated interest -- GW and Cornell have commensurate faculty quality. For placement in DC, GW adminsters a beat-down to Cornell: Vault placement data also reports 39 GW in Biglaw, versus 4 for Cornell.

Cornell places 2.5% of each exiting class in government -- about 4 or 5 students total. GW places 18% of each graduating class in government -- or about 72 people. Over time, that's a lot more GW grads circulating in government, and it certainly helps one's career prospects.

For a few things, Cornell probably would be better -- like empirical legal studies, or Biglaw placement in Boston. That's 'bout it.

Good luck to the poster, tho'!

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 06:34:08 PM »
i'll throw my opinion into this, and while i really like cornell, this is what i see:
while there is disagreement here about reputation in DC and one could make strong case for either school, a few things are certain...in DC you can intern at government agencies during the school year, at Cornell you can't.  it also sounds like you're certain that DC is a better city to live in than Ithaca.  and finally, you'll be with your fiance in a city that you both like.  everyone's situation is unique, and it honestly sounds like you'll be happier over the next three years in  DC.  either way good luck in whatever you choose!

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 09:46:08 PM »
Confident based on what? Your logic was about people regretting Fordham over Cornell. Well, guess what? GW is a definitely better than Fordham.

First, Fordham doesn't even make the grade in terms of most national law firm placement studies and surveys like Vault, Leiter's rankings, etc. -- it's simply not competitive on a national basis with GW and Cornell.

For specializing in international law -- the poster's stated interest -- GW and Cornell have commensurate faculty quality. For placement in DC, GW adminsters a beat-down to Cornell: Vault placement data also reports 39 GW in Biglaw, versus 4 for Cornell.

Cornell places 2.5% of each exiting class in government -- about 4 or 5 students total. GW places 18% of each graduating class in government -- or about 72 people. Over time, that's a lot more GW grads circulating in government, and it certainly helps one's career prospects.

For a few things, Cornell probably would be better -- like empirical legal studies, or Biglaw placement in Boston. That's 'bout it.

Good luck to the poster, tho'!

I can assure you biglaw placement and legal studies aren't the only advantages COrnell has. As a west coaster who lived in Chicago, there is no comparison. I've worked in law firms in both locales and Cornell and GW were def not considered peers. my impression was the firm would take anybody in the top two thirds at cornell, but wanted top 25 percent for GW.

As for government work here is some anecdotal evidence: My friend who graduated this year from the 'nell spent his two summers working for big firms in NYC. He had no problem switching tracks and getting a job with the Federal Trade Commission w/o law review or top of the class stats.

Don't want to seem like I'm passing GW b/c it is great for DC and is probably considered semi-national, but the idea that it rolls over Cornell in any market just isn't true.

sam

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 10:39:56 PM »
I can assure you biglaw placement and legal studies aren't the only advantages COrnell has. As a west coaster who lived in Chicago, there is no comparison. I've worked in law firms in both locales and Cornell and GW were def not considered peers. my impression was the firm would take anybody in the top two thirds at cornell, but wanted top 25 percent for GW.

As for government work here is some anecdotal evidence: My friend who graduated this year from the 'nell spent his two summers working for big firms in NYC. He had no problem switching tracks and getting a job with the Federal Trade Commission w/o law review or top of the class stats.

Don't want to seem like I'm passing GW b/c it is great for DC and is probably considered semi-national, but the idea that it rolls over Cornell in any market just isn't true.

Celtigo, decisions isn't interested in the west coast or Chicago, so who cares about your experiences working in firms there?  He also isn't interested in NYC, so again, what you're saying about your friend there doesn't help. 

decisions, in your situation and with your interests, my vote is for GW.