Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: full vs. part time odds the same?  (Read 326 times)

babyeatsdingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
full vs. part time odds the same?
« on: July 14, 2006, 11:21:56 AM »
I was told by Santa Clara that there is no difference in liklihood of admission to their full time and part time programs.  But if they don't lower their standards for and thus make it easier to get into their part time program then why the drop in UGPA (see below)?  Though the LSAT numbers are close, why would there be any difference at all?  I wonder if because of differing median age for incoming students from one program to the next they correspondingly 'age' the data, considering UGPA less important for older students.  Any other ideas?

Full Time
75th percentile UGPA/LSAT: 3.60/161
25th percentile UGPA/LSAT: 3.21/157

vs.

Part Time:
75th percentile UGPA/LSAT: 3.37/160
25th percentile UGPA/LSAT: 2.98/156

In any case, I note a similar situation applies to the University of San Diego and would expect the pattern to hold for all schools with full time and part time programs.  Does anyone know otherwise?

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: full vs. part time odds the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 11:51:18 AM »
Because they can't predict what the applicant pool will look like for the upcoming year...

Two years ago, the 75%ile LSAT for the PT program at my school was one point lower than the FT program...last year, it was one-point higher than the FT program...this year, they are the same.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: full vs. part time odds the same?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »
Don't hold me to this, but my understanding is that the US News stats are only for full-time day-time, fall applicants. Maybe someone will correct me here, but if that is true, then part-timers do risk upsetting whatever ranking strategy the school is working on. Thus, you might be able to get away with spliting more or something along those lines.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10