Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McGill law school and LSATs.  (Read 5061 times)

stratagem09

• View Profile
McGill law school and LSATs.
« on: August 17, 2004, 03:16:09 PM »
Hello all,

I am wondering how many of you are thinking, or are going, to McGill law school. From what I know, they do not require the LSATs. May I ask, what do they focus on then, for applications? I'm from Canada, and I know Canadian schools in general focus on "numbers" (GPA, scores,...), but would a strong personal statement strengthen my application?

Also, do any of you know any Canadian law schools which doesn't require a high LSAT score? Obviously, Toronto, York and McGill (if applicable), require strong LSAT scores. But how about UBC, Calgary, Western Ontario, or others?

Any advice you have on McGill on LSATs in Canadian law schools would be greatly appreciated.

stratagem09

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: McGill law school and LSATs.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 06:04:32 PM »
I'm going to start by saying, McGill sucks!  haha ... okay, in my opinion. 

Anyways, I don't know where you got the info. that they don't require an LSAT.  They do.  Last year, their average LSAT score was 160.

Check out this website,

http://www.campusaccess.com/campus_web/educ/e4grad_lacan.htm

stratagem09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:17:13 PM »
No they don't. LSATs are *optional* at McGill. However, if you took them, you must report your score.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:31:55 PM »
McGill doesn't require the LSAT.  Make sure you get your application in on day one, they have a rolling admission's process. 

You need to be able to read French for the Quebec Civil Law class.  The lectures are in English but the text is in French.

McGill's LS is top notch, if you look at Columbia's clerkship roster, there are two McGill alumnis and zero UofT chicklets...
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 10:35:06 PM »
the reason i don't like mcgill is because everyone who goes to mcgill talks about it like its the best school in the country by far.  lets be honest here ... this isn't the case.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 10:44:53 PM »
The only reason McGill "sucks" is b/c of the lack of funding.  Due to the Quebec separation issue, McGill is the second least funded school in Quebec.  They are only ahead of Concordia, which is another English school.  I think this is truly terrible as McGill use to be the jewel of Canadian Universities.  But, due to the cut backs, the facilities are now run down and there isn't enough money to attract top notch scholars.  It is sad to see such a great University crumble b/c of politics.

I agree UofT is a great school, simply b/c it is one of the best funded University in Canada.  As in business, money does matter in education too!  But, McGill still dominates UofT--as well as the rest of Canada--in producing the greatest number of Nobel Laureates, but the question is how long will this record last...

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:48:50 PM »
honestly, i really know nothing about the school itself so I can't discuss any of the issues you mention.  And I wasn't saying that UofT is the best school either.  Personally, I go to UofT and I hate it...but that's me. 

Anyways, i have an exam tomorrow so I'm off.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:54:18 PM »
I believe UofT is the best University in Canada right now.  Its only problem is the large class sizes, other than that, it has a good reputation, amazing facilities (the best), and great professors; all contributing to a conducive environment for academia.  But, I often feel that one important part about University is getting to know your classmates and the prof.  This is relatively more difficult to achieve at Toronto.

Good luck, and hope you do well on your exam.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 07:11:32 PM »
I might be going to U of T after all...if my g/f gets into optometry in Waterloo i'm moving east...argh liberals! Haha

Matt

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 08:38:55 PM »
well, waterloo and UofT aren't all that close.  But you'll have way more options for law school in Ontario.

ps - agrrrr conservatives! (decide on a party already! and a credible candidate!)