Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Your advice appreciated.  (Read 4154 times)

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Your advice appreciated.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 05:49:34 PM »
Sorry, but retake the LSAT, unless you have some spectacular circumstances, you are not coming close to those schools with that score.  They can't take a hit like that on their averages.
3.8/155

ghostpirate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 06:09:04 PM »
That shouldn't weigh down their averages any more than someone with a 160, because the averages are done by median rather than mean.  This is why being above the 75th percentile is super-good: you won't just perpetuate their current statistics, you will raise them.  Being below the 25th percentile is similarly bad, but getting a 120, from the perspective purely of being a USNews LSAT stat whore of an admissions dean, is no worse than a 160, at a competitive school anyways.  Now, what it does to the graduation and bar passage rate is a whole different story.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 01:01:35 AM »
good point (I think.. its late, but the math seemed to make sense)
3.8/155

nathanielmark

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 09:06:55 AM »
a 146 would put you in strong contention for a tier 3 school with your oxford background.  Here are some schools where you would have solid prospects for admission.  keep in mind, these numbers are a little old and thus a little low...

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/4/desc/LSATLow

if you want to see your chances at top schools you can see them here...

http://www.chiashu.com/cgi-bin/lsac.cgi?gpa=3.5&lsat=146

nathanielmark

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 09:07:47 AM »
you are talking out your ass.

Just for the record, "Or would you suggest me going..." is not extraordinary writing. ;-) Sorry, couldn't resist!

Seriously, I don't see anything in the law school admissions process that's a lock. A 178 won't guarantee you a seat at Harvard any more than a 146 will automatically get you rejected. Numbers and names aren't the only things with which admissions folks tinker. They look for uniqueness. Are you unique? I mean, aside from the whole intelligent-yet-scored-poorly-on-the-LSAT thing. :-) Sorry, again, couldn't resist!

I say apply to the schools you like. Don't settle. Oh... and take the LSAT again! 

nathanielmark

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 09:10:03 AM »

this is wrong... most adcoms weigh LSAT to GPA at 80/20, if you dont believe me look at the index formulas.

Take the LSAT again, here's how most adcoms weigh the numbers 50% LSAT, 40% GPA, 10% other (personal statement etc.).  So if you really think you can do a 160 or better on the LSAT then take it again period.  If your GPA drops slightly (.25 or less) a 160 LSAT more than makes up for it even though they avg. the scores (153).

nathanielmark

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 09:43:24 AM »
"A 178 won't guarantee you a seat at Harvard any more than a 146 will automatically get you rejected. Numbers and names aren't the only things with which admissions folks tinker. They look for uniqueness."

Why do you think that I'm talking out my ass?

nathanielmark

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:54 AM »
i am a realist.

So you think I'm wrong? They don't look for uniqueness? They only accept people within the 25/75 range? I hate to say this, but you really must be as old as your profile indicates... because you're pretty narrow minded, Green.

"A 178 won't guarantee you a seat at Harvard any more than a 146 will automatically get you rejected. Numbers and names aren't the only things with which admissions folks tinker. They look for uniqueness."

Why do you think that I'm talking out my ass?

foxnewssucks

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 11:20:54 AM »
Darn Tootin'?? What the hell is this?

nathanielmark

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 11:20:58 AM »
I disagree.  my bet is that for most schools the range of scores below the 25th percentile is fairly tight with perhaps minor exceptions for legacies and biggers ones for URMs.  many of those people will only be admitted off the waitlist, which will be mainly compiled of people who had numbers that were competitive.

you guys can keep refusing to look at reality all you want.  im sure you can find numerous people who have gone thru the app process that will support my position.

I am, too. But ya know what, if you're below the 25/75 range it really doesn't matter a whole lot how far below it you are. They're gonna accept some people down there and the LSAT score isn't gonna be the deciding factor. You are gonna be the deciding factor. This is not talking out my ass... this is an assimilation of what the dozens and dozens of deans of admissions, associate deans of admissions, admissions folks in general, and law profs have told me and an attempt to make some sense of it all. Granted, admissions is based largely on numbers (Yale most of all!), but only because that's the easiest way to deal with thousands of applicants. When it comes down to it these schools want a solid student body. Sometimes the best student body contains a 146 on the LSAT. And they know this. Is it harder? Darn tootin'! But impossible? No way.

i am a realist.