Law School Discussion

"Things to Remember" list

"Things to Remember" list
« on: July 13, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »
Am I the only one who is getting a little overwhelmed with all of the little things involved in moving to a new city, starting school, adjusting to law school? I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we list a lot of odds and ends things that we all might forget to do if not reminded. I'll start...(keep in mind all things won't apply to everyone)

1. Set up mail forwarding with the post office
2. Shut off utilities at old place, start new accounts in new place
3. Check on car registration rules for vehicles
4. Finalize medical insurance--fax proof of MMR and other vaccinations if school requests
5. Get tax receipts for all of those extra clothes and such that you are donating while moving/cleaning

That's all I can think of....ready-go :)

Momo09

• View Profile
Re: "Things to Remember" list
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »
change address with banks, credit card issuers
you moving to another state, may need new drivers license to get auto insurance
make sure your cell phone plan covers long distance and you're not roaming at the new place
let friends and family know your new address, numbers

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:40:28 AM »
i thought of more...

1. routine car maintenance--get an oil change if it's been a while, check on what preventative maintenance you will need (timing belts, tire changes, alignments etc...)

2. research new banks in your new city if need be

3. Call and secure renter's insurance for your new property

Kevin26.2

• i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:46:48 AM »
You can do your change of address on line at the postal service website:

https://moversguide.usps.com/

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 10:22:15 AM »
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!

hopeful20

• Toast for tomorrow, but drink for today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 06:55:29 PM »
Great thread greegrl!

for those of you moving out of state, like me, ...

1.  if your pet is moving with you (either by car or plane), you need to get a certification from your current vet a few days before your trip to verify that your pet is healthy and has no diseases.  airlines will not let your animal travel if you dont have the certificate and if you get pull over on the road, they might take the pet in to the local pound to get it check, which will greatly delay your trip. 

2.  update your address with your employers of 2006, so that they know where to mail your W2s and 1099s in January 2007. 

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 04:53:52 PM »
I'll add to this:

Change your address with the Law School Admissions Office, as well as on the school's website.

Strong

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
Get new checks with your updated adress

Tell your stupid bank to quit sending you any paper statements. I told them never to sendme anything ever. That's just my prefrence.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 05:24:07 PM »

Tell your stupid bank to quit sending you any paper statements. I told them never to sendme anything ever. That's just my prefrence.

This was the smartest thing I ever did--I hate paper statements. I'm getting rid of ALL of them

Good call on the checks..

unrelated: anyone know of a website or reference resource for selecting a bank. i never put a lot of thought into it but it seems that maybe i should.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »

This was the smartest thing I ever did--I hate paper statements. I'm getting rid of ALL of them

Good call on the checks..

unrelated: anyone know of a website or reference resource for selecting a bank. i never put a lot of thought into it but it seems that maybe i should.

We use a credit union and I was all ready to dump my account and open a new one here when I discovered that there is some sort of "credit union alliance" that allows me to use the ATMs and visit branches here just as if I was "back home." I have been working things this way for the past month or so with good results. I don't think my wife and I are itching for change - pretty happy customers.

Oingo