Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Horror Story  (Read 10014 times)

GregRosenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
LSAT Horror Story
« on: February 07, 2004, 07:43:37 AM »
I spent 6 weeks eating, breathing, and sleeping the lsat.  I took 33 practice tests, one almost everyday.  This test became natural to me.  I got inside the testmakers heads.  I knew the answers to the questions even before reading the answer choices.  I was ready to score a 180.  I handled the stress quite well.  I was ready to go into the test and tear it apart. 

I tailored my sleeping schedule so that I fall asleep by 8pm and wake up at 5am everyday.  The night before the test I goto bed at 8, fall asleep by 9 and then wake up at 1am.  I layed in bed for the rest of the night trying to fall asleep, but couldn't.  By 4am I was ready to shoot myself.  I don't know if I have a sleeping disorder or what.  I got 4 hours of sleep that night and felt like *&^%.  My brain wasn't functioning and definitely was not ready to take this test.  I did every possible thing I could to prepare for this test. 

ON TEST DAY (today) I HAD EVERY POSSIBLE ADVANTAGE, EXCEPT A FUNCTIONING RESTED BRAIN.

I ended up not taking this February test and changing my test date to June.

God help me.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: LSAT Horror Story
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 08:13:18 AM »
Wow - I never realized there were no LSATs offered between Feb and June.

It sounds like you just need to relax before the exam.  Maybe you should try to treat test day more like a normal day.  Watch a movie the night before to chill out.  I recommend Baraka for this (seriously - I watched it before some of my first year exams - it puts things in perspective).

If I recall correctly, the June LSAT starts a little later in the day than the others, so that should help too - you can have a more typical sleep schedule.

Finally, remember that all that work is not lost.  You're now ready for the LSAT four months ahead of time.  If you take a practice test every week you can keep up what you're already good at and build amazing consistancy.

GregRosenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 10:16:33 AM »
I did relax, I saw a movie the night before the test with my friends, and I took xanax to relieve the anxiety and to help me fall asleep at 9pm, but then I woke but at 1am and couldn't fall back asleep.

And I already took every practice test that was released so I'll have to take tests that I already took.

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 02:09:40 PM »
I played video games the night before my exam.  Worked for me.

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 11:02:02 PM »
Maybe you put too much pressure on yourself.  It sounds like you're a little intense about this.  Try not to think of this test as the end-all and be-all of the rest of your life.  It sounds like you're very prepared and well inevitably do well.

pbc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 02:57:24 PM »
From what you have stated in your post, it seems to me that you have a decent sleep routine established; however, you are having a problem coping with pre-LSAT anxiety. This condition is easily treatable by medication, Ambien PO - 10 MG 1X DAILY. Be proactve and discuss your treatment options with your doctor. Chances are, Ambien will enable you to sleep soundly the night before the test without making you feel drowsy or sedated the next day.  Make sure that you experiment - I don't mean taking the medication without a prescription - with the medication to ensure that you will not experience any adverse side effects the night before and the morning of the exam. If Ambien is not for you, you may want to consider a low-level benzodiazepine like Klonopin. Good Luck.   

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 01:36:56 AM »
greg- your story is not uncommon.  You seem to have prepared quite well.  In fact, it seems to me that you prepared more than a typical law school applicant.  That is great, but I think you are running the risk of freaking yourself out, which could hurt your score come test day.  Remember, a lot of people argue that the LSAT does not truly test your ability to practice law.  Though I would agree, your situation is an example of one thing that it does test.........How do you handle stress?  The practice of law is quite stressful, and by placing soo much emphasis on a few hours of testing, law schools can see how people handle it. 

YOU ARE FINE!!!  YOU HAVE PUT IN THE WORK...YOU ARE SCORING WELL...DON'T FREAK OUT IF YOU DON'T GET ANY SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE THE TEST!!!

If I had a nickel for every person who told me that they couldn't sleep the night before the LSAT, I would not need financial aid for law school!  Just think how you will feel before a big case!  Anyway, you are going to do fine.  Continue to study, take a break a few days before the test, take your mind off of it, and if you still can't sleep before the test...don't worry, you will still do fine!  You will rise to the task. 

I myself did not sleep a wink the night before the test, and scored higher than I was getting on practice tests.

Jason

midwestfool

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 10:15:21 AM »
I myself only got about six hours of sleep  -- I didn't feel well rested.   Some people require less sleep, some more.   Well, anyways, I went to bed at around 10, but couldn't fall asleep until one.   I almost freaked because I'm usually out like a light.   So, I then took my wife's recommendation to take a benadryl (OTC Cough/Sinus Medicine).   Knocked me right out.   Greg, you sound like a smart guy.   I think you'll fare better on the June afternoon test.   I think you'll be in the zone next time.

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 11:29:27 PM »
Hi...wow...I had a similar experience not being able to relax the night before the test last Saturday...but was faced with a flood in my basement due to all the melting snow. It was 11pm and everything in the basement was drenched. I got so upset and was unable to fall asleep. But I got up and took the exam, feeling very exhausted which zapped my focus; I had moments of panic during the exam. I am concerned about the score.
My application for the local part-time program of my choice is already in. I am an older student and my app. package was well prepared
and the presentation was excellent, including my statement. I requested that the weight of the decision be put on my background and accomplishments (a long list)...but I am very concerned about my LSAT score. The school received my package and immediately went to LSAC for my file...and is now awaiting the 3/1 report. I thought about cancelling the score because I know I struggled too much on the exam, but don't want to lose my chances of a possible acceptance.
I just wonder if a school will really overlook a low (maybe real low)score with a dynamite app.,statement, strong community service, and 4 great rec letters with a ref. by a prof in the school.I am an advocate/activist and have initiated/presented/argued cases on my own--and won in court! Have also initiated changes in local laws/ordinances  and founded a community coalition which does great things and has received publicity (all mentioned with exhibits in app).
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...I am concerned about the damage of a low score. I also feel embarrassed because I know people in admissions.
And--should I contact them/the school explaining I am not a decent test taker and had a property flood the day before? I'm stuck on this one. I did not mention my poor testing on standardized exams.Their program is so right for me and I want this very much.
Advice? Support on this will really help me...

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 12:19:56 AM »
You may have ended up doing better than you thought, and it will all be moot!

However, if you're worried, maybe send the school a short addendum (1/2 pg) explaining the situation before your scores are released. As long as you keep your tone explanative, and not excusatory, I donít think it can hurt.

Good luck!