Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT Horror Story  (Read 9824 times)

Marnet

• View Profile
Re: LSAT Horror Story
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 10:50:38 AM »
Thanks, JustMe...
If I write an addendum, should I mention all my factors that may have resulted in a lower score (poor standardized test taking, my anxiety about it PLUS the unexpected flood emergency in the house the night before the test causing upset and lack of sleep)?
I am so concerned about this...

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 02:33:18 PM »
Again, this is just me (hah!), and i'm not qualified to give advice any more the guy sitting out on the corner, but I'd focus on the flood. Everyone is anxious. You could write something like:

I'm writing to provide a brief explanation to why I think my performance on the Feb LSAT is not indicative of my ability to achieve at Podunk Law School. Naturally, I was anxious the night before the exam, and I've never been one to excel at standardized tests. Unfortunately, that was heightened when Podunkville recerived a massive snowstorm that caused extensive flood damage in my basement....

If you do want the committee to know you have a history with standardized tests and focus on that more, you shold be prepared to include evidence of past poor performance that did not correlate to your abilities as a student.

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 12:12:59 AM »
Thanks, JustMe. The next question is: should I write to them now, before the actual test score comes in...as a fact and condition applicable to any score I get...or wait until the score arrives? They already have my application package and confirmed that so I will need to send the addendum with a note requesting it gets included in my file and during their decision-making process. I could also hand-deliver the addendum since I am close to the school and know a few key players in admissions.

Last year I took the national teacher's exam --another standardized test though very different in type. It required alot of factual and diversified knowledge. I was tense about it. I passed the test with acceptable score for my state by merely a few points...still, the point being I did pass which enabled me to get certification...and I have been performing successfully in the teaching field. Prior to that, I took the SAT's years ago and recall scoring just under 1,000. But it got me into college and, ultimately I transferred and graduated from a division of the school I am now applying to. I am a very hard worker who can function well under stress, I just seem to react to and perform on tests poorly. If all else fails with this, and the attempt here results in a rejection due to this exam, I know I can just keep trying and retake it.

Thank you so much for helping me with this...know you are appreciated.     

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 02:42:15 AM »
It's really up to you when to send it. The way I see it, if you send it now you risk sounding like a "spoiled brat" (for lack or a better word) if your score comes back high. The benefit of sending it now is your less likely to be perceived as trying to make excuses after the fact. If you wait until after scores are released, you get to decide if the committee should see your letter or not.

Personally, I'd send it in as soon as possible, make sure it's dated and gets there well before your scores do. But again, I'm no authority on the subject. I'd be curious if others have a different perspective.

If it helps, I'll tell you about my situation. I took the Dec LSAT, and a poorly handled cell phone call hurt my score (posted in another thread on this topic). Retook in Feb, even though most of the schools I applied to don't accept Feb scores. Right now I'm writing a letter so I can send it off as soon as I get the scores. I'm basially saying, look, I had this bad situation (which is noted in my LSAC file) so I retook in Feb, and even though it's late, I'd like you to consider this score in place of my Dec score. Don't know if it'll work, but I figure it can't hurt.

Of course if I end up having done worse, I'll have to just go hide under my bed for a bit.

kslaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 09:04:42 AM »
Just a thought...since schools are going to also be concerned with the individual's ability to pass the Bar exam, will telling them you don't test well have a negative effect?

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 02:35:58 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't write a letter.  Law school admission people don't like to hear excuses.  Everyone has horror stories as to why they weren't on their A game during the test.  If you did poorly, then retake it.  If you do a lot better the second time, then you should write a letter explaining why the first score was low and not an indication of your true potential.  This is what law schools would be interested in.

I am sure you did fine.  The test is designed to freak you out.  Wait for the score to come back, then decide on a course of action.

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 09:23:48 AM »
JustMe...what do you mean when you say you had your situation noted in your LSAC file? Is there some way I can simply make a note online regarding this situation?

Marnet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 09:27:29 AM »
Thanks for your post, Jason. And if the test was supposed to freak prospective students out...hummm...I can say some of the questions succeeded at that -- they were off the map!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 11:48:28 AM »
I just looked at justme's other thread (about the cell phone) due to circumstances involved while the LSAT was being administered justme was allowed to have a letter of complain put in his LSAC file regarding the cell phone fiasco. So you could probably only have your situation noted if the LSAC personnel had something to do with your distraction, or I could be wrong and yu can contact LSDAS personnel and find out if you can have this hiderance added to your file that law schools will look at.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

justme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 12:38:20 PM »
yep. I wrote a letter of complaint, mainly because it was handled very badly, and I really believed it affected my score. After the test I spoke to a couple different admissions offices and asked their advice, and most seemed to think writing a letter of complaint was a good idea. There's a deadline for when you can send LSAC a letter, however, and it means that you score report will be delayed. About a week after scores were released, I got a letter from LSAC giving me three options: cancel my score and retake in Feb at no cost; accept my score and have a copy of my letter included in my score reports to schools; or just accept my score. I choose the second, faxed it back to them. My scores were released the next day. On my answer sheet, I could see that half the questions I got wrong on the whole test were clustered around when the phone had rang. I retook in Feb though without doing too much extra prep, so I guess I'll know if there really was a difference.

SO to answer your questions Marnet, no, you can't just complain online. You have to fax or mail a letter. My complaint was about something internal to the administration of the test.