Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LGBT Students at the University of Chicago  (Read 702 times)

lyquidmyrrrh

• AOL Instant Messenger - lyquidmyrrrh
    • View Profile
    • LSN
LGBT Students at the University of Chicago
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:39:38 PM »
Hey all... just wondering if any students have experience being LGBT at Chicago... If you aren't LGBT but go to Chicago, do you know people who are?  The school has a somewhat conservative reputation, but I definitely do not want that to deter me from applying, as long as I know it's fairly laid-back there.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Students at the University of Chicago
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 02:42:07 AM »
I went to Chicago undergrad, so my experience is mostly with the school overall. There is a good LGBT community, and the atmosphere is very positive and laid-back. From people I know who went to the law school, I got the strong impression that it was the same.

Note: Chicago's conservative reputation primarily comes from its economics department, and the fact that several prominent members of the faculty are very associated with approaching legal questions with an economic methodology. I don't think the school is particularly socially conservative compared to its peers.
Columbia 2L.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Students at the University of Chicago
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:24:04 PM »
I went to Chicago undergrad, so my experience is mostly with the school overall. There is a good LGBT community, and the atmosphere is very positive and laid-back. From people I know who went to the law school, I got the strong impression that it was the same.

Note: Chicago's conservative reputation primarily comes from its economics department, and the fact that several prominent members of the faculty are very associated with approaching legal questions with an economic methodology. I don't think the school is particularly socially conservative compared to its peers.

FWIW, this mirrors what I've heard from friends at Chicago. Particularly the part about it not being at all socially conservative.
U Chi '09