Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Do You Need To Go Complete? (A General Forum for Specifics.)  (Read 81474 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Need To Go Complete? (A General Forum for Specifics.)
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »
At YLS, the PS is optional, but the 250-word essay (short ps?) is NOT optional.  I can imagine people getting in without the former, but not the latter.

As for diversity statements, they are not required of middle-class white males.  I didn't even think of writing one (though in retrospect, I could have).  It didn't make a difference for me.  While they aren't required, a good one might make a difference. 

madison07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2006, 12:01:55 AM »
Wisconsin asks for a Statement of Purpose.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2006, 12:09:51 AM »
Thanks again!  I'll add that.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »
BUMP!

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2006, 11:11:53 PM »
MaraudingJ, thanks for putting this together (even though you called me retarded like a week ago ;) - we coo'). Anyway, just wanted to say you've got G-town on the diversity statement list twice.
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2006, 11:54:17 PM »
Thanks!

And, just so you know, as far as I'm concerned, everyone's retarded in his or her own special way.   :D

xk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2006, 10:23:36 AM »
This line between statement of purpose and personal statement is very burry.  Ideally, you’d probably want an essay that does both.  If that’s not possible, it may be better to lean towards statement of purpose.  It seems to me that despite law schools insistence that they don’t want another “Why I want to be a lawyer?” personal statement, many actually want that exact question answered.

According to Montauk (2004):

“It’s always good to see an applicant who knows what he or she intends to do in the future, based upon solid evidence.”  Georgetown Admissions

“The question we’re always asking ourselves when we read their files is, ‘Why law school?’  If we don’t have a clear understanding of why, it is difficult to make a strong case for admission…  If we don’t understand why law school, and why now, that admissions offer may not come since we are looking for clarity and focus at this point.  This is true even for someone with a very strong undergraduate record and ninety-ninth percentile LSAT scores.”  Stanford Admissions

“When I read an essay I ask myself, ‘What does the applicant know about himself and about law that leads him to think that this is the direction he wants to go in?’  I want to be sure that choosing law has been  thoughtful decision, not a reflexive one.”  Columbia Admissions

Should you write statement of purpose essays for these schools?

dusya4

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2006, 10:30:13 AM »
This line between statement of purpose and personal statement is very burry.  Ideally, you’d probably want an essay that does both.  If that’s not possible, it may be better to lean towards statement of purpose.  It seems to me that despite law schools insistence that they don’t want another “Why I want to be a lawyer?” personal statement, many actually want that exact question answered.

“It’s always good to see an applicant who knows what he or she intends to do in the future, based upon solid evidence.”  Georgetown Admissions

“The question we’re always asking ourselves when we read their files is, ‘Why law school?’  If we don’t have a clear understanding of why, it is difficult to make a strong case for admission…  If we don’t understand why law school, and why now, that admissions offer may not come since we are looking for clarity and focus at this point.  This is true even for someone with a very strong undergraduate record and ninety-ninth percentile LSAT scores.”  Stanford Admissions

“When I read an essay I ask myself, ‘What does the applicant know about himself and about law that leads him to think that this is the direction he wants to go in?’  I want to be sure that choosing law has been  thoughtful decision, not a reflexive one.”  Columbia Admissions

I think it's also possible to convey your interest in law school through your LORs if the relationship with the recommender is such that you feel comfortable telling him/her to fill that gap. That's the route I decided to take.
All you need is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=XYHA4

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2006, 11:28:40 AM »

If that was the 2004 version of the book, that means he talked to the admissions people in 2003 or before.  I'm not sure that this is necessarily true today.  A lot of the evidence seems to point to admissions people wanting the ps to say why the person is 'special' and to think i like this person when they finish it.

I think the bolded part is key.  Most applicants (esp those coming straight from undergrad) don't have any solid evidence of what they intend to do in the future.  They often don't have any legal experience at all, and those who want to practice in a specific area often don't have any experience in that area.

I would touch on it if it fits in with what you want your ps to say, but definitely don't make your entire ps a statement of intent or force it in if it doesn't work.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2006, 08:25:42 PM »
I think honesty and sincerity is key here.

If you have a great law-related reason to study law, then say so.  If you don't, then don't.  Whatever you do, just don't pretend like you know a lot about the law (except for those few cases where you actually might).  Why would they want you as a student when you already know everything?  You'll just look pretentious and, most likely, get something wrong and look damn foolish as well.