Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wisconsin "On Hold" Still?!?!?!  (Read 1618 times)

pdiddy

• View Profile
    • Email
Wisconsin "On Hold" Still?!?!?!
« on: July 13, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
 ??? I'm not quite sure how Wisconsin operates, but somehow I am still on hold.  I've called the law school several times (maybe once a month for the last 3 months) and they give very, very vague, undefined responses, such as "We may or may not be filled at this time and we may or may not review the hold list".  Wow...thanks!!!  So here it is July 13th, I've already had to send in my deposits for my school of choice (University Missouri-Columbia) and yet, somehow, I still would love to hear from my Number 1 choice.  I know I sound like that obsessive guy who stalks a girl that doesn't want him, but I would prefer to just be rejected right now.  If they do accept people this late, how is it even possible to move and get ready for law school? 

dodo97

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Wisconsin "On Hold" Still?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:17:02 PM »
I know HippieLawChick was taken off the list last summer sometime in late July and was able defer to this fall. I've heard that there are some people so dead set on UW that they go there the first day of orientation in case some people don't show up. For people like you (and me) who have other options in much different geographic regions, it's borderline impossible. But for someone that needs to stay in Wisconsin and is going to Marquette (or else one of the Chicago schools), it's not as big of a deal.

I think what it comes down to is that they have X number of people going (which was indicated to be more than 300 from the last time I heard from UW). So more than 30 people would have to withdraw between then and the start of classes for them to even go to the hold list (since their preferred class size is 270). They won't ding anyone on that list because they don't know if they need to go to it yet.

I was willing to wait into the summer since I'm only about an hour a way right now, but I sent my deposit to my place in Tempe yesterday, and withdrew this morning.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:53:24 PM »
Part of the issue with Wisconsin is that they don't require seat deposits.  The odds are pretty good that some jerk failed to tell them they arent going, and there will probably be openings at orientation.

Believe it or not, some of the tools on their admitted students board were whining that "they say they will assume I am not going if I don't get to orientation by 10:30 am" I think the school does that b/c of the lack of seat deposits leadsd to inconsiderate people no-showing.

pdiddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 11:14:29 PM »
Hey Hippylawchick,

I totally agree with you.  However upstanding and honorable most UW students may be, I know their admissions office assumes that everyone will fairly and honestly abide by the seat deposit rule, which means you simply have to state your intention to attend.  So while I'm on hold, some jerkoff might tell UW he's going even though he is really holding out for perhaps Michigan or a higher choice.  I don't know why Wisconsin doesn't make people put their money where their mouth is.  If you like the school and want to attend, be willing to put some money down and prove it.  But don't jerk around other people that are truly willing to commit.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 07:07:01 PM »
Here's a little postscript on the WI hold situation:

Turns out that the 1L class this year is about 27 more people than they expected due to almost no one deciding not to go. 

Looks like my underrated little law school is finally getting the popularity it so rightfully deserves.