Law School Discussion

Examples and Explanations and other study aids

Examples and Explanations and other study aids
« on: July 12, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
Are these books recommended on your syllabus/ or listed when you receive your section assignments and book lists, or do you have to seek out the ones you need on your own? i am asking because i want to make sure i get the E&E's for my first semester classes, but am unsure if i can just march into any law school  bookstore and buy them, or wait for them to be "recommended" by the professor. thanks in advance.

p.s. what other than E&E's should one use to supplement the case books? canned briefs? and if yes..who writes the best ones?

Re: Examples and Explanations and other study aids
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »
Law Professors generally aren't going to tell you what you need to use to supplement your classes. In fact the law professors probably discourage using supplements completely (if they do, completely disregard that advice).

I would just buy them online if I were you. Used, as opposed to new, if you want to save money.

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »
Buy used.  Ignore profs on that advice generally.  However, carefully follow the pattern of class--not the study aid.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
thanks for the repsones. now is there any significant difference in  Contract 1st edition vs. a Contracts 2nd edition? does anyone know the most recent edition of these books to be published? 2004, 2005? i have a friend who graduated in 2002 and im considering using her e&e's but it would stink if they were outdated, and i didnt realize it unitl too late....any idea?

@#$%, Fire, and Damnation.

• We're a team.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:06:57 PM »
thanks for the repsones. now is there any significant difference in  Contract 1st edition vs. a Contracts 2nd edition? does anyone know the most recent edition of these books to be published? 2004, 2005? i have a friend who graduated in 2002 and im considering using her e&e's but it would stink if they were outdated, and i didnt realize it unitl too late....any idea?

Not in areas like contracts or torts which are primarily governed by relatively static common law.  Or even crim law.  You're probably good with anything put out within the last 10 years on those.  On something like civil procedure I would try to get something recent or new because federal rules are updated on an ongoing basis.  I think the latest revision took effect in 2005 so watch out for that.

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »
Contracts: Edition 3 - 2004
Property: Edition 2 - 2004
Civil Procedure: Edition 5 - 2006
Torts: Edition 3 - 2005
Constitutional Law: Edition 3 - 2004

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 02:36:20 PM »
First, many of my profs suggested study aids that they liked (and in many cases it turned out that their classes directly mirrored the study aid).

Second, wait and see what casebook your prof is using, and then you can usually get a Legallines keyed to that casebook.  These are usually enough (and about all you'll have time for) to supplement your reading and make sure you understand the cases on a day to day basis.

Third, avoid using the E&Es until later on in the semester.  They are more of a cumulative review for which you need a bit of perspective and exposure before you can really make good use of them.  Moreover, the great benefit of the E&E is that it gives you exam-type questions and then "correct" answers.  Use these to study for exams, don't waste the effect too early in the semester.

Finally, topics like ConLaw, Criminal Procedure, CivPro, and Admin Law are subjects for which you should get new editions of the study aids. 

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »
Lawyers I worked with said buy the study aids even if the teachers recommend against it.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 04:25:31 PM »
I agree, but it is worth repeating.

Do not listen to professors who recommend against using commercial study aids.

Here is my story. My first semester I did not buy ANY study aids. I just did not know how the game works in law school. My thought was: "I didn't buy any extra materials in undergrad and did well. Why should I spend extra money on something that isn't required or recommended."

I did ok that semester, but I found out quickly that you can only hurt yourself thinking that way and I wonder how much better my grades would have been had I just used some sort of supplemental material. Supplemental material is pretty important, almost mandatory.

Momo09

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 04:41:29 PM »
key is to find used.  Most graduating students will look to unload them after they no longer have use for them.