Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. Maryland evening program or SUNY-Buffalo full time??  (Read 1173 times)

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
U. Maryland evening program or SUNY-Buffalo full time??
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:21:21 PM »

I just spoke with U. Maryland Law School and have been admitted off the waitlist for their evening program.  The adcomm said I can switch to the full-time day program after my first year.  Is going to U. Maryland (ranked 42) over SUNY-Buffalo (ranked 80th) going to make a big enough difference in my law school experience, and career propescts, to justify the extreme inconvenience of attending UMaryland's evening program, taking summer classes to catch up with the full-time day students, and then switching to the full-time program for my second year.  The adcomm told me to sleep on it, and call her tomorrow.  Any advice or comments would be very appreciated.

Zurichbr

• View Profile
Re: U. Maryland evening program or SUNY-Buffalo full time??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:08:06 PM »
First of all, congratulations on both.  Im sure you have thought of these things, but sometimes under periods of stress we forget to consider the obvious.  Going part-time to start might not be so bad as the first year can be extremely grueling and this would certainly make your load lighter as a 1L.  Yes, you would eventually have to catch up but by that point you would have a better understanding of what is required of a law student.  Here are some other things to consider:

1.  Location:  Where is the school located?

2.  Career Prospects:  Will the school provide you with the strongest background for the area/location in which you would like to practice

3.  Money:  Both are state schools so I would doubt there is a signficant difference here, unless you are a resident in one of the two states in which case money may be a deciding factor.

4.  Law Review:  Will you be able to grade on as a PT student or will you be required to write on.  Additionally, when will you be eligible for law review.

5.  How much do U.S. news rankings/prestige matter to you?  Im sure youve thought about this one a thousand times already.   

6.  EC's:  Clinics, journals, and other extra law school opportunities.  Sports program v. does UB have sports? Watching a game can be a lot of fun.  Not that this should be a deciding factor or there will be lots of time for these things, but you need something to relieve the stresses of law school.  Watchin "the game" might help with this.   

Im just getting ready for 1L too so its not like I have any actual experience with these things or how it might work out, but off the top of my head these seem to be some important factors to consider when making your decision.

donwario

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:12:40 PM »

I just spoke with U. Maryland Law School and have been admitted off the waitlist for their evening program.  The adcomm said I can switch to the full-time day program after my first year.  Is going to U. Maryland (ranked 42) over SUNY-Buffalo (ranked 80th) going to make a big enough difference in my law school experience, and career propescts, to justify the extreme inconvenience of attending UMaryland's evening program, taking summer classes to catch up with the full-time day students, and then switching to the full-time program for my second year.  The adcomm told me to sleep on it, and call her tomorrow.  Any advice or comments would be very appreciated.

Even with having to attend as a PT student, that is a pretty huge jump in terms of prestige and career opportunites. I know UMD has a great faculty and is the best school in that state. They have also been rising a lot lately in the rankings. I don't know much about Buffalo. Are you from Buffalo?

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »
I would say go to Maryland. My cousin went there and had great job options (she now works in NYC) in the Mid-Atlantic. Being a pt student might not be bad because you would have less classes to stress about as a 1L and could devote more time to each class. From what I understand, part-time people there are pretty involved (percentage wise) on law review and journals. You can check LSAC for that information. Congrats on both and good luck next year.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 10:41:04 PM »
I am GOING to Maryland in the fall, so you can guess where my vote resides.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:21:14 PM »
First, I have a question.  If you end up at Maryland, do you intend to work? It doesn't seem that way from what you're saying.  I'm going to Maryland in the fall and will be in the evening program, but I will be working a full-time job, so my concerns are a little different from the ones you've discussed. 

However, I know the answers to some of the questions posed by the second poster, but I'm not sure if you are concerned about those issues.  If so, please PM me and I'll be happy to answer what I can. 

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:51:43 PM »
Thank you for all the advice!  I am a New York State resident, so would enjoy a significant reduction in tuition if I decided to attend Buffalo but at the same time am attracted to the reputation and opportunities at Maryland.  Would it be absurd for me to call Maryland and ask for more time??

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
Thank you for all the advice!  I am a New York State resident, so would enjoy a significant reduction in tuition if I decided to attend Buffalo but at the same time am attracted to the reputation and opportunities at Maryland.  Would it be absurd for me to call Maryland and ask for more time??

If you do not want to sit for the Marylad or D.C. Bar then go to Buffalo.

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »

I don't think you should ask for much more time this late in the process. You are probably one of the last students being offered a slot. I think you have been given a pretty great opportunity and should jump at the chance to go to Maryland.
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 09:47:46 PM »
I definitely agree.  Had they offered me a slot in the full time program, it would not even be an issue.  I am just apprehensive about doing an evening program.  I called them and they very graciously gave me until Monday. 

I have greatly appreciated everyone's input.....