Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Questions About How Law School Really Works...  (Read 4225 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Questions About How Law School Really Works...
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2006, 04:39:41 AM »
i think the same can be said for lots of professions.

i wish he would have provided some anecdotal evidence with the article, or links to his stats

This is so true- why aren't people telling high school students that getting a liberal arts degree isn't going to give them the skills they need to get a good job (for the most part), because a lot of people coming out with liberal arts degrees get stuck doing the same clerical work that people with no degrees were doing several decades ago. There are a "select few" there as well who find fulfilling jobs that use the skills they learned while getting their degrees.

1) This would discourage people from attending college - and a college degree will get you a number of better jobs than will a high school diploma

2) A lot of people end up in jobs that aren't directly related to their majors.  This does not mean that their degrees were meaningless, or that they shouldn't have gone to college.  Since I have no friends, I have to use myself as an example - I'm a history major who worked in management consulting.  I learned how to research and write in undergrad, and pretty much everything else I needed to know, I learned on the job.  Maybe a business/commerce degree would've helped me in ways that I don't understand, but I'm skeptical.

3) Some jobs directly use skills that liberal arts majors teach.  Econ, language majors, poli sci all come out with applicable skills.  You do acknowledge this group as a "select few," and I do wonder how many people this applies to.  I probably could've worked in a museum, but I really didn't want to.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2006, 08:50:34 AM »
I'm not trying to make any negative comments about having a LA degree, since I have one. However, I think the value of a BA/BS depends heavily on the area in which you live. My area is not very educated and most employers coming here do not hire for jobs that require any sort of degree. While it's true that getting a liberal arts degree does teach you to research and write, when a good deal of hiring managers have no degree, it's hard to impress upon them the value of having those skills. I think that people who have degrees will likely learn faster than those who don't, but here people don't care much about how fast you can learn. They want you to know about it already.

m34ch

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
...I know the hardest part of the LSAT for me was the part with the words..

dude, not to rag on you too hard, but that could be the single greatest excuse i've ever heard.  i'm gonna use that for everything from now on

"the hardest part of getting a date is the part with the girls"
"the hardest part of throwing a slider is the part with the ball"
"the hardest part of getting a job is the part with the job"

thanks for making me laugh
Albany Law, Class of 2009