Law School Discussion

1L Questions About How Law School Really Works...

Einstein

• View Profile
Re: 1L Questions About How Law School Really Works...
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 07:42:20 AM »
A little off-topic, but I thought it was interesting that all those averages were above the supposed national average (150).  I'm curious as to what majors/concentrations average below that mark.

I've seen that list before and the bottom?  Pre-law and criminology.

http://www.ivc.edu/econ/lsatscores.aspx

That data is over 10 years old.. def. irrelevant seeing that the table shows such a substantial change in the rankings in only 2-3 years.  And by now who knows where everyone ranks.. 

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 08:01:55 AM »
That data is over 10 years old.. def. irrelevant seeing that the table shows such a substantial change in the rankings in only 2-3 years.  And by now who knows where everyone ranks.. 

Illogical. Think about it some more.

no really explain to me how these are valid figures. 
this data is from 1994 and the other column of data is from 1991

in 1991 ENGINEERING was ranked 6th place
in 1994 ENGINEERING was ranked 12h place

if at this rate ENGINEERING kept falling by 6 points in the rank then it would be ranked 36 place now, since it is 2006.  But that is assuming the trend is linear. 

No you think about it some more.. ::)

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 08:13:15 AM »
Law school is not a means to an end, but is rather a tool used to open up more doors than you can imagine.   

Is this guy even aware of the words that come out of his mouth? 

Law school is not a means - an instrument by which a task can be accomplished - but rather it is a tool.   And this tool doesn't help you reach ends like money and prestige, it merely opens doors to you (apparrantly not doors to money or prestige, however). 

People like this make me a little sad inside.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  It's like saying: "It's not a sundae, but rather two scoops of vanilla ice cream with fudge, nuts whipped cream and a cherry on top."

Damnit, now I'm hungry.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 08:42:13 AM »
The data is def. weird in the sense that math/physics is number one in both of the data sets.  And math and physics are very very closely related to engineering.  By the time you graduate engineering you have a minor in math.  And physics is full of equations also.. hmm.. something isn't right..

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 08:58:45 AM »
The data is def. weird in the sense that math/physics is number one in both of the data sets.  And math and physics are very very closely related to engineering.  By the time you graduate engineering you have a minor in math.  And physics is full of equations also.. hmm.. something isn't right..

That doesn't mean anything, except that pure science and math as opposed to engineering majors perform better.  It'd be the same thing as saying that the data is weird because Econ majors score so much better than those who majored in business, marketing, sales, etc.

I use to teach physics and pre-calculus on campus, I know for a fact that physics is the same thing as engineering... well at least electrical engineering.  I posed the question because of this reason.  Maybe it's the other engineering fields that are screwing with the average.  Like the industrial engineers or computer engineers. 

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 09:05:56 AM »
I would argue that the computer engineering wouldn't screw with it... Guy I dated in college (freakin' brilliant; he'd have killed the LSAT. Granted, his PhD is in human-computer interactions, and he's not a professor, so, uh... yeah. He did lots of reading.) But only because, at least where he went, the computer engineering degree was essentially a double major between EE and CSci.

You could make the same argument with the difference in averages between the political science and government majors. Essentially the same thing.

There's very little difference between the averages -- the majority of them are within the same score band.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 09:10:46 AM »
I would argue that the computer engineering wouldn't screw with it... Guy I dated in college (freakin' brilliant; he'd have killed the LSAT. Granted, his PhD is in human-computer interactions, and he's not a professor, so, uh... yeah. He did lots of reading.) But only because, at least where he went, the computer engineering degree was essentially a double major between EE and CSci.

You could make the same argument with the difference in averages between the political science and government majors. Essentially the same thing.

There's very little difference between the averages -- the majority of them are within the same score band.

There are brilliant people with Phd's that fail miserably on the LSAT.  I think there is a thread about this.  Until he takes the LSAT and does really well, it cannot be used as evidence.  

I have a degree in electrical engineering and I know for a fact that we don't do a lot of reading in our major compared to the liberal arts.  I was not a professor I was a supplemental instructor for a professor.  By saying that I hoped to convey how intimate I am with the material that encompasses math and physics.  That is all.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »
And I know for a fact that business majors and econ majors have a lot of overlap as well.  One possible solution to this paradox is that theoretical majors (econ, physics, math) attract a different type of thinker/student than do vocational/practical majors (business, marketing, engineering), and that these students perform better on the LSAT.

YES, this is more than likely a large contributor to the difference.  At least at my school there were more people that spoke english as their first language in math/physics as opposed to engineering.  That might be a factor as well.

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 09:19:45 AM »
I think we're miscommunicating here. :) I also realized that I typoed -- he's NOW a professor, not NOT a professor. So.. he did lots of reading because his area of interest also had a lot of psychology in it.

But no, it's not the same type or the same sort of reading that people in the liberal arts do. I do think that being someone who reads for pleasure can help a lot too. Consistent reading keeps your skills sharp.

I think Brave is maybe onto something, too. There's different types of thinkers and it depends on what you're drawn too. Goodness knows I think econ is fascinating, but I never thought of majoring in it...

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 09:26:43 AM »
I think we're miscommunicating here. :) I also realized that I typoed -- he's NOW a professor, not NOT a professor. So.. he did lots of reading because his area of interest also had a lot of psychology in it.

But no, it's not the same type or the same sort of reading that people in the liberal arts do. I do think that being someone who reads for pleasure can help a lot too. Consistent reading keeps your skills sharp.

I think Brave is maybe onto something, too. There's different types of thinkers and it depends on what you're drawn too. Goodness knows I think econ is fascinating, but I never thought of majoring in it...

Damn engineering.. these -10's on reading comp are killing me..lol