Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152266 times)

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #1020 on: November 18, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am not applying this cycle but next. For start in Fall 2010. I am looking at schools near me as i have two little ones and wife cannot up and leave work. I am in southern California.  I had applied to UCLA law fellows program but got a No this last weekend on that.. sucks...

I am planing to take LSAT in Feb.. I have postponed it twice and really need to take it soon. I know my score is not goign to be the best as i am only right at avg on prep ones i have taken. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Any specific reason why you want to take Feb?  I know you've put it off a few times, but there is Nothing wrong with putting it off until you seriously feel prepared.  Since you obviously have life commitments, I'd recommend taking it in June and just spend more time between now and then preparing.  If you bomb, you'll have September.  An ideal schedule is to take it inJune, and then spend the summer getting your apps together for submission in early fall. 

Is there anything in particular you are trying to do with your law degree? 

There are tons of schools in the SoCal area:
UCLA
USC
Pepperdine
University of San Diego
Loyola
Southwestern
Chapman
Whittier

femmelawren

• View Profile
    • Lawren
« Reply #1021 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »
Bump for the new cycle...where is everyone applying?

I am applying to T7 + Gtown, UCLA & BU as fallbacks, plus some locals that I don't actually want to go to. Everywhere I've checked allows same-sex partners to live in spousal/family campus housing, which is really helpful if we end up moving across the country.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 05, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
Come to Penn  :)

I have heard that Penn loves the gays!

Is that true?

Yes, very much so. Penn is extremely inclusive and supportive. Aside from having a significant number of out/self-identified LGBT students, I think what's even more impressive is the number of straight allies who are actively involved with Lambda and sincerely concerned with LGBT issues. It's really great. 

We also have an awesome, out dean of students.
UPenn '10

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 12, 2009, 02:20:47 AM »
Okay, question about Penn. I got put on hold, and I'm writing a "why Penn" to supplement my app. One of the things I find really attractive is Penn's overt support for gays, but I'm not very out on the rest of my app. Should I still mention it, or will it seem odd?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 12, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
anyone?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 12, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
Mention it if it's something that appeals to you.  I don't understand why it matters how much you've discussed your sexual orientation in other parts of the application.  If it's part of "why Penn," it seems fair game.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 12, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »
Mention it if it's something that appeals to you.  I don't understand why it matters how much you've discussed your sexual orientation in other parts of the application.  If it's part of "why Penn," it seems fair game.

because I'm neurotic?

you're right, I just read all these threads and articles that say only to be as out as the rest of your application merits... whatever.

Thanks for soothing my crazy, Miss P.
LSN

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 13, 2009, 01:12:34 AM »
Thanks for soothing my crazy, Miss P.

:D  I didn't mean to imply . . .
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dml

• View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »
*bump*

strongly considering attending a catholic-affiliated law school. any thoughts/knowledge/experiences to do with the relationship between that affiliation and my life as a law student?

Live Free or Die!

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1029 on: May 06, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »
*bump*

strongly considering attending a catholic-affiliated law school. any thoughts/knowledge/experiences to do with the relationship between that affiliation and my life as a law student?

What school are you referring to? or what region do you want to go to school in? When it comes to catholic / religious law schools their is a huge range.

Some law school's have active LGBT clubs, such as Loyola, and others may take a more traditional catholic approach to you. (i.e. while your LGBT status is not grounds for disciplinary action ANY sexual activity outside "Traditional Marriage" could be an Honor Code violation.

If you are talking about student life I would say that it won't be as easy as a public university. Your classmates will respect you (for your abilities) and won't harass you but you probably won't become best friends.

LSAC has a great survey of Law Schools and the LGBT climate. Try to find the school your interested in and call the LGBT group and ask around. 

Opps forgot to provide you the link:

http://www.lsac.org/SpecialInterests/lgbt-chart.asp