Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153739 times)

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #980 on: May 10, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
I live in a largish, tolerant city now (Baltimore), but for a number of reasons I haven't had much opportunity to meet other gay people (outside of my boyfriend). Or, more accurately, I haven't met many gay people who I have much in common with other than being gay. I also don't have many gay friends from college, mostly because I went to a tiny school in the middle of nowhere. So, while I'm not exactly going to law school in a gay mecca, it won't take much for me to feel like my social options have improved. Most of my current friends are straight, a bit older than me, and married or engaged, and occasionally it's frustrating not to have friends who can relate to my own experiences a little better. It was a real pleasure just to have some intelligent conversations with other gay people I met at the ASWs I attended, and to be honest that's a non-trivial part of my overall excitement for law school.

So many gays just graduated and a bunch are spending the semester abroad in the fall.  We're going to need you to liven this place up...
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 11, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »
I live in a largish, tolerant city now (Baltimore), but for a number of reasons I haven't had much opportunity to meet other gay people (outside of my boyfriend). Or, more accurately, I haven't met many gay people who I have much in common with other than being gay. I also don't have many gay friends from college, mostly because I went to a tiny school in the middle of nowhere. So, while I'm not exactly going to law school in a gay mecca, it won't take much for me to feel like my social options have improved. Most of my current friends are straight, a bit older than me, and married or engaged, and occasionally it's frustrating not to have friends who can relate to my own experiences a little better. It was a real pleasure just to have some intelligent conversations with other gay people I met at the ASWs I attended, and to be honest that's a non-trivial part of my overall excitement for law school.

So many gays just graduated and a bunch are spending the semester abroad in the fall.  We're going to need you to liven this place up...

A bunch? like 2? :P

Bouzie we are more than capable of livening it up. Esp if I don't make law review - then I will have the time to make livening up Ann Arbor my new hobby.

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 11, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »

Bouzie we are more than capable of livening it up. Esp if I don't make law review - then I will have the time to make livening up Ann Arbor my new hobby.

Oh thank god, I was already cracking under the pressure...
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #983 on: May 11, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »

OK Pearl, your girlfriend isn't the only one who counts, and she doesn't count for double!

1L

whowantslogic

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #984 on: May 15, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
CA legalizes same-sex marriage:  www.eqca.org
SAN FRANCISCO: In an historic decision today, the California Supreme Court ruled that same-gender couples deserve the freedom to marry under California law. The landmark ruling makes California the first state in the nation to give lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people full equality.

In a word, YAY!

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #985 on: May 15, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »
Here's a link to the opinion
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S147999.PDF?tsp=1

SUCH a good opinion for us.  They applied strict scrutiny. WOW.
1L

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
Here's a link to the opinion
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S147999.PDF?tsp=1

SUCH a good opinion for us.  They applied strict scrutiny. WOW.

I don't really know how I feel about this.  I'm completely happy that the ruling was a favorable one but I'm afraid the republicans might decide to use this to start pushing their federal marriage amendment again especially since it's campaign season.

I hate this limbo!

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 15, 2008, 10:04:22 PM »
They aren't going to pull the FMA BS again. Republicans saw right through it last time. And McCain is against it.

The CA ballot initiative is something to be concerned about...

And yes the strict scrutiny was HUGE  ;D It's about time.
Penn Law Class of 2011

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2008, 02:05:48 AM »
But I think the fact that they based the opinion on the fact that California has a marriage equivalent could provide severe backlash in other states considering civil unions or something similar.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #989 on: May 16, 2008, 10:48:02 AM »
There's never politically going to be a good time for these types of decisions.  And,seriously, @#!* 'backlash' we can't plan our lives around the republican agenda.  If we did that, we'd be heterosexuals with penchants for bathroom stalls and 16 year old pages. We'd also have 'leave it to beaver' haircuts.
1L