Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 155028 times)

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #970 on: April 12, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »
Since there are a fair number of Michigan people around here, I just wanted to say that I made it official today, and I'll see y'all next year! That's a kinda rhyme-y sentence, isn't it? Too bad it doesn't scan. Back to celebratory drinkery now.

Yay! Congrats and see ya in the fall! We just had a really awesome addition to the e-board of Outlaws so I think next year is going to be extra awesome  ;) :)

Aristone07

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 13, 2008, 10:00:35 PM »
TD,

My experiences with BC are extremely accepting and open to the LGBT lifestyle.  There is a strong emphasis on open-ness and acceptance of all.  The LGBT group at BC is very strong and the LSA's current president is, in fact, gay.  He's a great guy and he knows what he is doing.  The president from last year was also involved in all sorts of LGBT activities and events.

The undergrad is very cookie-cutter, but the law school is anything but.

Please PM me if you have any questions. 

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 27, 2008, 02:59:59 AM »
I'm not sure if this article has been brought up before on this thread or elsewhere on the site, as the story is pretty dated. But I'm interested in peoples thought about this article. But it doesn't paint W&L as very LGBT friendly, but I could be wrong....

2 gay students attacked at Virginia university
Some say Washington and Lee officials ignoring incidents

ELIZABETH PERRY
Friday, April 13, 2007

I think I might have heard about this in passing sometime last year.  It seems to me that the administration could do more to prevent stuff like this.  Saying "we won't tolerate this" while tolerating it doesn't strike me as an effective way to handle the situation.
I hate this limbo!

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 02, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »
Is anyone really curious to see how law school affects their social life as an LGBT person? Since college I have had very little opportunity to meet other interesting, well educated gay people, especially those in my peer group/age bracket, so I'm definitely excited for that possibility. Also, I wonder whether being a law student makes one more, or less of a "catch." And I'm very interested in seeing how being gay comes into play in regards to networking; I've already seen a little a bit of this just from ASWs, since I've ended up keeping in touch thus far with most of the other gay 0Ls I've met. Anybody else thinking about these things?
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 02, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
Is anyone really curious to see how law school affects their social life as an LGBT person? Since college I have had very little opportunity to meet other interesting, well educated gay people, especially those in my peer group/age bracket, so I'm definitely excited for that possibility. Also, I wonder whether being a law student makes one more, or less of a "catch." And I'm very interested in seeing how being gay comes into play in regards to networking; I've already seen a little a bit of this just from ASWs, since I've ended up keeping in touch thus far with most of the other gay 0Ls I've met. Anybody else thinking about these things?

I'm asking myself the same questions, I just have no idea what the answers are.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: May 03, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »

I'm asking myself the same questions, I just have no idea what the answers are.

Do y'all not live in big cities right now?  I was feeling the same way until I moved from a small city (pop. under 200,000) to Philly about three years ago.  It's been much easier to meet smart gays and lesbians around my age (mid-verging-on-late-20s) since I moved here.

That said, I'm quite sure you'll have no problem finding a large and interesting group of gay people in your respective law schools, not to mention the larger universities and towns/cities you're heading to.  Also, gay networks can be rather helpful; I know plenty of (non-law) people who have gotten jobs purely based on mutual gay friends/acquaintances.  I would imagine this extends to the legal field as well (probably to an even greater degree).

As for whether being a law student makes you more or less of a catch, it depends.  There are plenty of guys out there who are intellect-chasers and would be more than happy to add your impressively-credentialed notch to their bedposts.  On the other hand, as anyone on this board knows, a lot of people hear "law school" or "lawyer" and are instantly turned off.  I think the key if you end up dating someone in law school would be to try and date someone who is just as busy as you are - like a fellow grad student.  That way, you both have similar expectations as to how much quality time you'll be spending together.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 04, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
Hey peeps, thought I'd chime in...

I grew up in a not-welcoming place for LGBT folks, and went to college in a place that was better but nowhere near what I would like. For those of you in similar situations and who are heading to a big city or someplace that isn't super huge but is still super queer (a la Michigan), it is going to be awesome!! Have fun!! I try to look at the bright side of coming from a place that is not as accepting - when you do move somewhere where you finally feel 100% (or at least 90%) welcome and comfortable, you appreciate it a lot! I think some people here from big cities have been a bit bored by the gay scene in Ann Arbor but for me I'm like a kid in the candy store :P

Anyway congrats to you all and I can't wait to meet those of you who are coming to Michigan (If I haven't already).

Oh and if any of you are Michigan summer starters, there will be a few outlaws around this summer and we'll be putting together an informal coffee event or something.

Sarah

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 05, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
I live in a largish, tolerant city now (Baltimore), but for a number of reasons I haven't had much opportunity to meet other gay people (outside of my boyfriend). Or, more accurately, I haven't met many gay people who I have much in common with other than being gay. I also don't have many gay friends from college, mostly because I went to a tiny school in the middle of nowhere. So, while I'm not exactly going to law school in a gay mecca, it won't take much for me to feel like my social options have improved. Most of my current friends are straight, a bit older than me, and married or engaged, and occasionally it's frustrating not to have friends who can relate to my own experiences a little better. It was a real pleasure just to have some intelligent conversations with other gay people I met at the ASWs I attended, and to be honest that's a non-trivial part of my overall excitement for law school.
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

hopefulsplitter

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 07, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »

whowantslogic

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #979 on: May 08, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »
Also, I wonder whether being a law student makes one more, or less of a "catch."
Personally, I only decided to become a lawyer when I couldn't find one to marry.  :P