Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 149674 times)

turtledee

• View Profile
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #960 on: March 30, 2008, 01:39:47 AM »
Hello peeps,

So from my reading it appears you guys don't talk about the law school stuff much anymore, but I hope you don't mind if I put a question out there for the answering:

I'm currently deciding between BC and Northeastern.  I'm moving up to Boston from New York to live with my girlfriend. . . the decision process has been grueling. . . I'm leaning towards BC for the obvious reasons that it has better career prospects and is a better school.  I'm worried about it in terms of being queer though. . . the catholicism and the football pride make my stomach turn.  My question is: do you think that should be enough to alter my decision?  Anyone heard good/bad things about the BC LGBT community? Am I making a huge mistake?  I still have 16 days to decide. . .

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 30, 2008, 02:23:29 AM »
Also on  the subject of law schools, I was leaning back towards Michigan, but Virginia, out of nowhere, offered me 24k/year, compared to Mich's 9k (need based).  So now Virginia's in the lead.  Thoughts on this school from a gay perspective?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

joyce615

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 30, 2008, 06:07:50 AM »
matthew, that's a great offer you have and i'm really jealous! unfortunately i don't know that much about UVA but i have heard fantastic things about michigan's openness to the LGBT community. this attitude also permeates ann arbor so i really think it'll be a great place to live for the next three years. both michigan and UVA are known to be very collegial but i've read that UVA's reputation leans more towards the "fratty-type." i don't know what that means for LGBT folks but maybe someone else will.

since this is my first time dropping by this corner of LSD, i have to jump in on the lost debate. anyone who's seen gia KNOWS juliet >>>>> kate any day. i just had to make that clear. :)

smartyartist

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #963 on: April 02, 2008, 02:21:40 PM »
Hello peeps,

So from my reading it appears you guys don't talk about the law school stuff much anymore, but I hope you don't mind if I put a question out there for the answering:

I'm currently deciding between BC and Northeastern.  I'm moving up to Boston from New York to live with my girlfriend. . . the decision process has been grueling. . . I'm leaning towards BC for the obvious reasons that it has better career prospects and is a better school.  I'm worried about it in terms of being queer though. . . the catholicism and the football pride make my stomach turn.  My question is: do you think that should be enough to alter my decision?  Anyone heard good/bad things about the BC LGBT community? Am I making a huge mistake?  I still have 16 days to decide. . .

TD I went to BC for undergrad. I have to say that while the university itself is not very queer-friendly the student body is far from homophobic. But my experience was at the undergraduate level. I did live on Newton Campus during freshman year of undergrad which is where the law school campus is and have to say I enjoyed it very much. Even if BC isn't the most queer-friendly school the city of Boston is and so you should have no problem. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 05, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »
Re:UVA- I find Charlottesville in general to be pretty unfriendly for LGBTQ folks. When I moved here from SF, a friend of mine who had just done the opposite move asked me if I understood how screamingly undiverse and diversity unfriendly C'ville can be.

Didn't really buy it at the time, but after 6 years, 4 of them at UVA for undergrad, I absolutely get his point. The town has basically two kinds of folks (obviously, there are exceptions)- the rich, white liberals (who will not say or do anything nasty directly, but don't actually know anyone who isn't exactly like them) and the more countrified who will definitely say unpleasant things. I have never heard hate speech used quite so casually and openly as I have here, albeit rarely. The UVA undergrad students tend to be pretty conservative in thought, speech and dress. I have heard people discuss their orientation in class, but I have never seen same sex couples holding hands, hugging, etc. on campus.

Then again, I was born and raised in SF, so everywhere else seems like a totalitarian dictatorship.

I am sure there are other perspectives from current UVA students, so just consider this grist for the mill.

pamar

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 11, 2008, 04:56:01 PM »
Does anyone know if theres a substantial LGBTQ presence at AU-WCL?!

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 11, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
Since there are a fair number of Michigan people around here, I just wanted to say that I made it official today, and I'll see y'all next year! That's a kinda rhyme-y sentence, isn't it? Too bad it doesn't scan. Back to celebratory drinkery now.
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #967 on: April 12, 2008, 01:47:21 AM »
Since there are a fair number of Michigan people around here, I just wanted to say that I made it official today, and I'll see y'all next year! That's a kinda rhyme-y sentence, isn't it? Too bad it doesn't scan. Back to celebratory drinkery now.

Congrats on making a decision!!  I'll see you in the fall! Let me know if you need any info about anything related to moving/ann arbor - that kind of thing... enjoy your celebration :)
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 12, 2008, 05:12:01 AM »

ulf, I just read your LSN.

LLOLz @ "Also, I spent the whole afternoon playing with puppies. Pretty good day."
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:39 AM »
::opens one eye::

::groans::

::goes back to bed::
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD