Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152898 times)

LT10

• ~ be the change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #600 on: September 24, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »
its just that it doesn't really come up in my PS and i don't want to just seem like i am "throwing it in there" for some sort of extra points.  the truth is, i want to go into policy (so you can see how my "affiliation" may play into that), but i can't figure out how to get it into my admin package without just putting it into a diversity statement.  does having a lesbo in class really count as adding diversity?  ;)

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #601 on: September 24, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
its just that it doesn't really come up in my PS and i don't want to just seem like i am "throwing it in there" for some sort of extra points.  the truth is, i want to go into policy (so you can see how my "affiliation" may play into that), but i can't figure out how to get it into my admin package without just putting it into a diversity statement.  does having a lesbo in class really count as adding diversity;)

Hah.  I think it does increase the diversity of view in a section and I think that's hugely important. A lot of people in law school come from pretty similar backgrounds and that can lead to stanant class discussion.  There was a prof. here who attended an outlaws meeting to recruit outlaws into his class because he thought that it would be useful to have an lgbt perspective when they discusses same-sex domestic voilence issues in the course.

Best of luck crafting your personal statement!  I think I spent a ridiculous amount of time expplaining my career change.  Then I got here and realized that about 50% of the class are former teachers!  What a waste of time! ;)
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 24, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »
its just that it doesn't really come up in my PS and i don't want to just seem like i am "throwing it in there" for some sort of extra points.  the truth is, i want to go into policy (so you can see how my "affiliation" may play into that), but i can't figure out how to get it into my admin package without just putting it into a diversity statement.  does having a lesbo in class really count as adding diversity?  ;)

YES!
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:25 PM »
I finally got my list of shools to 10!  Let me know what you think from the LGBT perspective, and whether it's a good range for my 171, 3.77.

Harvard
NYU
Columbia
Chicago (Waiver)
Penn
Michigan
Duke (Waiver)
Georgetown (Waiver)
Vanderbilt
William & Mary (Waiver)

What about putting Stanford on the list?  SLS is a wonderful place to be gay. :)
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 25, 2007, 02:28:31 AM »
I finally got my list of shools to 10!  Let me know what you think from the LGBT perspective, and whether it's a good range for my 171, 3.77.

Harvard
NYU
Columbia
Chicago (Waiver)
Penn
Michigan
Duke (Waiver)
Georgetown (Waiver)
Vanderbilt
William & Mary (Waiver)

What about putting Stanford on the list?  SLS is a wonderful place to be gay. :)

To be honest, I'd love to go to Yale or Stanford, but I don't think I have the slightest chance at those or Harvard.  My thinking also goes along the lines of that if I got into either of those, I'd get into Harvard, and I think I'd choose Harvard/
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 25, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »
What about putting Stanford on the list?  SLS is a wonderful place to be gay.

This true? SLS always struck me as being really fratty/preppy, and kind of conservative. I'd be happy to hear that was a gross misimpression though.
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 25, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »
What about putting Stanford on the list?  SLS is a wonderful place to be gay.

This true? SLS always struck me as being really fratty/preppy, and kind of conservative. I'd be happy to hear that was a gross misimpression though.

Stanford is probably a bit frattier but much less preppy than HY.  We had one Federalist society, but other than that, the school is pretty liberal/progressive, with a slew of civil rights clubs, progressive societies, big liberal political presence, etc.

Our former dean, our dean of students, and our dean of admissions are all lesbians, and several of our famous profs are LGBT.  Our current student co-presidents are both LGBT.  Definitely welcoming.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 25, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
Hmmm...perhaps I will need to further investigate this Stan-ford.
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 01, 2007, 03:38:55 AM »
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out.

I've been conflicted about how or whether to include being gay on the application.  I was going to include it in a diversity statement, if they asked for one.  I was writing my DS, though, and it sort of ot long, and now I like it as a PS better than what I had planned for my PS.  I also like it because it will reduce how much they have to read.

Would anyone be willing to look it over and give me brutal feedback on if and how I should use it?

Thanks!
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #609 on: October 01, 2007, 10:24:18 PM »
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out.

I've been conflicted about how or whether to include being gay on the application.  I was going to include it in a diversity statement, if they asked for one.  I was writing my DS, though, and it sort of ot long, and now I like it as a PS better than what I had planned for my PS.  I also like it because it will reduce how much they have to read.

Would anyone be willing to look it over and give me brutal feedback on if and how I should use it?

Thanks!

Sure.  I'll take a look if you still need some feedback.
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."