Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153209 times)

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #590 on: August 23, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »
Cornell seems to like the homos  ;)

LOL :). I don't know about Cornell though. How many black ppl live in Ithaca? (I think I need to research that...)

Fo' sho!  After all, NYU is my dream school. Let's see if they let me in LOL.

Well according to census 2000, Ithaca is 6.7 percent black, which is actually more than I would have thought, though obviously not stellar. In terms of gay acceptance at T14s, Cornell is one of 2 T14s who's application specifically asked if you're GLBT (Penn was the other). I'm assuming that they'll view it positively!

Only 6.7%?? Yikes!

I will apply to Cornell and U Penn, but I hope U Penn says yes.  I can't do 6.7%!! I need to see some color around me LOL.

LOL! Well it is almost 14 percent Asian too :) I'd assume Cornell law is marginally more black, but I might be wrong about that. Penn obviously would have plenty of diversity, if not in the law school, then in the surrounding neighborhood. Look at NYU and Columbia too!

I will. NYU is my dream school. If I get accepted I get to live close to Lincoln Center.  O gioia!

what are your stats? hopefully you'll get in!

I won't take the LSAT until next June (or September). But I thought I'd try do some early groundwork. I love these message boards!
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 26, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »
My school has an Exodus student organization.

I win. 

Lucky bastard.  I wanted to be cured, but this place is too damn liberal to have one of those.

::fills out transfer app::

docpepper

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 26, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »

LOL :). I don't know about Cornell though. How many black ppl live in Ithaca? (I think I need to research that...)

Well according to census 2000, Ithaca is 6.7 percent black, which is actually more than I would have thought, though obviously not stellar. In terms of gay acceptance at T14s, Cornell is one of 2 T14s who's application specifically asked if you're GLBT (Penn was the other). I'm assuming that they'll view it positively!

Only 6.7%?? Yikes!

I will apply to Cornell and U Penn, but I hope U Penn says yes.  I can't do 6.7%!! I need to see some color around me LOL.

LOL! Well it is almost 14 percent Asian too :) I'd assume Cornell law is marginally more black, but I might be wrong about that. Penn obviously would have plenty of diversity, if not in the law school, then in the surrounding neighborhood. Look at NYU and Columbia too!

I will. NYU is my dream school. If I get accepted I get to live close to Lincoln Center.  O gioia!

Lincoln Center's quite a ways from Greenwich Village, fyi :)

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #593 on: August 27, 2007, 01:36:29 AM »

Only 6.7%?? Yikes!

Lincoln Center's quite a ways from Greenwich Village, fyi :)

Yeah. But Greenwich Village is still closer than Los Angeles LOL :).
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #594 on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »
bump.

Where's everyone applying to?  and how're the lgbt 1Ls doing????????????

(I decided that a return to LSD posting was the best cure for a hangover since there are no Dunkin Donuts in Ann Arbor)
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
I finally got my list of shools to 10!  Let me know what you think from the LGBT perspective, and whether it's a good range for my 171, 3.77.

Harvard
NYU
Columbia
Chicago (Waiver)
Penn
Michigan
Duke (Waiver)
Georgetown (Waiver)
Vanderbilt
William & Mary (Waiver)
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #596 on: September 23, 2007, 09:01:09 PM »
I finally got my list of shools to 10!  Let me know what you think from the LGBT perspective, and whether it's a good range for my 171, 3.77.

Harvard
NYU
Columbia
Chicago (Waiver)
Penn
Michigan
Duke (Waiver)
Georgetown (Waiver)
Vanderbilt
William & Mary (Waiver)

Congrats on narrowing your list!  I wish I had done that....  I visited Michigan, gulc, and vanderbilt last year so here are my random  thoughts:

Michigan- Much cooler than I thought it was before I visited.  Its kind of like cambridge in the middle of the midwest with a lot of football fans... As far as gay stuff goes:  There's only one gay bar and a club thats gay on one night but both are pretty busy.  Also Ann Arbor's the type of place where its not a big deal to see two people of the same gender dancing in staight clubs etc.  The administration is incredibly supportive of the LGBT students at the law school-- and there are A LOT of us.  The outlaws chapter is active and there are a ton of progressive student groups in the law school and on campus in general.

Georgetown- I was tempted to go there but when it came down to it I just couldn't go to a school affiliated with the Catholic church.  I liked the campus a lot but the catholic thing and the slightly worse job prospects led me to UM

Vanderbilt- Blah!  I was expecting to be really impressed when I visited and I was horrified.  Nashville is way too weird/county for me and the gay scene just seemed incredibly small and awkward.

Im telling you, apply to Michigan, you'll be surprised ;)
1L

LT10

• ~ be the change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 23, 2007, 10:48:16 PM »
sorry, just tripped on this thread a minute ago.... i was actually looking for the "i have to take the LSAT this saturday" panick threads, but wanted to stop, say hi and ask a quick question....

...for those of you currently in LS now, did you put down that you were LGBT on your apps? did you write a diversity statement? and does it qualify as a URM thing?  i have been going back and forth for quite sometime about whether or not to disclose this part, and i would love some insights. thanks!!

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 24, 2007, 05:01:20 AM »
Im telling you, apply to Michigan, you'll be surprised

I'm definitely applying to Michigan, though I don't know that my chances of getting in are that good, but I think my current top 3 choices are Harvard, Columbia, and Michigan.

sorry, just tripped on this thread a minute ago.... i was actually looking for the "i have to take the LSAT this saturday" panick threads, but wanted to stop, say hi and ask a quick question....

...for those of you currently in LS now, did you put down that you were LGBT on your apps? did you write a diversity statement? and does it qualify as a URM thing?  i have been going back and forth for quite sometime about whether or not to disclose this part, and i would love some insights. thanks!!

I'm not in law school yet, but this seems to be the collective wisdom:
Certain schools ask on apps, always a good thing to say yes to.
Only put it into statements if you can show how it's affected you or will add diversity to the class, just don't come across as mentioning it for sme kind of URM like bump.
I wouldn't say it''s nearly as big a deal as URM, but it's definitely a plus at some schools.  If you go here: http://lsac.org/lsac/lgbt-frameset.html, the schools with a dot on the far right hand column said yes to the question:Does the law school consider LGBT status as a positive factor in the admission decision?
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #599 on: September 24, 2007, 09:37:54 AM »

I;m of the opinion that its a large part of most pepole's identity so i don't realy understand how it wouldn't 'come up' in a personal statement.  Though, I'd say just to do whatever is comfortable to you and whatever feels right.  I figured the point of admissions is to see if the school wants me there and that they should probably know as much about me as is possible from my application.   If a school was going to accept me but didn't bc I was gay: WONDERFUL, I'm glad I found that out upfront.  Conversely, if a school wasn't going to accept me but did because of some diversity situation thats great too ;)

WOW, I really need to get to con law.  ick!
1L