Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153372 times)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #570 on: August 12, 2007, 12:16:39 PM »
I'm definitely game for a weekend DC trip

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 12, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »
I'm pretending to finish packing, I should probably stop pretending though considering I'm leaving tomorrow at 5am haha

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 12, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »
*resists urge to make "packing" jokes*

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: August 14, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a senior at a UC campus in Southern Cal and a music major (How gay, right?? LOL).  Graduation's next June, but I've decided to work for 1 year--perhaps more  :)--before going to law school. I plan to take the LSAT next September and mail my apps later that fall.

I hope this thread remains active b/c I'll have many questions as time goes by.  NYU Law is my dream school, but unfortunately I can't just bumrush the joint--they have accept me first!  ;D LOL

It would be cool to know where all LGBT 1L's are matriculating this month.

Can I get a headcount?

Peace
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: August 15, 2007, 01:00:53 AM »
Thanks for the response. U of Michigan has always been on my list of schools. And I'm also interested in GULC, GWU, and U of VA.

Why did you choose U of Michigan? Did u come out in your application?
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #575 on: August 15, 2007, 02:04:37 AM »
Thanks for the response. U of Michigan has always been on my list of schools. And I'm also interested in GULC, GWU, and U of VA.

Why did you choose U of Michigan? Did u come out in your application?

I chose Michigan over GULC and GW.   The main reason I chose Michigan was the general feel of the school and the people there.  Every single person I met at the law school was amazing and the correspondence from UM was great.  Its very not stuffy, which is something that really appealed to me and I think that the job opportunities were better.  Overall, I really just felt like Ann Arbor was a really cool academic community and I liked the gay community there. Also I wanted to keep the door to academia open in case that's something that I decide I want to do in the future. 

Yes, I did talk about my orientation in my personal statement; felt it was entiretly relevent to who I am.

good luck.  you're looking into some really fine schools.

Thanks so much for the info. Would you mind elaborating on the discussion of your sexuality in your PS? I'll find this most helpful.

Univ of Michigan Law is awesome...just like its umbrella institution. I wouldn't mind living in Ann Arbor for a few years. Plus, I would like to continue studying voice in law school, and the Music Dept @ U of Mich has some AWESOME voice professors, including my hero George Shirley, the 1st black male superstar @ the Metropolitan Opera.

Ulfrekr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 16, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
I wrote my PS about issues related to my sexual identity, and got a lot of positive feedback, but I think if you're going that route you wanna make damn sure it doesn't come off as cliched. I suspect it's a fairly common topic for LGBT applicants.
Michigan 2011 baby!

LSN

stacy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 17, 2007, 01:46:15 AM »
yeah, i didn't come out in my PS (mine was about my part-time job cooking kosher meals; pretty random but i guess it worked out) but i did check the box asking if i identified as lgbt.  i doubt it made much of a difference either way (one place gave me a "diversity" fee waiver, but they ended up waitlisting me).

i chose UM because it's pretty laid-back, they made it easy for me to do a dual degree (no need to take the gre, and good financial aid), and i liked the idea of going to school somewhere smaller than NY (NYU was the other place i strongly considered).  i really don't have many regrets about it--most of my friends are on the east coast and i miss them a lot, but that's not UM's fault.

there are a ton of UM boosters on this board so you'll get lots of good feedback as you apply. 
JD/MUP Summer starter at Michigan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 17, 2007, 02:59:19 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a senior at a UC campus in Southern Cal and a music major (How gay, right?? LOL).  Graduation's next June, but I've decided to work for 1 year--perhaps more  :)--before going to law school. I plan to take the LSAT next September and mail my apps later that fall.

I hope this thread remains active b/c I'll have many questions as time goes by.  NYU Law is my dream school, but unfortunately I can't just bumrush the joint--they have accept me first!  ;D LOL

Can I get a headcount?

Peace

Welcome, and good luck to you!  Do you know what you're planning to do with your year off?

I will also be a 1L this fall.  I came out in my statement of purpose, but didn't mention it in my regular ps.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: August 17, 2007, 08:18:55 AM »
Hey guys,

Can I get a headcount?

Peace

Welcome, and good luck to you!  Do you know what you're planning to do with your year off?

I will also be a 1L this fall.  I came out in my statement of purpose, but didn't mention it in my regular ps.

I have a job offer with a non-profit org for disadvantaged high-school children in the Midwest.  I won't be making beaucoup bucks, but it's something I really want to do. I also plan to take the LSAT in September, so I can mail my apps later that fall. Oh, and I'll spend a lot of my free time in prayer!! LOL  ;D