Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153000 times)

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #490 on: May 21, 2007, 02:06:57 PM »
I'm always surprised by the male/female queer ratio breakdown. I really have no idea what the statistics are; is it just that there are many more gay men than women?

I've wondered that myself.  I think there are more out gay men than women, but not by nearly this much (I also think a larger number of women fall into the bisexual range, which tends to be less visible).  My guess is some form of self-selection in choosing to go to law school, and specifically choosing establishment-type institutions like Harvard.  My thoroughly unscientific sample of my friends would suggest that on average dykes are more fight-the-system, and gay men are more reform-the-system-from-inside.  Though obviously that's a ridiculously drastic oversimplification.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 21, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
Congrats on the decision Dru!

Thanks!  Have you made any final decisions?

Well, I've sent 2 deposits to Cornell, and Northwestern finally took me off hold and offered me a spot on the Summer Waitlist.

I'm going to hold on to my waitlists at NU, Penn, Mich, and UVA and see if those turn into anything

If not, it looks like Cornell for me - I suppose I can't really complain about anything (except snow)

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2007, 11:56:31 PM »
Hey kids. This probably isn't the right place for this, but I like to talk to my gay DC boys. How's the DC apartment hunting going? I'm having a damned hard time finding cheap apartments that aren't infested w/ roaches according to apartmentratings.com. Where are people looking besides craigslist and washingtoncitypaper? Hook a gal up!

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 24, 2007, 12:45:50 AM »
Hey kids. This probably isn't the right place for this, but I like to talk to my gay DC boys. How's the DC apartment hunting going? I'm having a damned hard time finding cheap apartments that aren't infested w/ roaches according to apartmentratings.com. Where are people looking besides craigslist and washingtoncitypaper? Hook a gal up!
How cheap is cheap? And close to where? American, right? I had a studio for $800 in Glover Park in 2005, so it's probably 900 or 1000 now. I loved the area, but eventually tired of the bus system. I found the building through CL but you could look them up directly: http://www.carillonhouse.com/

Roof deck was unbelievable. You can see every single point in DC, NOVA, and beyond.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 24, 2007, 01:33:37 AM »
Oh, I think I've seen a few listings for Carrilon, looks interesting.

I fully expect to pay at least $1,300 a month, and probably closer to $1,500 when parking's factored in, kates.   :-\
Probably best to aim high to avoid sticker shock, but I'd bet you'll find something for much cheaper. I'd never pay that for a studio unless it had serious luxury amenties.

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 24, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »
Funny you should bring this up.  :P
I just (literally "just"...like 10 minutes ago) found a roommate (through the GULC facebook group).  He owns a condo on Mass. Ave.  Really nice place (hardwood floors, W/D, stainless steel appliances, 2br/ba) in a new building.  And....here's the kicker...he's gonna charge me $925/month + utilities!  I couldn't believe it...studios go for $1600 in that area.

Anyway, my point is...well I really just wanted to gloat ( Tongue....although it's not official yet... ::crosses fingers:: ).  But i also wanted to show that your big find might come from an unexpected source (never considered using facebook in my search).  So, keep it up...there are good places out there.

That is a good deal!  Now I'm jealous.

I've been checking craigslist daily.  I've also looked at www.rent.com and www.apartments.com.  I've actually seen a couple buildings that seem fairly priced on each of those websites.  That apartmentratings.com looks it will keep me busy for the next few days.  Thanks kates!

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 24, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »
Now that I'm thinking about it, does anyone want a roommate in DC?  Or know someone who does? PM me if you are possibly interested in living together.

I've been browsing a lot lately, and would like to keep my rent & utilities around $1200.  In order to do that, I've realized I definitely need a roommate, and cannot live in Foggy Bottom.  I have seen a couple places along Connecticut Ave and Columbia Heights that seem livable.  I just can't bring myself to live in NoVa. 

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 24, 2007, 04:05:47 PM »
I just can't bring myself to live in NoVa. 
It wears off. I lived in four Foggy Bottom-area apartments, then a Glover Park apartment, and moving to VA was a dream. My commute to GW is five minutes and direct (vs. 20 minutes on the bus from Glover Park, or involving transfers to the Red Line (CT ave) or Green Line (CH) that believe me, get seriously old after awhile).

GW's in a very pretty area but there's absolutely no reason to live in Foggy Bottom unless you're a college student. Van Ness and Cleveland Park are fun neighborhoods, but you can get newer buildings, better amenities, lower taxes, voting rights, and a shorter commute across the river.

I dunno, just my two cents. People come to DC pre-programmed to be suspicious of Virginia (myself included... I remember pleading with a friend in college not to move "so far away")... but it just makes more sense. I have much love and nostalgia for my little DC apartments, but I feel like I live in luxury now comparatively.

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 24, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
It wears off. I lived in four Foggy Bottom-area apartments, then a Glover Park apartment, and moving to VA was a dream. My commute to GW is five minutes and direct (vs. 20 minutes on the bus from Glover Park, or involving transfers to the Red Line (CT ave) or Green Line (CH) that believe me, get seriously old after awhile).
[/quote]

If you don't mind sharing, how much do you pay in rent?  The couple times I've browsed, apartments within a 5 minute walk to a metro seem to be about the same price as DC rent.  I feel like the walk needed to get a decent price cancels out the transfers/bus riding. 

GW's in a very pretty area but there's absolutely no reason to live in Foggy Bottom unless you're a college student. Van Ness and Cleveland Park are fun neighborhoods, but you can get newer buildings, better amenities, lower taxes, voting rights, and a shorter commute across the river.

All those things are great, but is there any strong gay community there?  Even if there is no community, how gay friendly is it?  Do you see same-sex couples?  Is there ethnic diversity?  When I visited a friend in Ballston last summer, my impression was no to all.  I would love to know if my impressions are wrong, because I know there are many benefits to DC.

I dunno, just my two cents. People come to DC pre-programmed to be suspicious of Virginia (myself included... I remember pleading with a friend in college not to move "so far away")... but it just makes more sense. I have much love and nostalgia for my little DC apartments, but I feel like I live in luxury now comparatively.

I am not suspicious of NoVa per se, but I don't need much space.  I don't spend time at home, so that isn't as important to me.  I would live in NoVa if the right opportunity came along, but it just seem as interesting a place to live.  I don't know that I am ready to trade the urban community, with all its failings, for a better quality of living per dollar spent. 

I do appreciate your response though!  I spend a lot of my time thinking about this, and writing this email has convinced me to broaden my search to NoVa (not that I will move there.  I can't!  :o :P)

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 24, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
Are you in DC now, dru?

No, I'm in Chicago until August 1st.  I miss this place, even though I'm not leaving for more than 2 months.  Which, if anyone ever wants to come hang out, I'm generally around.