Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152189 times)

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #480 on: May 16, 2007, 02:47:40 PM »
NU rejection came today.  I've been so excited for GW for so long, I've decided to definitely go there.  I withdrew from the Penn and Michigan waitlists, which was slightly painful to do.  But now that it is done, I feel great.

I get to DC in August.  The DC folks should hang out before classes hamper our social lives.

Fabulous!

How many DCers does that make?  Looks like it's time to update your list, Bouzie.

sorry- i totally slacked on the list, I think dru was down for DC anyway, though.

also, congrats on harvard ersatz.  ;D

Dru- Congrats on deciding! ;D
(for the record, Northwestern SUCKSSSSSSSSS!!!!!  no I'm not bitter....)

Hahahah, thanks!  I'm on cloud nine again.  At least you didn't have the *cough* pleasure of being strung along for four months. 

And yeah, I had already been placed on the DC list.  Wiiiiiiiiiiii!

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 16, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »
NU rejection came today.  I've been so excited for GW for so long, I've decided to definitely go there.  I withdrew from the Penn and Michigan waitlists, which was slightly painful to do.  But now that it is done, I feel great.

I get to DC in August.  The DC folks should hang out before classes hamper our social lives.

Fabulous!

How many DCers does that make?  Looks like it's time to update your list, Bouzie.

sorry- i totally slacked on the list, I think dru was down for DC anyway, though.

also, congrats on harvard ersatz.  ;D

Dru- Congrats on deciding! ;D
(for the record, Northwestern SUCKSSSSSSSSS!!!!!  no I'm not bitter....)

Thanks! :)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 16, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »
So! What can anyone tell me about LGBT life at Harvard? I am pretty sure Mike had visited there, so if you are around, I'd really appreciate your comments.

Congrats on Harvard, Ersatz!  Absy (and, to some extent, lyquidmyrrrh) are probably more qualified to talk about the LGBT atmosphere at Harvard, but I'll throw in my two cents.  Harvard seems to be a pretty great place to be gay.  I brought my bf to the admit weekend, and didn't feel awkward at all.  One of the faculty-guided discussions addressed the constitutionality of gay marriage and domestic partnership benefits, and the whole crowd seemed really progressive and pro-gay rights.  The Lambda Law group seems to have a pretty strong presence on campus, and they have a pretty large membership.  And, of course, Boston/Cambridge is a pretty gay-friendly city.  It's not quite as gay at the SF Bay Area, but close.

Good luck on your decision!
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 17, 2007, 01:28:13 AM »
So! What can anyone tell me about LGBT life at Harvard? I am pretty sure Mike had visited there, so if you are around, I'd really appreciate your comments.

Congrats on Harvard, Ersatz!  Absy (and, to some extent, lyquidmyrrrh) are probably more qualified to talk about the LGBT atmosphere at Harvard, but I'll throw in my two cents.  Harvard seems to be a pretty great place to be gay.  I brought my bf to the admit weekend, and didn't feel awkward at all.  One of the faculty-guided discussions addressed the constitutionality of gay marriage and domestic partnership benefits, and the whole crowd seemed really progressive and pro-gay rights.  The Lambda Law group seems to have a pretty strong presence on campus, and they have a pretty large membership.  And, of course, Boston/Cambridge is a pretty gay-friendly city.  It's not quite as gay at the SF Bay Area, but close.

Thanks, Mike - I'm definitely glad to hear you say that. Appreciate your response! Absy / lyquidmyrrh, if you guys are around, I'd love to hear from you as well.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 18, 2007, 09:20:12 PM »
Congrats on the decision Dru!

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »
I basically agree with everything Mike said, and I'm really excited about the directions that next year's co-presidents will take the group.  I'm not really checking LSD much anymore (I started work this week), but feel free to send me an email if you have any specific questions or want to hear personal anecdotes. 

Thanks, Mike - I'm definitely glad to hear you say that. Appreciate your response! Absy / lyquidmyrrh, if you guys are around, I'd love to hear from you as well.

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 21, 2007, 12:30:32 PM »
Congrats on the decision Dru!

Thanks!  Have you made any final decisions?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
Thanks, absy!

I think I may have already asked this - but are there any LGBTers here that are heading to Harvard this fall?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2007, 01:35:52 PM »
I'd pop in to note that Harvard is very socially progressive and pro-gay (even the most right wing people in my section were still very gay friendly, at least outwardly), though the community is definitely bigger on the male end than the female - I only know of 7 queer women in my class, and couldn't count the number of queer men, but I know it's much higher.

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 21, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »
I'd pop in to note that Harvard is very socially progressive and pro-gay (even the most right wing people in my section were still very gay friendly, at least outwardly), though the community is definitely bigger on the male end than the female - I only know of 7 queer women in my class, and couldn't count the number of queer men, but I know it's much higher.

Cool - great to hear.

I'm always surprised by the male/female queer ratio breakdown. I really have no idea what the statistics are; is it just that there are many more gay men than women?