Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 155397 times)

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #470 on: May 10, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »

Thanks, Bouzie!  I'll definitely try to be there for next year's conference.  We can try for an LSD get-together.  The career fair is a good opportunity, but I don't think that you will need it in order to get an interview. UMich students have more than enough job opportunities. :)  It seems like the timing of Lavender Law makes it a bit inconvenient: 1Ls who attend can't give out their resumes yet, but 2Ls will most likely have already gone through OCI by the time the conference rolls around.  Maybe it's geared towards those students who either didn't have much success with OCI or are looking for additional contacts and opportunities?  Nevertheless, it sounds like a lot of fun.

If anyone has seen the Vault list, I'd like to know the methodology.  Very interesting.

I was surprised to see the the first weekend of September as the date.  I'm not sure how keen I will be on attending if it means missing a bunch of school in the first couple weeks.  Still, it has got to be a fun time.  We should convince them to move it to Spring.  Spring is way more fun than Fall. 

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 10, 2007, 06:30:59 PM »

Thanks, Bouzie!  I'll definitely try to be there for next year's conference.  We can try for an LSD get-together.  The career fair is a good opportunity, but I don't think that you will need it in order to get an interview. UMich students have more than enough job opportunities. :)  It seems like the timing of Lavender Law makes it a bit inconvenient: 1Ls who attend can't give out their resumes yet, but 2Ls will most likely have already gone through OCI by the time the conference rolls around.  Maybe it's geared towards those students who either didn't have much success with OCI or are looking for additional contacts and opportunities?  Nevertheless, it sounds like a lot of fun.

If anyone has seen the Vault list, I'd like to know the methodology.  Very interesting.

I was surprised to see the the first weekend of September as the date.  I'm not sure how keen I will be on attending if it means missing a bunch of school in the first couple weeks.  Still, it has got to be a fun time.  We should convince them to move it to Spring.  Spring is way more fun than Fall. 

Dru-  do you know if 1Ls are able to participate?  I can't imagine employers would be too interested in us with our 13 days of law school experience.  The website seems to offer more info for employers than students.

I cannot imagine they would deny a student entry.  I would contact Outlaws or Dean Z. and see the feasibility of getting in with the other Michigan folks.  They would know best.  The only catch is the whole Dec 1st restriction on 1L job searches.  So you couldn't submit resumes maybe, but could network?  I'm not sure. 

Still, very few firms hire 1Ls for summer.  nalpdirecotry.com has a search function on who hires 1ls.  More than anything else, it would be a good time to network and lay the groundwork for the winter job search.  If you are interested in the firm life and can connect with a partner before the job search, it will go a long way.  Set up a couple lunches or phone interviews, contact them again shortly before OCI so they can leave encouraging words on your resume.  Even if you want to go public interest, I would guess the attorneys attending the conference have a strong network of friends. 

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
I went to LavLaw the past two years, and it's a fun time.  My 1L year it was in late October, so there wasn't the same concern about 1Ls going at the beginning of the year.  As for 1Ls talking with employers, it varies from school to school about how they interpret the restriction.  Some schools forbid their 1Ls from going to the job fair portion.  I went to get information and just couldn't give out resumes.  I've networked with several attorneys I've stayed in touch with.

As for 2L year, HLS does OCI late, so it comes before our interviews.  A lot of the firms are more focused on giving out information, but they do give some callbacks from the job fair. 

The rest of the conference is great too.  My 1L year it was in San Diego, and I think it snowed in Boston while I was gone.  I was poolside with a margarita.

I know that this past year, our dean of students wouldn't let us take 1Ls because it was the first weekend of classes.  Well, they wouldn't pay for 1Ls to go; I'm sure they could have gone on their own.  The date move was a good idea for the 2Ls who are looking to get something out of the job fair.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 11, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
Thanks, Absy!  BTW, it was nice meeting you at the HLS student fair back in March!  Were you able to sign up for the LGBT mailing list?
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 11, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »
Absy- Thanks !

I third!  Out of curiousity, Absy, what are you doing this summer?

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
It was nice meeting you as well.  And thanks for the information.  I signed up for the list, and I'm going to the event on Wednesday.  Maybe I'll see you around this summer.

I'll be working for Heller Ehrman in SF, then heading back to LeBoeuf Lamb in NY (firm from last summer).  But the thing I love talking about is that I'm taking next year off to travel.  I'm really looking forward to the next year or so.

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »
It was nice meeting you as well.  And thanks for the information.  I signed up for the list, and I'm going to the event on Wednesday.  Maybe I'll see you around this summer.

I'll be working for Heller Ehrman in SF, then heading back to LeBoeuf Lamb in NY (firm from last summer).  But the thing I love talking about is that I'm taking next year off to travel.  I'm really looking forward to the next year or so.

Nice!  Travel is the best. 

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 16, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
NU rejection came today.  I've been so excited for GW for so long, I've decided to definitely go there.  I withdrew from the Penn and Michigan waitlists, which was slightly painful to do.  But now that it is done, I feel great.

I get to DC in August.  The DC folks should hang out before classes hamper our social lives.

rsieg10

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 16, 2007, 01:22:27 PM »
Any LGBT-ers heading to St. Louis?  Anyone, anyone?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 16, 2007, 01:59:36 PM »
So! What can anyone tell me about LGBT life at Harvard? I am pretty sure Mike had visited there, so if you are around, I'd really appreciate your comments.