Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153179 times)

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #460 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:38 PM »
anyone know how gay friendly pace or cuny are?

They're in downstate NY; Im sure youll be fineeeeeeeee ;)

Ok now the post makes sense.  :)

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #461 on: May 09, 2007, 11:06:26 PM »
anyone know how gay friendly pace or cuny are?

They're in downstate NY; Im sure youll be fineeeeeeeee ;)

Ok now the post makes sense.  :)

Point well-taken ;)

ALSO im thinking that we all need to go to the lgbt law career fair thing before our 2L --- I forget who its affiliated with--- I know that the conference in Chicago this year and that MoFo was recruiting there.   

We could put aside our Michigan/DC/Penn/other school differences and unite and become a gigantic group of the homosexualelite ;)

OMG just knowing the people at Mich I know that would be one hell of a conference! I'm in.

PS Bouzie if Penn were to call you tomorrow would you still give it the slightest consideration?

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #462 on: May 09, 2007, 11:14:16 PM »
No info, just wondering since there is some WL movement around a bunch of schools. I could hand deliver your LOCI on Monday when I visit. I'll be apt searching, sooooo excited!

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #463 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:20 PM »
No info, just wondering since there is some WL movement around a bunch of schools. I could hand deliver your LOCI on Monday when I visit. I'll be apt searching, sooooo excited!

awwww thanks, I dont think my interest is continued though.  If I put SA through anymore indecision drama she may actually murder me:  I hope you've all learned a lesson and never sign a lease with me.

I was in philly last week and likey the city a lot, which is saying a lot since I previously thought that I hated it-- turns out I just wasnt giving it a chance.  Good luck finding and apt- are you living alone or with roomies???

Latifah-- MoFo = Morrison Foerreser--- a very lgbt friendly biglaw firm in SF.

SA stressed? That I would love to see. I have two roomies both gals, I'm quite excited. I think you should draft the letter just to see, besides Philly is the city of Brotherly Love how more gay can you get?

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #464 on: May 09, 2007, 11:29:19 PM »

awwww thanks, I dont think my interest is continued though.  If I put SA through anymore indecision drama she may actually murder me:  I hope you've all learned a lesson and never sign a lease with me.

I was in philly last week and likey the city a lot, which is saying a lot since I previously thought that I hated it-- turns out I just wasnt giving it a chance.  Good luck finding and apt- are you living alone or with roomies???

SA stressed? That I would love to see. I have two roomies both gals, I'm quite excited. I think you should draft the letter just to see, besides Philly is the city of Brotherly Love how more gay can you get?

michigan!  though I remember being really impressed by Penn's Outlaws site.  Still though I think ann arbor must win out in gays per capita

also, how cool are we, both rooming with two girls?  Im so ridiculously excited about my living situation.   

I know I'm too ridiculously excited about it. Ummm I think Penn wins the per capita (~7/240, that I know of) and Mich wins the total (?/370).

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #465 on: May 09, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »

michigan!  though I remember being really impressed by Penn's Outlaws site.  Still though I think ann arbor must win out in gays per capita

also, how cool are we, both rooming with two girls?  Im so ridiculously excited about my living situation.   

I know I'm too ridiculously excited about it. Ummm I think Penn wins the per capita (~7/240, that I know of) and Mich wins the total (?/370).

Clearly we need to have Michigan-Penn gay mixers if you guys are willing to slum it with the public school kids.  Power couples in the making,,,

(i have a feeling that our 1L class could beat you out per capita.  I guess we'll see in a few months!)

Since I am from the ONLY real Public Ivy Cornell (got that posers *cough*UVA*cough*), I am completely down with that. We should start organizing it.

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #466 on: May 10, 2007, 01:54:36 AM »

awwww thanks, I dont think my interest is continued though.  If I put SA through anymore indecision drama she may will actually put me through the most painful torture imaginable and then murder me:  I hope you've all learned a lesson and never sign a lease with me.

Corrected  :P

I keed! I keed!

Sarah!!! I miss you.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »
MoFo = Morrison Foerreser--- a very lgbt friendly biglaw firm in SF.

Is there a list of LGBT-friendly law firms?  I've heard that Orrick is too, but I'm wondering what other LGBT-friendly law firms are out there.  Also, I don't think Orrick recruits at Lavender Law.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 10, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »
I've looked casually a few times before, but never came up with anything substantive.  I have the impression at firms it is much more about who you work with rather than the firm as a whole that truly defines the experience.  For what it is worth, here are the firms recruiting at Lavender Law this fall.

http://www.lavenderlaw.org/career.fair.html

While this is a good indicator of which firms are gay friendly, there are big differences out there.  I work at one of the firms listed.  While the climate is generally supportive here, they do not go above and beyond to make the LGBT attorneys (and definitely not staff) feel especially welcome.  At the same time, I've heard K&E does either annual or quarterly meetings for the LGBT attorneys, and will fly them to a different location each time for networking/mentoring/socializing.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 10, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »
MoFo = Morrison Foerreser--- a very lgbt friendly biglaw firm in SF.

Is there a list of LGBT-friendly law firms?  I've heard that Orrick is too, but I'm wondering what other LGBT-friendly law firms are out there.  Also, I don't think Orrick recruits at Lavender Law.

Mike-- Vault does a top 20 or top 50 ranking.  Havent heard anything about how reliable it is but at least its a good starting point. 

Hope to meet you at Lavender next year!  Sounds like a good networking opportunity if nothing else. I wonder how many people get call backs/offers from firms at lavender

Thanks, Bouzie!  I'll definitely try to be there for next year's conference.  We can try for an LSD get-together.  The career fair is a good opportunity, but I don't think that you will need it in order to get an interview. UMich students have more than enough job opportunities. :)  It seems like the timing of Lavender Law makes it a bit inconvenient: 1Ls who attend can't give out their resumes yet, but 2Ls will most likely have already gone through OCI by the time the conference rolls around.  Maybe it's geared towards those students who either didn't have much success with OCI or are looking for additional contacts and opportunities?  Nevertheless, it sounds like a lot of fun.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!