Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152176 times)

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #440 on: April 24, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »
Yay!  ;D

Bakc home they're debating civil unions but the chair of the judiciary in the senate is an a**hole and it doesnt seem likely to pass right now.  :-[
My home too (Rhode Island) is in a similar situation. The legislature just can't get the bills past the speaker. In the meantime, we're kind of there -- you can get married in Mass and have it recognized in RI. No other state can do that. It sometimes feels like that means more progress and sometimes feels like less progress than civil union states. Most of the time, less progress, since RI hasn't really done anything... we're just one of the states with gender-neutral terms codified in old laws.

While it may be an accident, that is a very fortunate one.  I really wish the midwest would get its act together and start making headway on this front.  Does anyone have a sense of where ENDA is right now with the new congress?

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #441 on: April 24, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »
Yay!  ;D

Bakc home they're debating civil unions but the chair of the judiciary in the senate is an a**hole and it doesnt seem likely to pass right now.  :-[
My home too (Rhode Island) is in a similar situation. The legislature just can't get the bills past the speaker. In the meantime, we're kind of there -- you can get married in Mass and have it recognized in RI. No other state can do that. It sometimes feels like that means more progress and sometimes feels like less progress than civil union states. Most of the time, less progress, since RI hasn't really done anything... we're just one of the states with gender-neutral terms codified in old laws.

While it may be an accident, that is a very fortunate one.  I really wish the midwest would get its act together and start making headway on this front.  Does anyone have a sense of where ENDA is right now with the new congress?

It has not been reintroduced since the 108th Congress under that name, although apparently it was reintroduced in '04 for the 109th but I couldn't find it on THOMAS (Lib of Congress). Not introduced in 110th yet.

And the bastard just introduced the gay marriage ban constitutional amendment bill.  :-\ Seems the newspaper is critical and many civil rights group mobilized in a matter of minutes.
http://www.endi.com/noticia/politica/noticias/presentan_controvertible_medida/202467 (its in spanish)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 24, 2007, 05:08:41 PM »

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 25, 2007, 12:56:16 PM »

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #444 on: April 26, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »
NH Senate passed the civil unions today! The Gov. already said he would sign it.  :)

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-NY-Civil-Unions.html?hp

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 26, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »
NH Senate passed the civil unions today! The Gov. already said he would sign it.  :)

It doesn't even make CNN.com, chicagotribune.com, latimes.com, or sfgate.com.  nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com, and foxnews.com carry it on the front page.  I can't tell if that is good or bad.  On the one hand, it clearly lacks a shock factor.  Still, it is the first (I think) instance of legislation passing without a court considering/deciding a case on SSM.    It should be all over the place.  I like what state Sen. Joe Foster had to say: "We do so today because it is the right thing to do."  That's refreshing. 

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 26, 2007, 05:25:23 PM »

It doesn't even make CNN.com, chicagotribune.com, latimes.com, or sfgate.com.  nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com, and foxnews.com carry it on the front page.  I can't tell if that is good or bad.  On the one hand, it clearly lacks a shock factor.  Still, it is the first (I think) instance of legislation passing without a court considering/deciding a case on SSM.    It should be all over the place.  I like what state Sen. Joe Foster had to say: "We do so today because it is the right thing to do."  That's refreshing. 

Im not sure its a bad thing, It's kinda nice that this isnt as controversial as it once was- remember the vermont brouhaha?????-

This leaves Maine as the only new england state without recognition of same-sex relationships.  Things have been going steadidly downhill up there since they separated from Mass in 1820.

No, I'm definitely glad to see that there isn't a lot of negative/blacklash press.  But at the same time, I would like for the average resident outside the NE to know that attempts to get same-sex relationship recognition is alive and successful. Just wishful thinking I suppose.  Or maybe I just like a good excuse to celebrate.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 26, 2007, 10:08:40 PM »
This leaves Maine as the only new england state without recognition of same-sex relationships.  Things have been going steadidly downhill up there since they separated from Mass in 1820.
Not true -- Maine recognizes domestic partnerships. Limited, but "without recognition" isn't accurate.

stillbluewolverine

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 27, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »
Add one more to the "Going to Michigan" list.
Michigan Law 2010...I can't escape the color blue.

topher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #449 on: April 27, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »
MP:  Awww.  Sorry bout that!  You and Maroonberry will have to have a drink to honor our memory.  And I'm sure that we'll be in Chicago sometime soon.  We LOVE the city.  You will too, I'm sure.  I think that the Lavender Conference is there this fall, and I bet that we'll come.  So, we'll have to hook up then.  Heh.  I said hook up.