Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 149781 times)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2007, 09:44:11 PM »
We have about 80 students on our listserv, and I'd say about 30 who generally will come to events.  (I'm really bad at estimating though.)  For women, we only really had about 4 or 5 in the 2L and 3L class, but there are 6 or so in the 1L class and there seem to be a number of admits.  The L/G gender gap is something the admissions office is keeping an eye on now.

I just feel like there are so many benefits to being gay at HLS.  You combine the advantages of having a large student body with the closeness of a smaller community.  Several firms are specifically interested in recruiting LGBT Harvard students.  Our regular mixers give us a chance to build friendships among other grad schools.  And now that Lambda is extremely well funded, we get to do a lot of fun stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tour guide's comment.  I've actually felt like law as a field was kind of an old boy's club, but being at HLS meant that you were automatically an old boy/girl.  Does that make sense?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 16, 2007, 12:52:55 AM »
A slightly tangential plug from Stanford: next year's SLS student body co-presidents are both gay, and one is a black lesbian.  I didn't know this, but apparently, quite a number of the women in the Stanford Law administration are also LGBT.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
So I'm a late blooming LSD person and wanted to drop in to say hello.  Anyone considering GW or NU at this point? 

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »
I remembered I wanted to do a post on a few thoughts I've had today while reading all 38 pages of posts.  This is more for future applicants who are beginning to troll these boards than anything else, but maybe fodder for discussion.

Is this school right for me?:  Write to the student reps for the LGBT group on campus, and then visit.  Someone else mentioned this, but it worked well for me and is worth repeating. 

LGBT @ Northwestern & Chicago:  Neither school has a particularly great LGBT presence on campus, though I would say they are at least average and within supportive environments.  Both websites are woefully out of date, but I've known queer students at both schools, and they've generally been content to happy at the schools.

The beauty of Northwestern is the ease of commute from Boystown to the campus.  There is a bus that runs right through the neighborhood and drops off right at the campus, a 20 minute commute.  The area is less expensive than downtown living, so it makes a great place to live as well as socialize.  I saw one person comment on Boystown not being as exciting as expected.  My only suggestion would be to give it more time and find someone who knows the area well. 

I personally love Andersonville, which is 30 minutes north of the campus and has traditionally been the lesbian neighborhood (though it is slowly being taken over by gay men - sorry!).  If I am lucky enough to be accepted at Northwestern, I will probably stay in Andersonville, because it is a much more relaxed neighborhood and not intensely young, gay and male.  So even if NU isn't the best school for a self-contained LGBT community, it is so close to two of the best gay neighborhoods in the US.  Also, I see getting the NU queer community's act together as a positive, which is part of the draw for me.

UofC's downside is it is in Hyde Park, which is so far south as to almost being prohibitive if you want to go out on a weekend night.  There are two alternatives: a) spend $30+ on a cab home or b) live north and commute to school.  Other than that, I don't know much about Chicago, as I got rejected before I really started investigating the school.   :-\

LGBT @ GW: The community at GW seems very active, but it was all anecdotal.  Unfortunately, they had nothing official planned for the ASW.  I contacted a couple students there beforehand and all they said was, "We will be at the student org event."  They did mention, however, that next year they will be getting some recruitment materials together as students apply/accept, so that they can be more proactive.  This I view as a very positive sign.

Coming out on your application: I did it, with a passion.  I wrote a gay and Catholic PS, and spoke about how my coming out affected both my poor early academic performance, interest in public service, and building my identity.  It worked for my situation and my experience.  I think that is the general theme regarding this issue.

-------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps some!  Clearly, I need more responsibility at work. 

LetsGetEm

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 18, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
Hey all! I'm going to be starting in the fall at either Michigan, UCLA, or Columbia (wait-listed--but fingers crossed). Anyone here likely to be at one of those schools?

I Decided against Duke, Georgetown, GWU, USC, and a bunch more. Chicago and Boalt decided against me.

W/L @:Columbia (fingers crossed)
In and Considering:UCLA and Michigan
Broke it Off with: Duke, Gtown, USC, GWU...(the list goes on...there's only one of me and not enough to go around)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ilippe3515

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 18, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »
Hey all! I'm going to be starting in the fall at either Michigan, UCLA, or Columbia (wait-listed--but fingers crossed). Anyone here likely to be at one of those schools?

I Decided against Duke, Georgetown, GWU, USC, and a bunch more. Chicago and Boalt decided against me.

OMG! COME TO MICHIGAN!!! Did you visit? Outlaws kicks ass there. Plus at least a few LGBT LSDers will be there this fall. :)

yeh, basically every gay person on here that didnt get into HYS (ahem- Mike) is going to michigan, and for good reason: Its amazing.  Come with us ;)

I have to agree, it is amazing.  And not only are the Outlaws wonderful, so is the rest of the graduate student population.  I visited a pysch phd friend there, who introduced me to lawyers, doctors, psychs, mbas, and communications people.  Everyone was wonderful, and though I love Chicago/NYC/DC/SF, AA was just as fun as any other experience I've had with the gays. Oh, I guess Michigan is a pretty good school too.

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #396 on: April 18, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »

OMG! COME TO MICHIGAN!!! Did you visit? Outlaws kicks ass there. Plus at least a few LGBT LSDers will be there this fall. :)

yeh, basically every gay person on here that didnt get into HYS (ahem- Mike) is going to michigan, and for good reason: Its amazing.  Come with us ;)

Hey what am i, chopped liver? Besides you know that if you get into Penn you'll be there.  :)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40:14 PM »

I feel marginalized!

::prays for a Michigan WL call::

drujoe

• GW Law 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 18, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »

I have to agree, it is amazing.  And not only are the Outlaws wonderful, so is the rest of the graduate student population.  I visited a pysch phd friend there, who introduced me to lawyers, doctors, psychs, mbas, and communications people.  Everyone was wonderful, and though I love Chicago/NYC/DC/SF, AA was just as fun as any other experience I've had with the gays. Oh, I guess Michigan is a pretty good school too.

Does that mean you'll be coming in with us if/when you get in off the WL??? ;)

It depends on what day you ask me.  I'll be stoked at GW, NU, Michigan or Penn.  I can't lose here.  Penn is the best program for me, but NU/Michigan would be way more fun.  I wish DC weren't so damn expensive.

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 18, 2007, 11:03:55 PM »
Washington  :)
Woot woot! :D Hey Sax, let's jabber on and on about how cool DC is and how all the gay people who didn't get into HYS are going to DC. Yeah.