Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 149868 times)

moglidabear

• View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #380 on: April 14, 2007, 01:20:43 PM »
resident HLS troll reporting.  any specifics you'd like to hear about?

hey there...

just wondering what life is like for lgbt students at harvard...
whether its a friendly environment, whether folks date, etc etc.

the other school that i am considering is yale, and while it is extremely lgbt-friendly, as a single dyke i'd probably be on a 3-year vow of celibacy. (went their for undergrad, so take my word for it.. the well is dry.)
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)
Waiting to hear back from: Penn.. supposedly lost my application!

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 14, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »
I assume you're asking if, among LGBT students, it's a friendly environment.  (If you're asking if it's an LGBT-friendly environment then HLS, Cambridge, and Massachusetts are all extremely LGBT-friendly.  I can give specifics if you'd like.)  We have both enough students total and a high enough percentage in order to have a vibrant LGBT community.  Some people decide to get involved in Lambda and others decide not to, but people are by and large quite friendly.  Judging from the first admit weekend, there are some great people coming in next year as well.

We do a tremendous number of events both politically/educationally and socially.  You can see info on that here: http://hlslambda.com/events.htm.  The incoming co-presidents have some great ideas, and I think things will only get better in that regard.

If you had asked me the dating question a year or so ago, you'd get a different answer.  But we've worked with the admissions office on this cycle and last cycle, and and we have a growing number of women.  We've also been stepping up mixer events with other grad schools.  Two of our female officers entered relationships this year.  If you PM me, I'll put you in touch with one of them (since their perspective is much more apt than mine).

I really believe that, more than just being accepted and stuff, being gay has enriched my experience at HLS. 

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 14, 2007, 07:37:21 PM »
There is another girl in here? It's about freaking time, the boys are driving me nuts... sorry boys

:D ;D ;) 8)

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 14, 2007, 10:05:25 PM »
Hello Everyone:

I know I should probably start a new thread for this question, but I figured you all were in here anyway, and I really want the opinions of individuals who have already applied.  So I'm a gay male that has been married for 5 years (and together with my partner for 7), living a happy life in the Chicago suburbs.  Both of my top choice schools (UChicago and NW) have listed being LGBT as a "positive admissions factor" on the LSAC website.  So here's my question:

I've completed pretty much my entire undergrad education while working full time (and I mean a real corporate job, 50+ hours per week plus 1.5 hours of commuting per day).  I've attended 16 semester hours for 6 semesters straight.  I'm not really that old (24 and graduating in a few months)--it's just what has worked best for me.  That being said, as one might imagine I haven't participated in any real "extra curriculars."  Time simply does not permit.  I have tutored for many years and still do, so I will mention that, and I have had offers for Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Theta Kappa (I got an AA first) but didn't join, but I was considering mentioning the offers anyway.  At any rate, I have no affiliations/associations that are "gay" related except for a short time I spent in a gay frat called Alpha Lambda Tau in my freshman year at ASU. 

So how did y'all bring your orientation into your application?  Personal statement?  If so, were you able to touch on it in a significant way if you didn't belong to any "gay" clubs/societies, etc.?  I figured the adcomms could get testy if the PS seemed to hammy (i.e. a shameless and overtly ostentatious gay drama centering on my personal plight and how it's a miracle I have survived such a prejudiced society). 

Any assistance would be unbelievably appreciated.

Thanks,

Secant
"I don't care if you think I'm a racist, so long as you think I'm thin." -- Kathy Griffen

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Tesseract314

GPA: 3.95
LSAT: Jun 07=One-sixtycrap

Applying to: UChi,NW,HLS,UCal-B,Penn,BU,BC,UMinn,GULC,GW,G.Mas.,Loyola,Chi-Ken,DePaul

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
I also worked full-time during undergrad and thought that was more relevant than being gay. For schools that encouraged or offered the opportunity to write a "diversity statement" in addition to the personal statement, I did talk about being gay. Otherwise, there just wasn't enough space.

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:20 PM »
Hi Secant,

I guess it depends on your individual experience. I never got involved with LGBT issues before so I did not come out on the app for most schools. It was part of my Boalt essay and I did check the boxes for Penn and Cornell but I thought I had to focus on other stuff in my DS. I did write my Yale 250 about it, but alas I have not heard back yet. lol.

mohnblume

• View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mohnblume
« Reply #386 on: April 14, 2007, 11:41:14 PM »
one more lurking dyke checking in....

I did not come out in my applications because I did not feel it was relevant for me to do so. If I had been involved in gay advocacy, clubs, etc., I would have found a way to weave it into my personal statement. Since I have very limited extra curriculars, I focused more on my job experience (worked my way through my undergrad as a legal assistant), as well as my life experiences.

Hope this helps a bit.

~perse

Secant Tangent Cosine Sine 3.14159

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Do you know what happens to a toad..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2007, 11:48:36 AM »
Thanks all for your comments!  :)  :P
"I don't care if you think I'm a racist, so long as you think I'm thin." -- Kathy Griffen

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Tesseract314

GPA: 3.95
LSAT: Jun 07=One-sixtycrap

Applying to: UChi,NW,HLS,UCal-B,Penn,BU,BC,UMinn,GULC,GW,G.Mas.,Loyola,Chi-Ken,DePaul

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2007, 02:37:17 PM »

There is another girl in here? It's about freaking time, the boys are driving me nuts... sorry boys
[/quote]

alas, haven't been on here very long, but its nice to meet you!
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »
I assume you're asking if, among LGBT students, it's a friendly environment.  (If you're asking if it's an LGBT-friendly environment then HLS, Cambridge, and Massachusetts are all extremely LGBT-friendly.  I can give specifics if you'd like.)  We have both enough students total and a high enough percentage in order to have a vibrant LGBT community.  Some people decide to get involved in Lambda and others decide not to, but people are by and large quite friendly.  Judging from the first admit weekend, there are some great people coming in next year as well.

We do a tremendous number of events both politically/educationally and socially.  You can see info on that here: http://hlslambda.com/events.htm.  The incoming co-presidents have some great ideas, and I think things will only get better in that regard.

If you had asked me the dating question a year or so ago, you'd get a different answer.  But we've worked with the admissions office on this cycle and last cycle, and and we have a growing number of women.  We've also been stepping up mixer events with other grad schools.  Two of our female officers entered relationships this year.  If you PM me, I'll put you in touch with one of them (since their perspective is much more apt than mine).

I really believe that, more than just being accepted and stuff, being gay has enriched my experience at HLS. 

thanks for being so thorough in your response! two follow questions..
first, what kind of numbers does harvard have when it comes to lgbt students, at specifically women?
secondly, can you elaborate on this statement:
"I really believe that, more than just being accepted and stuff, being gay has enriched my experience at HLS. "

i ask mostly because it was really encouraging.
the idea of taking on Harvard as a triple minority (queer. black. woman.) sort of terrifies me. probably doesn't help that my straight caucasian tour guide spoke glowingly about nepotism at harvard and harvard being an old boys club... (helped him get a job, apparently.)