Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 149986 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2006, 11:33:54 PM »
If any of you who want to be active in LGBT stuff on campus end up seriously considering Northwestern, track me down because I have a friend with whom you may want to speak.  Nothing disastrous, but I don't think he was very happy with the queer population there.  Also, there's mobo from last cycle if you can find her. :)
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2006, 12:38:56 PM »
If any of you who want to be active in LGBT stuff on campus end up seriously considering Northwestern, track me down because I have a friend with whom you may want to speak.  Nothing disastrous, but I don't think he was very happy with the queer population there.  Also, there's mobo from last cycle if you can find her. :)

Wow, anything in particular you can share with us here about Northwestern?  I have heard their LGBT population is very small, but not much else.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2006, 02:30:35 PM »

Wow, anything in particular you can share with us here about Northwestern?  I have heard their LGBT population is very small, but not much else.

I was being melodramatic, I think!  Forgive me.  Mostly, I've heard that it's a very small and not particularly tightknit community; I think it's getting better.  Mobo, who started there this year but isn't to be around LSD these days, seems quite happy.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

degrassi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
I've been waiting for a Northeastern fee waiver for weeks, and today i finally got one- not because i'm above their 75ths, but because I'm in love with a woman.  I'll take what I can get.

Anyone else get this today?  the waiver form actually has the code CRSGLBT on it.  it's a pretty good mailing, with a mini law magazine featuring their graduates who work for gay rights and a letter from the "gender, sexuality, and the law" professor.

I got it, too.  I pulled it out of the giant envelope, took one look at the magazine, went "oop!," and shoved it back in.  So, warning for all those needing to play it cool: this one looks normal, but is pretty obvious once it comes out of the envelope.

P.S.  I thought the waiver code was pretty interesting as well.

Wow, I am so glad I told my mom to junk the Northeastern mailing! That one would have been disastrous. Crisis averted. :: Whew::
HLS '10

LSN

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »
I just got a box from my mom with all the mail that has been accumulating at home and there were all the LGBT promo materials from Oregon, the LGBT fee waiver from Northeastern, etc. I am so glad my mom doesn't open my mail unless I tell her to.

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »
Do they really send stuff to your permanent address?? I thought they sent it to your mailing address?? wtf??

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2006, 07:13:01 PM »
Do they really send stuff to your permanent address?? I thought they sent it to your mailing address?? wtf??

Almost everything I have received from any law school, and it's been tons, has gone to my permanent address (including the few LGBT mailings). My mom has had to send me small boxes of law school related mail every couple of weeks, kind of annoying.

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2006, 05:24:05 AM »
that's weird - I get everything at my mailing address... at least so far... i hope it stays that way

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2006, 10:05:11 AM »
I was getting stuff at my permanent address back in September.  I put my school address in for permanent after I discovered that, and no mail has been sent anywhere but here ever since.

My sister sent me this today: http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/12/19/gilligan
it references this site: http://www.truthwinsout.org/  which I don't remember ever hearing about before.

I mention it here because Gilligan is a law professor at NYU.  I had heard of her in relation to Women's Studies stuff but never law.  This grain of info makes me like NYU a bit more.  I went complete there yesterday-- a happy coincidence.
Teach For America*Chicago

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2006, 11:42:49 PM »
congrats, Slayer!
Teach For America*Chicago