Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152916 times)

topher

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »
Hey, Bridget.  He has contacted T4A, and they said that they are willing to be flexible about his placement.  They should find out sometime soon (Nov 7, I believe), and they'll place him someplace to begin with; then, if our school stuff doesn't work out, then he will not do T4A--shhh!  Don't tell them!  As long as they are willing to work with him, then we should be fine.  They told him that there's a good chance that they can switch him if towns aren't congruous.  We also care for his ailing grandmother, who is in a wheelchair, so that's a factor that T4A said they would consider as well.  We'll see how it works out.  I'm 26, so I'm a bit older and I can't wait any longer to go to school. 

That's neat that you guys are in a similar situation, though!  You guys won't be applying until the next cycle, though--is that what I'm hearing?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »
Thanks!  We certainly hope that everything works out for us, too!  And I hope that thinkgs work out for you guys, also, though judging by your numbers, you'll have your pick.  What does your partner do?

Thanks...yeah, I'm hoping my numbers give me some good options!  My partner is an investment banker so we have to stay in an area with a large finance industry.  I'm focused right now on California and the East Coast, although Chicago also has both great law schools and some good banking opportunities.

Topher and Bridget-- Good luck on the TFA placements!  It sounds like a great service experience.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

degrassi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2006, 02:23:20 PM »
Glad to have found this thread!

I just wanted to comment on the LGBT mailings: I've gotten them from Penn, Columbia and Harvard... I think that is it. They DO send these to your permanent address. And I'd been having my mother open my law school mailings to let me know where I got fee waivers. She's not exactly accepting, in that she isn't accepting at all, so it was not pleasant when she got these letters.

I used one of the strategies somebody mentioned earlier in the thread about pretending they send that to everyone and not knowing why I got it (I got it because I checked the box!)... but I don't know if that worked. My mom was so crazy when I came out (well, I didn't come out, she sort of figured it out...) that I honestly had to just keep lying to her and so now she has deluded herself to believe that I am not, in fact, gay. She's 65, folks; I don't know what to do about her.

Anyways, glad to be here and good luck to everyone!
HLS '10

LSN

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »
Hey, Bridget.  He has contacted T4A, and they said that they are willing to be flexible about his placement.  They should find out sometime soon (Nov 7, I believe), and they'll place him someplace to begin with; then, if our school stuff doesn't work out, then he will not do T4A--shhh!  Don't tell them!  As long as they are willing to work with him, then we should be fine.  They told him that there's a good chance that they can switch him if towns aren't congruous.  We also care for his ailing grandmother, who is in a wheelchair, so that's a factor that T4A said they would consider as well.  We'll see how it works out.  I'm 26, so I'm a bit older and I can't wait any longer to go to school. 

That's neat that you guys are in a similar situation, though!  You guys won't be applying until the next cycle, though--is that what I'm hearing?

I'm applying now, she's applying next year.  So, we'll have to do at least a year in different cities... I'm gunning for a chicago placement so I'll just be a train ride away.  She's abroad right now though, so even though it sucks we know it's possible to do long distance.  Different application years and different numbers mean we're taking more of a "look at schools in the same city" approach.

degrassi, sorry to hear about the problems with your mom.  sucks when the people who are supposed to love you unconditionally... don't.
Teach For America*Chicago

topher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2006, 11:17:59 AM »
That does suck, degrassi.  My mom was pretty uncomfortable about it, but she's gotten progressively better.  My partner's parents are totally supportive, though.  I'm sure if there were a PFLAG branch around, D's mom would totally be president!

So, Bridget, I'm unclear about when you're applying to law schools.  We're definitely looking at Chicago as a top option.  D's going to go ahead and apply for schools and then request to defer if he is accepted into T4A.  I'll just be going directly to school.

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »
I'm applying this year, but will defer if I get Teach for America.  It's such a competitive program that I don't want to depend on it. Since I know I want to go to law school and they almost universally allow deferrals for TFA, I'm doing all the applying now.  But my girlfriend still has a year of undergrad left, so she's stuck here in central Illinois.  It's pretty tricky to plan for one person, let alone two people on different schedules.

topher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2006, 11:40:03 AM »
Tell me about it!  That's exactly what D is doing.  He just had his interview and should know back on November 7, which is pretty cool.  It'll be nice, though, because that means that he'll have a salary while I'm in my first two years of law school.  Hopefully, I'll be able to work some during my third year, while he's in his first year.  Have you gotten all of your apps in? Where all are you applying?  That'd  be neat if we ended up at the same place?!

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »
unfortunately, no.  apps are this weekend's project.  I have most of the elements in place, just need a block of time to sit down and put it all together.  I haven't really finalized a list yet, so I suppose that's another problem ;)  my numbers are borderline for some of the schools I'm interested in, so I'm deciding whether to bite the $ bullet and apply anyway or be realistic.  what schools are on your list?

on the topic of the thread, Northeastern sent me a link to their student blogs... they've got two queer students in the "diversity" section.  http://blogs.chatuniversity.com/northeastern/

Dukie07

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »
Hey guys,

So I just wrote a rough draft of a diversity statement.  It deals with some gay issues/southern baptism, etc.  I know this isnt the proper forum for this, but I don't want to be subjected to potential disrespect, etc...I was wondering if someone could look at it and let me know what you think?  I'm not sure if it's cheesy or what.  Just PM me if you're willing...I'll bake you cookies.  Thanks so much!

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »
Dukie, I'm happy to read your PS. 

and as a general piece of knowledge, I've had my queer-related PS/DS read by lots of people on this board and haven't had any disrespect- lots of constructive criticism and support.