Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 152079 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2006, 05:18:41 AM »
I checked off the box and haven't gotten anything via mail re: LGBT stuff.  In fact, all I've gotten so far is an e-mail from UMichigan's Outlaws group.  I think most schools are pretty understanding and won't send any pamplets or anything without your prior permission.  And like Phyllis said, if you do get something, you could always play it off.

The LGBT recruiting material I received by mail was all enclosed in envelopes and looked like any old admissions info.  I think it started coming sometime around Thanksgiving; you'll definitely get the stuff I did, Mike.  For those of you who are not out to your parents or have otherwise uncomfortable relationships with them around this issue, I can assure you that there's nothing that says, you know, "This is the hot gay XXX law school action you requested, you sodomite" or whatever.  But still, it can't hurt to receive your own mail, right?

Miss P -- Do you remember which schools send out LGBT recruiting materials?
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

The ones I remember sending mailings were Penn and Columbia.  I think I also got something from Northeastern and maybe one other school.  I also received a bunch of emails, most of which were, somewhat surprisingly, from Oklahoma City University.  I understand that some people from my cycle (see, e.g., Practiceboy and Su/Dread Pirate Roberts) received more stuff, which may be a result of their superior academic records or of my narrow geographical range (I checked only the boxes for NY, MA, PA, MI, and IL).  I hope this is helpful.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2006, 01:27:10 PM »
Quote from: mike245 on Today at 05:18:41 AM

The ones I remember sending mailings were Penn and Columbia.

Bummer Miss P, I haven't gotten anything from Penn or Columbia. Will you remind me of your scores?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »
Quote from: mike245 on Today at 05:18:41 AM

The ones I remember sending mailings were Penn and Columbia.

Bummer Miss P, I haven't gotten anything from Penn or Columbia. Will you remind me of your scores?

Oh, don't worry: IIRC, they didn't come until around or after Thanksgiving.  I took the October 2005 test, scoring in the low 170s.  I'm sure those of you with higher scores and/or better undergraduate records (this means just about everyone) will do at least as well as I did in terms of gay recruiting materials.  :)

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2006, 09:56:18 PM »
Higher than the low 170's?! You have severely overestimated my talents, Miss P., but thank you.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »
Higher than the low 170's?! You have severely overestimated my talents, Miss P., but thank you.

Well, who knows about the LSAT, silly test.  But if you rationally believe that you have a chance of getting into an ABA-accredited law school, I can pretty much guarantee that you have a better undergraduate record than I did.

LAcreole

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Struggle Continues
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2006, 02:06:22 AM »
Not that I'm applying to any of these schools, but I am curious to know how well is the representation of black LGBT population at Yale, Harvard, NYU and GTown?
Sellouts for sale: 19.99 for reg. and 29.99 for the limit edition ones. Disclaimer: Not for a limited time only,they keep coming by the mintues.

lyquidmyrrrh

• AOL Instant Messenger - lyquidmyrrrh
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:37 PM »
Did any of you all get the letter from Lambda at Harvard?  I just received it over the weekend.  I also received a letter from Outlaws at Columbia a few weeks ago... 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2006, 12:54:04 PM »
Not that I'm applying to any of these schools, but I am curious to know how well is the representation of black LGBT population at Yale, Harvard, NYU and GTown?

My guess would be: not so hot.  If it helps with perspective, there are 55-60 African-American students per class at Harvard and GULC, somewhere around 40 per class at NYU, and 15-20 per class at Yale.  I think.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »
Did any of you all get the letter from Lambda at Harvard?  I just received it over the weekend.  I also received a letter from Outlaws at Columbia a few weeks ago... 

Nothing for me from Harvard or Columbia yet.  I did, however, get some APALSA mailing from Columbia a few weeks ago--maybe I'm only entitled to one minority group mailing from them?
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!