Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 155393 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2006, 03:20:46 AM »
Sweet sweet queer theory! Can you elaborate about why it wouldn't be so great to be queer @ Cardozo? I will press my Outlaw boy too, thanks for the advice!

It was just a vibe, actually.  So please don't take me too seriously.  And while we're at it, since you're new, I should warn you that you should probably never take me very seriously. :)  I hope the Outlaw boy is helpful!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2006, 05:25:02 PM »
Mike suggested I post here sooo here I am.    Im 24, gay, living in boston, currently teaching high school, and applying for admission this cycle.  My school list spans almost the entirety tier one--- I was scoring 175-178 on practice lsat exmas, but am not too confident on my performance on the Spetember LSAT----so I really havent narrowed my field yet.  I actually have NYU and the University of Denver on my list--clearly I need the LSAT score to come back. 

Does anyone have suggetions to schools I should be looking at?  Im not sure what type of law I would like to practice--Ive considered LGBT legal advocacy but am not sure that its for me.  My UGPA was a 3.68 LSAT...uhmmmmmm Ill let you know in a week and a half.  Id like to spend the next three years in a relatively tolerant urban area--Ill be moving from Boston and don't really want too much of a culture shock.

Also, it might be cool to figure out who some of you are beyond your avatars

Hope all is well.  Oh and has anyone else the latent or not so latent heterosexism/homophioba of LSN; so strange.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33:01 PM »
Oh and has anyone else the latent or not so latent heterosexism/homophioba of LSN; so strange.

Not-so-latent, and both.  It's nice to see someone acknowledge it, Bouzie.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »
Hi Tom,

Maybe you won't even have to move away from Boston and subject yourself to culture shock.  My GPA was exactly yours. 

Here are my estimates:
174: Harvard
171: Columbia
170: NYU
169: Penn
167: Mich/GULC/NU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2006, 06:43:49 PM »
Mike suggested I post here sooo here I am.    Im 24, gay, living in boston, currently teaching high school, and applying for admission this cycle.  My school list spans almost the entirety tier one--- I was scoring 175-178 on practice lsat exmas, but am not too confident on my performance on the Spetember LSAT----so I really havent narrowed my field yet.  I actually have NYU and the University of Denver on my list--clearly I need the LSAT score to come back. 

Does anyone have suggetions to schools I should be looking at?  Im not sure what type of law I would like to practice--Ive considered LGBT legal advocacy but am not sure that its for me.  My UGPA was a 3.68 LSAT...uhmmmmmm Ill let you know in a week and a half.  Id like to spend the next three years in a relatively tolerant urban area--Ill be moving from Boston and don't really want too much of a culture shock.

Also, it might be cool to figure out who some of you are beyond your avatars

Hope all is well.  Oh and has anyone else the latent or not so latent heterosexism/homophioba of LSN; so strange.

Welcome, Bouzie!  It's nice to see a few more gay people popping up on LSD.  Last year, the number seemed much higher, but maybe it's still early in the cycle and we'll get more.

I'm sure that you did fine on your LSAT--most people perform pretty close to their practice averages on test day unless something absolutely disastrous happened.  I was also practicing in that same range, had some doubts following the test and ended up with a good score.  You have a good GPA and I think if you stand an excellent shot at most schools, even if you underperformed on the LSAT a bit.

It's probably too early to suggest schools since you don't have a score yet, but have you thought about law schools in California?  I live in the SF Bay Area and we've got a number of great schools, and the area is fun and very gay-friendly.

Good luck on your cycle!
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Bouzie1982

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2006, 07:19:54 PM »
Hey Absy.  Thanks-My name is Tom, but im prettty sure you were replying to me.  I sure hope your predictions are close ;)---Also hoping I didn't mess up to majorly that I have to retake LSATS.  Looks like you're loving Harvard.  I'm not sure there are many places in the world to live better than Cambridge.  Tomorrow night Im heading to Phoenix Landing on Mass ave for saturday night 80s dancing--Cheap drinks, uberliberals, and Pat Benetar---how can that be beat?

Mike,

I was pretty surprised by the lack of LGBT applicants posting to the board as well.  Perhaps they're all just sick of bickering.  Where is your first choice?  Your numbers are amazing, congratulations on all of the hard work that IM sure it took to achieve them.  I have been considering schools in California, but like you said, its nigh on impossible to tell where I have a shot until the LSAT score comes back.  Ive been looking at Boalt and UCLA if my scores are where I'd like them to be, USC if they're a bit below.  I'd love to be in San francisco but Hastings doesn't look too impressive.  What are your feelings about LA?  I haven't heard many positives.

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2006, 09:34:59 PM »
Oh and has anyone else the latent or not so latent heterosexism/homophioba of LSN; so strange.

Not-so-latent, and both.  It's nice to see someone acknowledge it, Bouzie.

it wasn't quite so obvious to me until just recently.  maybe that could be a factor in why there aren't many folks on LSD?
Teach For America*Chicago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2006, 03:48:21 AM »
I was pretty surprised by the lack of LGBT applicants posting to the board as well.  Perhaps they're all just sick of bickering.  Where is your first choice?  Your numbers are amazing, congratulations on all of the hard work that IM sure it took to achieve them.  I have been considering schools in California, but like you said, its nigh on impossible to tell where I have a shot until the LSAT score comes back.  Ive been looking at Boalt and UCLA if my scores are where I'd like them to be, USC if they're a bit below.  I'd love to be in San francisco but Hastings doesn't look too impressive.  What are your feelings about LA?  I haven't heard many positives.

My top choices of the moment are Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Boalt, if I get into those schools.  Location is my biggest concern, since my bf is pretty settled at his job and relocation would be difficult.  However, money is also a consideration, since I'd kind of nervous about going into significant debt.

LA is, in my experience, pretty gay friendly and very fun, although mostly near Hollywood, Santa Monica and UCLA.  There are a sizable gay district and some fun clubs, although they can get rowdy.  USC, however, isn't in such a nice part of LA.

I hear that Penn, Cornell and Michigan are also doing lots of LGBT outreach, but I don't know how exciting it would be to live in AA or Ithaca.  I think this is interesting, though: http://www.umoutlaws.org/2006/02/note-where-boys-are-1ls-ruminations-on.html
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

cgriffi1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2006, 01:04:12 PM »
hey, i'm gay and was wondering if i should check off the "Gay Box" because I hadn't really planned on writting about it. How will this help/hurt my chances of getting in??

Also, I REALLY want to go to school in a city w/ a comfortable gay population. I'm already looking at schools in NY, Boston, LA, Atlanta, Chicago...any more suggestions?

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2006, 09:41:10 PM »
Gay Box: From what I understand it can't hurt, unless maybe you're applying to an actively Catholic school like Ave Maria, and I think there's like one other. But mostly I think it can only help you. Anyway: do you really want to go to a school where being gay would hurt your chances for admission?!

As far as gay-friendly cities, try writing to someone from the gay group on campus (you can get their email addresses at the school's website or in the gay section of LSAC) and asking them whatever questions are important to you. I've been doing that, and people have been very friendly and happy to help.