Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153401 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The LGBTQ Thread
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »
This thread for all the LGBTQ folks here on LSD.  Introduce yourself, ask questions about anything, or just chat!
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

bossfan2

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: LGBT applicants in the upcoming cycle
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
I'm actually done applying and am starting LS about 6 weeks, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.  I only came out in my personal statement because my activism is what is driving me to attend LS and my activism is almost all gay right-related.

That's the general advice I got--to come out only as much as is relevant to the point of your personal statement.  Make sure it makes sense in your story or it might sound like you're coming out just to milk the diversity factor (not that there's anything wrong with milking the diversity factor--just don't make it obvious...heh...)  Of course, had there been an "LGBT" box to check on the application, I would have done that, even if my personal statement was about horseback riding or something...

Good luck to you!  Where are you thinking of applying?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 07:07:12 PM »
Having just looked at his LSN, I'm not sure that Mike 245 needs to milk his LGBT status or anything else!  He's in pretty good shape.

FWIW, I haven't seen any evidence that schools really consider queerness to be worth a whole lot.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

lyquidmyrrrh

• AOL Instant Messenger - lyquidmyrrrh
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:17:45 PM »
NYU and Berkeley are on the top of my list.  Hey of the top 14, do you guys know any schools that aren't queer-friendly?  I'm thinking UVa and Duke...  But what about others?

And, I don't intend to come out in my application at all because it's not really relavant to any of the achievments upon which I intend to focus...  From what I understand, there really isn't much advantage in the application process given to queer folks anyway.

Phatmal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »
I thought about checking the LSAC box but in the end decided not to as I figured that the chances of it helping me were pretty slim as my number one school (and attending) is located in one of the most densly gay populated cities in the country.  I wouldn't count schools out because of it either.  I've been rather suprised how little people really care about gayness these days for the most part.  The only time it would matter is if you are single and don't want to be, or are coupled and don't want the temptation for that matter. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 07:37:15 PM »
Columbia and Penn both send out LGBT-specific recruiting materials if you check the box (and maybe meet certain other eligibility criteria).  It didn't help me out much, but if you're interested, you should go ahead and check it.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

lyquidmyrrrh

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:46:55 PM »
I did check the box, but I had no idea what kind of materials I would receive.  At this point that whole system is a bit of a disappointment, since I all I have received are materials from such fine institutions as the Tourno law center and Texas Wesleyan University inviting me to apply for this fall!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
I did check the box, but I had no idea what kind of materials I would receive.  At this point that whole system is a bit of a disappointment, since I all I have received are materials from such fine institutions as the Tourno law center and Texas Wesleyan University inviting me to apply for this fall!

I think Penn's comes in October or November and Columbia's in December.  IIRC, Columbia's recruiting is all very late, almost as if they are asking people to apply late in order to pad their application numbers.

Oh, also, expect Oklahoma City University to send you a bunch of recruiting emails.  Those were pretty sweet, actually.

lyquidmyrrrh

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »
Cool, I look forward to checking out all the mail.  So where are you going to law school, Missy P?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 07:54:50 PM »
I'm going to Brooklyn.  I had an, errr... uneven undergraduate record!