Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 153758 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2006, 03:17:45 PM »
Did any of you all get the letter from Lambda at Harvard?  I just received it over the weekend.  I also received a letter from Outlaws at Columbia a few weeks ago... 

Nothing for me from Harvard or Columbia yet.  I did, however, get some APALSA mailing from Columbia a few weeks ago--maybe I'm only entitled to one minority group mailing from them?

You're Asian?  For some reason I always pictured you as a fat white guy.

Heh...yep. I'm a skinny Asian guy.  Do I come off sounding fat and white?  Maybe I should put up a self-avatar...
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »
Aw, thanks!  You're really friendly too!

BTW: I love your 'tar. =)

lyquidmyrrrh

• AOL Instant Messenger - lyquidmyrrrh
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2006, 06:37:11 PM »
Mike- that's weird that you didn't get that mailing from Harvard.  I just received it on Saturday, so maybe you'll get yours today...  It makes sense why Columbia would want to recruit gay men, since I think we would all have a predisposition towards NYU.

LAcreole

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Struggle Continues
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2006, 09:43:57 PM »
Not that I'm applying to any of these schools, but I am curious to know how well is the representation of black LGBT population at Yale, Harvard, NYU and GTown?

My guess would be: not so hot.  If it helps with perspective, there are 55-60 African-American students per class at Harvard and GULC, somewhere around 40 per class at NYU, and 15-20 per class at Yale.  I think.

Thanks Miss P
Sellouts for sale: 19.99 for reg. and 29.99 for the limit edition ones. Disclaimer: Not for a limited time only,they keep coming by the mintues.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2006, 01:03:45 AM »
Not that I'm applying to any of these schools, but I am curious to know how well is the representation of black LGBT population at Yale, Harvard, NYU and GTown?

we have two members on our executive board and more in the student body, but we could always improve.

if anyone ever has any questions, feel free to ask me.  and if you wanted to get another point of view, I could put you in touch with someone.

LAcreole

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Struggle Continues
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2006, 05:49:51 PM »
Thanks absy
Sellouts for sale: 19.99 for reg. and 29.99 for the limit edition ones. Disclaimer: Not for a limited time only,they keep coming by the mintues.

topher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »
Hello, All.  I'm new to this board and certainly new to this particular thread.  I am glad to know that the gays are still a kickin' out there! 

I have an interesting situation.  My partner and I are both applying to law schools, which might be unusual--I'm not sure.  Anyway, we talked to law professors here and an admissions person at Northwestern, and they all encouraged us to include an addendum on our application that talks about our situation.  We basically said, "We're here.  We're queer. We are going to law school together."  We don't know how it will impact decisions, but we did make it clear that we were not an "either/or" kind of deal.  We wanted them to know, though, that our decision about law schools is somewhat contingent on the others' acceptance.  Anyway, I just thought I would share this with the group. 

PS.  I came out in my personal statement, as did my partner.  I talked about how being gay shaped my understanding of how culture interacts with people's identities.  My partner wants to do public service/civil rights work, so it was relevant to them.  I got the feeling from earlier posts that people thought that coming out might not be a good thing, and I just don't understand that line of reasoning.  I think being gay provides a unique perspective that not many (well, I guess about 10%) have.  Even if it does come across as "Hey, I'm gay," I still think that it won't hurt. 

Anyway, that's my bit.  Glad to know you all--and who knows, maybe we'll see each other in the fall! 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2006, 05:55:26 PM »
Welcome and good luck on your apps, topher!  What schools are you and your partner applying to?

I know it's not quite like attending the same school, but you two could also focus on particular geographic areas and then target schools in that vicinity, i.e., Columbia and NYU, Chicago and Northwestern, UCLA and USC, or Boalt and Stanford, etc.  I hope everything works out.

topher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2006, 09:36:06 AM »
Thanks, Mike!  We are applying to ten of the top 14, leaving out the schools in Virginia and California.  We don't think that we could live there and both do what we want to do, so that was a pretty easy decision. 

We are very aware of the geographic compatibility of NW and Chicago, though. In fact, in our addendum, we mention something specifically about having options that fit geographically.  Incidentally, he wouldn't be going to school at the same time as me because he wants to do Teach for America.  Like I said, he's REALLY public service driven, and that's why I love him!

Thanks!  We certainly hope that everything works out for us, too!  And I hope that thinkgs work out for you guys, also, though judging by your numbers, you'll have your pick.  What does your partner do?

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2006, 11:28:10 AM »
topher, my SO and I are in a similar spot except I'm the one hopefully doing teach for america, and she won't be applying until next year.  TFA hasn't done the first round of placements yet... would you go to school wherever he gets placed for the two years?
Teach For America*Chicago