Law School Discussion

The LGBTQ Thread

Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #620 on: October 21, 2007, 08:49:26 PM »
ohhh. I got it now. guess this isn't for me.

« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »
I guess I'm a noob, what does LGBT mean.

Oh my...reality check (for me, not him)

Roy Lichtenstein

• I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 22, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »
I have a question for my fellow gays.

On American's application, one of their questions is:

"The law school seeks a diverse student body.  Please indiciate the racial, ethnic, cultural, or socioeconomic group to which you belong.  Please attach a separate statement explaining how your status is of special relevance to this application."

Would being gay warrant one to answer this question and write this essay?  My first reaction is, no, I guess unless being gay is considered a cultural group.  Thoughts?

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 22, 2007, 11:59:28 AM »

"The law school seeks a diverse student body.  Please indiciate the racial, ethnic, cultural, or socioeconomic group to which you belong.  Please attach a separate statement explaining how your status is of special relevance to this application."

Would being gay warrant one to answer this question and write this essay?  My first reaction is, no, I guess unless being gay is considered a cultural group.  Thoughts?

There was a question phrased like that on one of my apps (Columbia, I think) and I decided it didn't really fit.  And I think ti was worded somewhat more broadly than yours.

Roy Lichtenstein

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 22, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »

There was a question phrased like that on one of my apps (Columbia, I think) and I decided it didn't really fit.  And I think ti was worded somewhat more broadly than yours.

That is what I expected.  Thanks!

« Reply #625 on: October 22, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »
Question: my understanding of the diversity addendum is that it's supposed to be VERY brief--that essentially schools are interested in knowing your minority status.  Is the addendum supposed to be an entire separate essay?  This thread has me a bit worried because my applications are submitted already.  I submitted an addendum to a few schools, and it was basically a short paragraph that said "I'm openly gay, this has shaped both my personal character and my political and social outlook, blah blah"  Is this going to hurt me?

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 22, 2007, 12:44:28 PM »
Question: my understanding of the diversity addendum is that it's supposed to be VERY brief--that essentially schools are interested in knowing your minority status.  Is the addendum supposed to be an entire separate essay?  This thread has me a bit worried because my applications are submitted already.  I submitted an addendum to a few schools, and it was basically a short paragraph that said "I'm openly gay, this has shaped both my personal character and my political and social outlook, blah blah"  Is this going to hurt me?

In essays other than the personal statement, they should only be long enough to convey the information in a meaningful way.  Does this mean it should be less than half a page?  No, but I generally wouldn't advise going more than 2 pages.

My diversity statement was actually a page and a half, and I actually turned it into my 2 page personal statement, since I felt they could get a feel for me as a person and the diverity I would bring, and if you don't have really good content to add, you don't want to bury the great content youhave with mediocre filler.

Bouzie

• yummy
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 22, 2007, 08:21:11 PM »

you're forgetting that none of us know what the Hell we're talking about.  Don't sweat it, you'll be fine ;)

Roy Lichtenstein

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 23, 2007, 07:26:02 AM »
Bouzie, hope things are going well at U of M.  :)

« Reply #629 on: October 23, 2007, 05:08:11 PM »
hey thanks for the help/advice... i just got back from my visit to u of wisconsin law.. was a nice place and seemed to be rather progressive, being gay wouldnt probably even make any difference there compared to where im at in Mississippi-which is good! I think i had a lousy tour guide who was rather careless but the school is mostly remodeled and Madison is a great urban place to be.

Anybody else looking at UW-Madison?

Best of luck to you all!