Law School Discussion

The LGBTQ Thread

Quail!

• View Profile
Re: The LGBTQ Thread
« Reply #540 on: July 13, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »
Not that I want to turn this into any sort of political debate (I reaaallly don't), but I never really understood the hubbub about calling it "marriage".  Marriage is a historically religious institution (and I don't believe the government has ANY business "marrying" anyone)...so let them have it.  Give me the tax benefits and such, and I'm happy - I don't really care what you call it.

That marriage is a traditionally religious institution isn't particularly relevant in my view since many faiths sanction and perform same-sex marriages.

That's just what I mean.  Let the religions take complete assumption of the word "marriage" (and get the gov. OUT of it), and have them decide for themselves whether or not they'll sanction it.

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 15, 2007, 12:46:37 AM »
Well, I had way too much time today so I read through this whole thread and just wanted to say hi.

I took the June LSAT and am now trying to decide where I want to go.  Based on this thread, UPenn and Michigan look like really good options, but I'm not really sure what schools I can get into.  My first choice would be Harvard, but I don't think that's going to happen, or my second choice, Columbia.  Does anybody know what the LGBT environment at Columbia is like?

Thanks, and I look forward to talking to all of you.

Matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 17, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »
Wow, I really killed this thread, didn't I?

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #543 on: July 17, 2007, 03:07:49 PM »
Awww, no way. I've been on sabbatical due to travel and I'm just returning to LSD, so welcome. I do not know about Columbia but its NYC, so I wouldn't worry. However, Penn is the way to go.  ;)

Matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 17, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »
Awww, no way. I've been on sabbatical due to travel and I'm just returning to LSD, so welcome. I do not know about Columbia but its NYC, so I wouldn't worry. However, Penn is the way to go.  ;)

I'm sure you say that without the slightest bit of bias.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #545 on: July 18, 2007, 06:10:03 AM »

None at all.  ;) But to be fair Michigan was really awesome and Berkeley was pretty cool.

« Reply #546 on: July 18, 2007, 06:13:50 AM »
this thread is approved.

Matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »

None at all.  ;) But to be fair Michigan was really awesome and Berkeley was pretty cool.

I'm doing my undergrad in Hawaii, so I've pretty much decided that I'd like to go to law school somewhere with real winters.  Based on that, I haven't really been looking at UC schools.

« Reply #548 on: July 18, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »
I'm hoping for Columbia too. I assume the GLBT environment is pretty good, although maybe not as developed as it would be at NYU. They seem genuinely commited to diversity at CLS, but I don't know if that extends to GLBT-type diversity.

Helpful, no?

Roy Lichtenstein

• I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 31, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »
Tag.

Just wanted to introduce myself to this thread and try to start it up again.  It's been almost 2 weeks since the last post!

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.  Cheers!