Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The LGBTQ Thread  (Read 155499 times)

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Thread for Fall 2007 Cycle
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »
Aside from stating that L'Auberge Espanole is a great movie, this post isn't very on topic...

I feel stupid for asking this on a law-related board, but can any of you Political Science/government majors explain to me how the massachusetts legislature works?  they voted today to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot that would ban future same sex marriages (though they do still need further approval before it actually goes to voters)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/us/02cnd-gay.html?hp&ex=1167800400&en=b391e32bcf96a04b&ei=5094&partner=homepage

apparently they can put things on the ballot with two votes in which at least 50 members approve.  How the hell do 50 people get to decide for a legislature of 200?
Teach For America*Chicago

Bouzie1982

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2007, 09:17:45 PM »
Aside from stating that L'Auberge Espanole is a great movie, this post isn't very on topic...

I feel stupid for asking this on a law-related board, but can any of you Political Science/government majors explain to me how the massachusetts legislature works?  they voted today to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot that would ban future same sex marriages (though they do still need further approval before it actually goes to voters)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/us/02cnd-gay.html?hp&ex=1167800400&en=b391e32bcf96a04b&ei=5094&partner=homepage

apparently they can put things on the ballot with two votes in which at least 50 members approve.  How the hell do 50 people get to decide for a legislature of 200?

Hey bridget, I live in Boston, so Im probably mor einformed about this than most.

Since 2004 the Massachusetts Lesgislature has not achiceve a majority same-sex marriage amendment.   Actually, support for SSM among the legislature and the population in general has been increasing since 200, to the point where SSM is suported by about 60% of the electorate and probably a greater portion of the legislature (although I dont know the exact numbers here)

Anti-gay groups are annoyed that theyre losing so they are going through the process of amending the consitituion through citizen initiative.  Basically they has to collect tens of thousands of signatures (they did much of this fradulenty, doing things like asking people to sign a petition to allow wine to be sold in grocery stores when it was actually the ssm petition or asking people to sign other, liberal petitions and telling people they had to sign two forms, the bottom of which was a SSM petition.  Anyway, they got their number with signatures to spare so it didnt matter all that much except in prinicple.

So now what needs to happen is that the state constiutional convention, which consists of the H and the S and totals about 200 members, must have FIFTY votes in support of the meausure for TWO consecutive legislative sessions in order for it to appear on the ballot in 2008.  The Convention first met a few months ago and after hours of debate and protests and all that fun stuff they voted to adjourn without a vote, effectively killing the measure.  So then our crazy republican mormon (sorry mormons) governor who is trying to run for president and is achieving populariuty by trashing our state wherever he goes, takes out a law suit as a private citizen against the massachusetts legislature.  The Supreme Judicial Court, which is a friend of the GLBT community, in a storngly worded opinion said that sep of powers prohibited them from ordering the legislature from doing anything, but that the legislature was not living up to its constitutional responsibility.   So today they voted on in again, and I believe that it passed the 25% needed.  My feeling is that they probably did this to shut Romney up and take away from his campaign winds.  THe last thing any Massachusetts Democrat wants to see is Mitt Romney as president, the guy is truly horrible. 

Anyway, the measure will need to be taken up by the legislature AGAIN next year, where my guess is they will NOT meet the 50 vote threshold.  Even if they do, Massachusetts voters are not going to approve of it if it hits the ballot in 2008.  The TINY conservative base is just not going to concede defeat.  Mass is their worst nightmare bc although gay marriage here originated with the SJC decision, it now has fairly widespread support among Mass residents and politicians.  All of the democratic gubenatorial candidates in this years election were supports of equal marriage, and even the republican joke of a candidate (romneys lt governor) was a strong supporter of civil unions.   Also in an effort not to lose one of our seats in the House Massachsuetts is going through fairly substantial efforts to register our gigantic student base to vote in massachusetts.  Most dont think that the amendment has any chance of passing, but im sure we'll be dealing with it in one form or another for years to come...

DAMN long post, I hope it was at least a little helpful

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2007, 02:51:11 AM »
thanks, bouzie.  i knew some of the history, but I didn't know Mass. was so in favor SSM overall.  it just confused me that something could pass with 50 votes, even if needs to happen twice.  and I was too lazy to go back and review poli sci 101 : )
Teach For America*Chicago

Bouzie1982

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2007, 12:15:05 PM »
thanks, bouzie.  i knew some of the history, but I didn't know Mass. was so in favor SSM overall.  it just confused me that something could pass with 50 votes, even if needs to happen twice.  and I was too lazy to go back and review poli sci 101 : )

We were discussing federalism in my 8th grade Socail Studies class today and one of my kids mentioned the marraige amendment, they were all pretty disgusted with the legislature.  Its nice to see kids, especially at such a young age, recognizing that now allowing for equal marriage rights is pretty ridiculous.  The kids didnt quite get the intricacies of the Massachusetts amednment process though ;)

Bouzie1982

« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
I didn't know that so many people in Mass were so supportive of marriage equality. That made me smile :) so thanks for the post :)

Im not sure if people are supportive or just sick of the damned issue.  Im just glad romney is gone.  BTW, hes running for president; please dont vote for him.   ;)

Bouzie1982

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »
Slayer,

I'm sorry about the comments you had to endure today; I hate that type of stuff too.

I just checked out your LSN, is Michigan your first choice?  If so we could be UM Outlaws pals....well if a miracle happens or I score how im supposed to on my february lsat (haha)!

I think I need to stop posting to this thread, I feel like Im monopolizing...

kates

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
Since we're talking about Michigan . . . my status checker went to decision yesterday. Eeeeeeeekkkk. Pray for me, heh heh, or whatever we heathens do!  ;)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2007, 08:24:45 PM »
Since we're talking about Michigan . . . my status checker went to decision yesterday. Eeeeeeeekkkk. Pray for me, heh heh, or whatever we heathens do!  ;)

Good luck, kates!  I guess I count as a heathen, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed for you.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Bouzie1982

« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2007, 09:46:09 PM »
Mike,

CONGRATS ON YALE!  You make the gays proud.

Bouzie1982

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:29 AM »
I thread for the gays - how did I miss it??? I'll join up belatedly now. Any more time spent in the "What will GW do this week???" thread and my hair will fall out.

Trying worrying about 18 outstanding applications during the night while teaching a room full of 13 year olds.  Had to shave my head at age 24 ;)

At least I lucked out with a hot cranium.

Good luck with GW!!